Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

46 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Not doing too bad. MDW’s 25F is questionable but ORD is down to 32F on the 1-min data. 

edit: ORD Td now down to 27F. 

ORD is 72/26 at 00z.  You don't see that very often in June.  

Meanwhile, swing over to Gary and the dewpoint is 50.  They are much closer to the lake.

The dewpoint of 26 is certainly near record territory for Chicago in June, if not a record.   Impossible to say for sure because there is a considerable amount of missing data especially as you go back through the 1990s and earlier.  It is the lowest dewpoint in June in at least the last 20+ years.  There was an intrahour reading of 27 on 6/10/2004, but looking at dewpoint readings just before/after, it appears to be erroneous as the dewpoint went from the 60s to the 20s and then right back into the 60s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

59 early this morning but already back up to 82.  Dews still pretty meager in the mid 50s.  Looking forward to Iowa sloppy seconds later tonight.  

Must be a hell of a crop of cottonwood seeds this year.  Just cleaned off the AC condenser fins and they were pretty caked up with them.  

Or coming south from WI...latest HRRR shows hardly anything forming in IA through 05Z tonight.

Thunderstorms last night rolled through between here and Duluth. Nice lightning show, nothing too serious. More noise from folks setting off high power fireworks. Neighbors down the way must buy large amounts. They set them off all summer. The kind they have are illegal here, so blow a couple, then quit so the cops can't catch them in the act. Almost every night now they will be going off. And other folks in the neighborhood sometimes get those, too, so it gets real noisy after sunset close to the 4th.

2 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

3.8 earthquake awhile ago near Rockville IN.  Shook my cousin's house in Monon for 15 seconds

Felt it pretty good here in Noblesville. Sounded like a huge gust of wind hit the building but when my monitor started shaking like crazy, I knew it was an earthquake. 

Did not feel anything, but other people in the area did, which is not too surprising as earthquakes in this part of the country tend to be felt at much farther distances compared to out west.

Wonder if this one was on the northern end of the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone.  Can't remember exactly how far north that goes.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nm60344372/executive

A somewhat toned down version of what happened in Minnesota that one night is happening farther east.  It's 85/70 in MLI... ok, that's not so shocking.  But go farther east into the LOT cwa and you find many readings still near or even above 80 with much drier dews in 50s to low 60s.  Why hasn't it cooled off more?  Airmass aloft is quite warm (850 mb temps in the 20s C) and winds have stayed up a bit.

I just got an amazing 3 rounds/cells of storms within a hour that was actually substantial! Got fantastic lightning that was non-stop with multi-modes - the 3rd was high-based lightning that transitioned to traditional near the end when a cell merge occurred. Reminds me of the good stuff when I was a kid, its been too long lol. One of the most fearsome strikes shook the windows harder than it has in years. What's ironic is there were no thunderstorms shown on either my quarterly or hourly forecast when usually its vice-versa. Not much rain, likely around 2-3 mm and I didn't get any high winds nor hail. Even as I'm writing this somehow more lightning is persisting off in the distance. These were the most potent in all of SON thus far, I thought it was going to be a non-story with the way this line weakened after moving through Huron hours earlier. I have to say I'm impressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

96 at LAF.  Is this the day it reaches 100?  Looks like there'll be increasing clouds to deal with later.

There is a 100 degree reading on the 5 min obs, so accounting for possible rounding, the high will be at least 99.

• Like 1

LAF did hit 100 today.  As it is my former home, I put together a little something for this momentous occasion.

Congratulations to all residents of Lafayette, you made it through a hot one

Today you stand alone in Indiana, second to none

Some won't like it, others may consider it a gift from the heavens

One man surely loves it, your local met Chad Evans

At least the triple digits have given us something to talk about

All the more impressive, it was done while not in a drought

How many more hundred degree days will there be, no one can tell

But if you aren't a fan of 100 degree days, I think you can go straight to...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3