Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

On 6/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, Brian D said:

Wow, Vegas sure is a hot, nasty place in June sometimes. Without A/C in the early years, that had to be absolutely miserable.

Las Vegas June 110 greater chrt.png

On 6/14/2021 at 4:29 PM, TimB84 said:

Was thinking about this with respect to Phoenix the other day, but I think it applies to Vegas too. I’m 100% sure neither would have exploded in population to become the large cities they are today if not for A/C. 

It's all a matter of perspective.

They think the same thing when you guys are dealing with temps below zero in the winter.'

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

They think the same thing when you guys are dealing with temps below zero in the winter.'

Agree with that, but a massive number of people in Phoenix and Las Vegas are transplants from other, colder areas. Would those transplants have moved there if a/c didn’t exist? That was the intent of my comment.

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Agree with that, but a massive number of people in Phoenix and Las Vegas are transplants from other, colder areas. Would those transplants have moved there if a/c didn’t exist? That was the intent of my comment.

You can say the same thing about places up north and heaters (which didn't become mainstream until the mid 1800s).

Would all of the folks who migrated from down south and turned those cities to turn into 20th century boomtowns had moved there if central heating didn't exist?  

• Weenie 2

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Got down to 56 here, and currently the dew is 46.  Not too shabby for mid June.

My jaw almost came out of it's sockets this morning when I saw we were included in a slight risk for tomorrow.  

Tell me, what is it like being in the SPC slight risk area?  I can only imagine the elation.  It is something I hope to experience this year.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

Las Vegas and Phoenix would be small blips without AC, that's for sure. Keep in mind their winters are fairly chilly as well, but the drier air certainly feels better when it comes to temperature extremes. I know in Charleston many of the old homes built in the 17-1800's have big covered porches, high ceilings & are built long and narrow based on the direction of the seabreeze. Without a seabreeze I have to imagine it'd be pretty brutal

It’s fun to be tracking WAA-driven nocturnal MCSs again, but a lot is dependent on tonight’s southward-moving convection and any debris-related impacts to heating tomorrow. Looks like a decent cap with the heat-wave associated EML advecting in. Long story short, too many mesoscale things at play to trust any guidance right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, purduewx80 said:

It’s fun to be tracking WAA-driven nocturnal MCSs again, but a lot is dependent on tonight’s southward-moving convection and any debris-related impacts to heating tomorrow. Looks like a decent cap with the heat-wave associated EML advecting in. Long story short, too many mesoscale things at play to trust any guidance right now. 

12z Euro is terrible if you want good activity in northeast IL.  Like you said though, maybe shouldn't trust any particular model.

I guess in the end, folks just learned to deal with heat/cold/weather issues in the past the best way they could. If it was too much, they moved, but economics played big so that wasn't always an option. Now we have all these modern conveniences that allow us to live just about anywhere. Those that seasonally migrate every year are just playing the "Goldilocks" game. Trying to get the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian D said:

I guess in the end, folks just learned to deal with heat/cold/weather issues in the past the best way they could. If it was too much, they moved, but economics played big so that wasn't always an option. Now we have all these modern conveniences that allow us to live just about anywhere. Those that seasonally migrate every year are just playing the "Goldilocks" game. Trying to get the best of both worlds.

Absolutely.