• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

Had a nice sunrise.  You know the general direction to look in of course, but I wasn't exactly sure where the sun was going to pop out from.  It happened to be right behind a tree so I repositioned myself a little bit after taking this pic.

20210610_052156.thumb.jpg.303c396fb8e66e4a98d467bc07ef4df6.jpg

With never seeing a sunrise eclipse before, something I didn't anticipate was that my eclipse glasses wouldn't work very well in the first few minutes after sunrise.  I really couldn't see the sun at all through the glasses at first.  Did take a crappy quality pic through the glasses where you can see a little bite of the sun blocked on the left side 

20210610_052709.thumb.jpg.3bd04f4b5c377540c357e4a61f8fbe12.jpg

• Like 1

I was doing some yard work today and felt sick from the heat...it was "only" 83 dewpoint 68. It really made me cranky lol. I hear friends and family beg for some heat and then they complain! It would be like me begging for a snowstorm then griping about shoveling a 2 inch snowfall. I can't imagine being in Minnesota this week lol. Maybe it's because of the cold may but this week of 80s has felt extra hot.:sun:

There appears to be a problem with the afternoon climate report for ORD.  It has a high of 88, but there were some 5 min obs of 90 throughout the afternoon.  Accounting for possible rounding means the high should've been no lower than 89.

There appears to be a problem with the afternoon climate report for ORD.  It has a high of 88, but there were some 5 min obs of 90 throughout the afternoon.  Accounting for possible rounding means the high should've been no lower than 89.

There’s a transmission issue. OBS stopped reporting at several sites prior to the 4PM OBS.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Hoosier said:

Based on my calculations, Chicago should be around +8 for the month by the time we get to June 10.  Could be a little higher if the coming days were to verify on the warmer end.

If that occurs, then the 11th-30th would only have to average around +1 to get the month into a top 10 warmest June.

Through the 10th, ORD is ~ +8.3

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Climate report has 97.

Airmass aloft is a bit warmer tomorrow.  Could be at least 98-99 there lol.

I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem realistic for RFD.  There wasn't a ton of wind/mixing that would support such a high temp, given the background airmass.  Seems to be a sensor issue or unusual UHI impacts??  When I say "sensor issue", it could be the sensor itself malfunctioning, or that the sensor is located in a spot which leads to a higher temp when the surface is parched (which shouldn't happen, as it's a hyper-local impact which isn't representative of the area).

I know it has been dry there...but it has been just as dry IMBY, and only hit 90 today (which was an overperformer itself). 

Strange...

10 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem realistic for RFD.  There wasn't a ton of wind/mixing that would support such a high temp, given the background airmass.  Seems to be a sensor issue or unusual UHI impacts??  When I say "sensor issue", it could be the sensor itself malfunctioning, or that the sensor is located in a spot which leads to a higher temp when the surface is parched (which shouldn't happen, as it's a hyper-local impact which isn't representative of the area).

I know it has been dry there...but it has been just as dry IMBY, and only hit 91 today (which was an overperformer itself). 

Strange...

It does seem to be on the outer bounds of plausibility.  Looking at temps aloft, surrounding high temps and factoring in some urban effects at RFD, it really shouldn't have gotten past 94 or so, maybe 95 at most.  

I don't think this is a new thing at RFD as they seemed to be running warm months ago.

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

97 here today. Felt the symptoms of heat exhaustion/something worse at work today. Stopped sweating, pounding headache, nauseous, and the occasional hot breeze actually gave me chills. 

Still at a cool 88 at 10:45pm. The insanity continues.

Do you work outside? That is not weather to be fooling around in, stay safe! I honestly cannot recall a stretch of uninterrupted heat here like Minneapolis is a seeing right now. It seems comparable to the late summer 1953 heatwave, although that one was covered a wider area. Still no 90s here. I felt sick working in the yard at 83 and humid. The sun angle near its peak is probably not helping matters. 

21 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Do you work outside? That is not weather to be fooling around in, stay safe! I honestly cannot recall a stretch of uninterrupted heat here like Minneapolis is a seeing right now. It seems comparable to the late summer 1953 heatwave, although that one was covered a wider area. Still no 90s here. I felt sick working in the yard at 83 and humid. The sun angle near its peak is probably not helping matters. 

I know you had covid.  You fully recovered from that?

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yes I’m a field geologist for an engineering firm in Minneapolis. I spend about 80% of my days outside. Ice water and frequent breaks in my trucks AC have been my only respite.

• Like 1