Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

89’d at ORD today. 91 at ex home and 94 at RFD.

6 - RFD
6 - Ex home
4 - ORD
4 - MDW

That 94 at RFD actually broke the daily record from 1934.  I remember RC saying a while back that RFD seemed to be running warm, but I haven't been following it much.

On that subject, looks like a high of 89 at LAF and 80 or 81 at IND.  :P

Edit:  got to 90 at LAF and 82 at IND.

43 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Lake Superior is calling you. It's actually feels chilly here with the stiff Lake wind. :) Around 65-70 here in town.

Might have to take a day trip up there this weekend. We were camping near Hovland over Memorial Day weekend, the late freeze meant remarkably zero bugs, and a low of 37 while we were there.

”Only” got up to 95 today. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That 94 at RFD actually broke the daily record from 1934.  I remember RC saying a while back that RFD seemed to be running warm, but I haven't been following it much.

On that subject, looks like a high of 89 at LAF and 80 or 81 at IND.  :P

In the past RFD did really well when drought conditions were present.  I remember back in 2012 they were one of the hottest spots in IL till they finally got some rain and then other places like MLI and ORD were hotter again.  As for LAF they seem pretty erroneous compared to surrounding sites on a consistent basis.  

Hottest day of the year so far here at 92, MLI/DVN languished at only 91/88 respectively.

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

no. asos should be moved off but near airport property imo.

The weather info from those instruments is meant for airport ops, not climate. And besides, almost the entire record is UHI contaminated, anyway. I've seen small town readings higher like airports because of infrastructure, compared to the truly rural sites. NOAA has invested in the US Climate Reference Network to get a better handle on this issue. Don't know how that is going at the moment, but even they know through studies in recent years how much infrastructure contaminates temperatures. Anthony Watts really brought that to light with his study a decade ago, and NOAA acknowledged his work, and confirmed it. NOAA even did a study on site placement near and away from structures, and found significance there. But no matter what, a cooling/warming signal will always emerge from that noise. Just takes a while.

58 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Might have to take a day trip up there this weekend. We were camping near Hovland over Memorial Day weekend, the late freeze meant remarkably zero bugs, and a low of 37 while we were there.

”Only” got up to 95 today. 

I have seen metro only heat advisories for the past few days down there. Sucks to be you. Ish!!

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

The weather info from those instruments is meant for airport ops, not climate. And besides, almost the entire record is UHI contaminated, anyway. I've seen small town readings higher like airports because of infrastructure, compared to the truly rural sites. NOAA has invested in the US Climate Reference Network to get a better handle on this issue. Don't know how that is going at the moment, but even they know through studies in recent years how much infrastructure contaminates temperatures. Anthony Watts really brought that to light with his study a decade ago, and NOAA acknowledged his work, and confirmed it. NOAA even did a study on site placement near and away from structures, and found significance there. But no matter what, a cooling/warming signal will always emerge from that noise. Just takes a while.

There are a lot of people affected by the UHI effect, so what we are experiencing is real. It’s also a good thing we have plenty of other climate data to back up what is obvious happening globally.  

16 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

There are a lot of people affected by the UHI effect, so what we are experiencing is real. It’s also a good thing we have plenty of other climate data to back up what is obvious happening globally.  

Well said. More people live in areas that are heavily affected by UHI than in areas that are not. As far as I’m concerned, UHI and AGW are almost two sides of the same coin: human activities making the earth warmer and less livable. By that token, it’s irrelevant to try to parse how much of these unprecedentedly hot spells are attributable to AGW vs. UHI, at least if one’s goal is to solve the problem rather than pretend it doesn’t exist.

(Sorry if this is off-topic, but I would argue that it’s not off topic when a significant portion of this sub is currently, in June 2021, experiencing conditions that are way warmer than they have ever been this time of year, and it’s hard to argue that it’s not mostly attributable to AGW or UHI or both.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

There was a lake-breeze-induced funnel cloud that formed out of a small thunderstorm in LaPorte County around 2:30 PM CDT today. 

Edit: Not my photo. It was sent to my TV station by a viewer. 

E3d21ixXMAA3g-5?format=jpg&name=large

Top severe event of the year in Indiana.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

There is a bit of a valley on the south side of the airport, which is not representative of the area, much like there is one about a mile east of the airport.

I agree. Valleyed areas are too cold. like ARB is valleyed. Just like YIP is too warm. It would be a crime if either of those were first order stations lol.

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Well said. More people live in areas that are heavily affected by UHI than in areas that are not. As far as I’m concerned, UHI and AGW are almost two sides of the same coin: human activities making the earth warmer and less livable. By that token, it’s irrelevant to try to parse how much of these unprecedentedly hot spells are attributable to AGW vs. UHI, at least if one’s goal is to solve the problem rather than pretend it doesn’t exist.

(Sorry if this is off-topic, but I would argue that it’s not off topic when a significant portion of this sub is currently, in June 2021, experiencing conditions that are way warmer than they have ever been this time of year, and it’s hard to argue that it’s not mostly attributable to AGW or UHI or both.)

This is a legit question...just curious what parts of the sub are experiencing heat never before seen in early June. My guess is northern MN? It's an odd setup for sure when Duluth is hotter than Dallas on a June afternoon.

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

This is a legit question...just curious what parts of the sub are experiencing heat never before seen in early June. My guess is northern MN? It's an odd setup for sure when Duluth is hotter than Dallas on a June afternoon.

I guess I shouldn’t say “significant”, but yes northern MN as well as the Twin Cities/Western WI. I recognize there’s much, much more to the Midwest than that area.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, madwx said:

Can see the anvils and Cb from the storms along the west coast of Michigan.  Pretty impressive.

I took some video and time-lapse yesterday afternoon.  Heard soft distant thunder but didn't get a single drop of rain, just outflow.  It was interesting how there was some westerly shear but storms were basically stationary.  Low level easterlies cancelled by upper level westerlies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-fjaLstpM

thumb.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I took some video and time-lapse yesterday afternoon.  Heard soft distant thunder but didn't get a single drop of rain, just outflow.  It was interesting how there was some westerly shear but storms were basically stationary.  Low level easterlies cancelled by upper level westerlies.

nice, had a decent view of these from chicago but they crapped out before pushing far enough west to get good pics

2 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

nice, had a decent view of these from chicago but they crapped out before pushing far enough west to get good pics

I bet there was a good view from out in the middle of the lake.  Here the towers to my west were mostly obscured by anvil precip.  Only a few drops made it to the ground IMBY though, along with the outflow breeze.  A cluster of pulse cells popped up 50 miles to the east, which I filmed later in the evening.  Gotta love the new Tampa Bay climo with easterly "trade winds" lol.  Just wish the wealth was spread better.