Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

2 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

UW would still most definitely have the cooling influence of Mendota and to a lesser degree Monona this early in the season. 

ARX is also on the higher terrain above the Mississippi, which is why LSE in the valley is warmer. 

Can’t really explain Duluth since it’s practically on airport property. NWS is surrounded by trees though. 

That’s true, wasn’t thinking about the lakes in Madison having such a big effect but Mendota is a rather large lake.

I suppose the question with La Crosse would be, where were official observations taken prior to the airport? That would shed a lot of light on whether this past week is an alarming, unprecedented anomaly or just a hot week.

3 hours ago, TimB84 said:

That’s true, wasn’t thinking about the lakes in Madison having such a big effect but Mendota is a rather large lake.

I suppose the question with La Crosse would be, where were official observations taken prior to the airport? That would shed a lot of light on whether this past week is an alarming, unprecedented anomaly or just a hot week.

I think LaCrosse was in the valley in the past, too, probably just not in the middle of the river. Just across from the airport is the La Cresent dam, and they have a 7 day avg of 73.4, and Trempealeau dam up the valley has 74.5, so I don't know what say except that the airport is just running warm.

Here's the station thread, plus my analysis of the max/high min records I did a while back. It's up to date till May 2021.

Station Thread for La Crosse Area, WI
Name    Period in Thread
1    LA CROSSE MUNICIPAL AP    02/1986 to 12/2020
2    LA CROSSE WSO    10/1985 to 01/1986
3    LA CROSSE MUNICIPAL AP    01/1951 to 09/1985
4    LA CROSSE    03/1903 to 12/1950
5    LA CROSSE (supplied by NWS)    02/1903 to 02/1903
6    LA CROSSE    11/1896 to 01/1903
7    LA CROSSE (supplied by NWS)    10/1872 to 10/1896

LaCross max min records.png

18 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like a good chance at no rain at all for the next 10 days.  Hope to get under one of the isolated cells tomorrow, but it's looking pretty bleak.  

This is gonna be one of those benchmark seasons we mention in years to come, "at least this ain't like 2021" etc. lol. :facepalm:

At least I may get to flood the drought thread with posts.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Hit 89 here today with hit and miss storms missing this area.  Heard some thunder leaving work which was nice.  3rd thunder event this year lol.

The sky was nice today with a lot of billowing towers and occasional distant rumbles.  Outflow boundaries from small cells that popped up all around kept the temperature in the low 80s, but still barely enough rain to wet the ground IMBY.

9 hours ago, frostfern said:

The sky was nice today with a lot of billowing towers and occasional distant rumbles.  Outflow boundaries from small cells that popped up all around kept the temperature in the low 80s, but still barely enough rain to wet the ground IMBY.

Same exact thing here. even DTW got 0.37". I got 0.01".

16 hours ago, TimB84 said:

That’s quite interesting. None of those are particularly large airports, with the exception of MSP. As UHI effects go, I don’t know much about La Crosse or Duluth, but I know UW-Madison is basically downtown while the airport is way out on the east side, so it’s interesting that the airport would run so much warmer, especially being the small regional airport that it is. With that being said, it does appear that records at La Crosse airport date back to 1938, so I would say it’s valid to compare any data from then to now. But I’m wondering if it’s maybe more of a geographical thing than a UHI thing, at least in that case.

Honestly here's my opinion. Airports have way too much concrete. I mean, the asos are set up in grassy areas but still the areas as a whole have tons of concrete. DTW runs so much colder on the south side than the official temp it's a joke. And it's a generally rural area. But an airport is full of concrete. 

21 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Honestly here's my opinion. Airports have way too much concrete. I mean, the asos are set up in grassy areas but still the areas as a whole have tons of concrete. DTW runs so much colder on the south side than the official temp it's a joke. And it's a generally rural area. But an airport is full of concrete. 

I mean LSE airport looks like this: 

6AC341BA-5CEC-414A-BB09-9EDF719521A5.jpeg.d2a5dc6f0bfdf0534b007a46223a42e0.jpeg

Doesn’t exactly look like UHI hell to me.

3 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

Yeah, it's just plain old hell.

If I had the choice between dying and spending an eternity in hell or dying and spending an eternity in La Crosse, Wisconsin, it would be a toss up. (Kidding, at least a little)

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Should an airport have dirt runways? :lol:

I don't see much to stop ORD from heading to the mid 90s this weekend.  The airmass aloft gets a bit warmer and it's currently near 90 even with easterly flow coming from the lake.  ORD seems far enough inland to escape virtually all of the cooling effects.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I don't see much to stop ORD from heading to the mid 90s this weekend.  The airmass aloft gets a bit warmer and it's currently near 90 even with easterly flow coming from the lake.  ORD seems far enough inland to escape virtually all of the cooling effects.

pass

7 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

There is a bit of a valley on the south side of the airport, which is not representative of the area, much like there is one about a mile east of the airport.

• Like 1