Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

56 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

@Hoosier The discussion concerning UHI reminded me of a discussion a few days ago about LAF. You and Tim mentioned a long-time sensor issue, but it also could be UHI. Coincidentally, a forecaster at IND mentioned it in the early morning discussion today, calling it a "micro-climate."  

"HIGHS WILL ONCE AGAIN BE IN THE MID TO UPPER 80S, WITH ISOLATED LOCATIONS IN NORTH CENTRAL INDIANA EXCEEDING 90, MOST NAMELY LAFAYETTE WHERE A WARMER MICROCLIMATE HAS BEEN OBSERVED"

LAF has gotten ridiculous.  It has gone from seeming to run a bit warm at times to running (well) above surrounding areas to the north, south, east, west.  It hasn't been locally dry there either, so that doesn't explain it.  I totally think they would hit 100 on a day with widespread mid 90s in the rest of central Indiana.

I haven't been to LAF in years, so I'm not sure if there's been new construction by the airport or if the ASOS was moved or something.  I do kinda wish Tim and I were still living there as it would be fun to troll him over the warmth :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

The UHI at MSP is ridiculous. At first I thought it mostly occurred in the winter due to more lower albedo, less radiational cooling over snow cover, etc. But it’s just as bad in the summer.

St. Cloud, a bit north of MSP and much more rural, had a low of 70. 

It’s reasonable if UHI adds 2-3 degrees, but not 8. It’s a major problem that needs to be addressed by all of us, led by urban planners and engineers. 

Toronto is experiencing this as well. The overnight temperatures and overall UHI is really noticeable. The current government is on the path to suburbanize more of our green belt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenbelt_(Golden_Horseshoe) for anyone interested 

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

LAF has gotten ridiculous.  It has gone from seeming to run a bit warm at times to running (well) above surrounding areas to the north, south, east, west.  It hasn't been locally dry there either, so that doesn't explain it.  I totally think they would hit 100 on a day with widespread mid 90s in the rest of central Indiana.

I haven't been to LAF in years, so I'm not sure if there's been new construction by the airport or if the ASOS was moved or something.  I do kinda wish Tim and I were still living there as it would be fun to troll him over the warmth :lol:

I haven’t paid any attention to LAF in a long time. Is it really running that warm?

And trolling me...you always can use IKK to do that. Especially dewpoints  :maphot:

9 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

I haven’t paid any attention to LAF in a long time. Is it really running that warm?

And trolling me...you always can use IKK to do that. Especially dewpoints  :maphot:

Yes.  91 there now.  Look at surrounding areas.

in_sfc.gif.fcafa8a39906fb8ac70fb100b6cb5ef1.gif

My great big AC just a mile away keeps me cool. For now at least. Inland has been in the low 90's the last 2 days with temps 10-15 degrees cooler here by the Lake. With the Lake still pretty cold, just like the ocean sea breezes of the afternoon, we get that here too until the water warms up later in July. Then AC is needed off and on.

Records 6/4 & 6/5

Duluth 93 (90 1968); 94 (88 1925/1988)

I-Falls  98 (92 1988); 91 2nd to 94 1988

Brainerd 100 (89 1988); 96 (92 1952)

Hibbing 95 (88 1988); 94 (90 1988)

Ashland 93 (92 1968); 94 (93 1988)

Grand Forks 103 (96 1961); 99 (95 1988)

Fargo 102 (95 1959); 98 (95 1939)

Impressive stuff last couple days. More near record to record heat possible tomorrow as well. Staying above normal well into next week, so top 5 heat still possible.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I recall them hitting 108 in 1995.  Not sure about the surroundings there but maybe some kind of valley effects?

Yep, 7/13/95. Tied with 7/14/36 as the all time high at that station.

BTW in 5/31/34 it was 107. Early June heat up here got nothing on that one. :) 

That region has a topo of bluffs and valleys, so very possible.

I recall them hitting 108 in 1995.  Not sure about the surroundings there but maybe some kind of valley effects?

Was actually up there back in December.

They deal with effects from the valley, upslope and downslope. The airport sits at just about the lowest spot in the valley, with the highest bluffs just west. No doubt the reason hot days end up higher end around there.

9 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Thunderstorms are likely almost every single day next week. Have not seen a forecast like this in quite some time 

Sunday
A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 3pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 85. Light south wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday Night
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Monday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm after 9am. High near 82. South wind 6 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Monday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 9pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9pm and 3am, then a chance of showers after 3am. Low around 69. South wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tuesday
A chance of showers before 9am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9am and 3pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tuesday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 9pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Wednesday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 9pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9pm and 3am, then a chance of showers after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Thursday
A chance of showers before 9am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms between 9am and 3pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 84. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Thursday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Partly sunny, with a high near 85. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday Night
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Saturday
A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
:wub:

1 minute ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Thunderstorms are likely almost every single day next week. Have not seen a forecast like this in quite some time 

It looks like a Florida-type pattern, which is always full of localized 1"+ bullseyes and holes.  Will need at least three or four days in that kind of pattern to get a soaking rain everywhere.  Would much prefer an MCS that shares the wealth more, but that's really hard to come by this year.  Really tired of backdoor cold fronts and dry easterlies.  That crap is getting really old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frostfern said:

It looks like a Florida-type pattern, which is always full of localized 1"+ bullseyes and holes.  Will need at least three or four days in that kind of pattern to get a soaking rain everywhere.  Would much prefer an MCS that shares the wealth more, but that's really hard to come by this year.  Really tired of backdoor cold fronts and dry easterlies.  That crap is getting really old.

Localized flash flooding could become a problem in this pattern but we need the rain