Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We know it, but I think that the average person who's not from the northern Plains doesn't realize how hot it can get there.

No doubt.  Fargo has 100/101 in their point for tomorrow/Saturday.  Many people probably think it's an arctic wasteland after watching the movie Fargo lol.

10 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We know it, but I think that the average person who's not from the northern Plains doesn't realize how hot it can get there.

Still, we’re talking about temperatures in some parts of ND/northern MN reaching levels that rival all time June records (Grand Forks, ND having the best shot at setting such a record). And it’s not like it’s the end of June when you would expect these kinds of records to be set if they’re going to be set, it’s June 4th. Incredible.

• Like 1

It's early, but it doesn't look like an obvious case of clear skies everywhere for the morning eclipse on the 10th.  Probably going to be dealing with some clouds in some areas.  Seems like northern areas *could* have less clouds, but it's subject to change of course.  

If you're looking at 3 hr model increments, you want to look at 9z and 12z Thursday since the eclipse will fall between those times.

2 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

98 Bismarck.

Looks like they’re at 103 now, which is by far the earliest in the summer they’ve ever hit 103 (previous was 6/18).

International Falls is now at 96, which is their earliest 96 degree reading by a week (6/11).

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

Looks like they’re at 103 now, which is by far the earliest in the summer they’ve ever hit 103 (previous was 6/18).

International Falls is now at 96, which is their earliest 96 degree reading by a week (6/11).

Also, most of these sites in the north central US are absolutely obliterating daily records by 6-10 degrees. Records that in many cases were set in.......

42 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Also, most of these sites in the north central US are absolutely obliterating daily records by 6-10 degrees. Records that in many cases were set in.......

I looked at some drought index (KBDI) values for some stations, and they are as much as twice as high as they were in 1988. That's definitely allowing temps to rise a bit more. Impressive heat indeed. 1988 had lots of moments in the spotlight within the records around here. 

2 minutes ago, Brian D said:

I looked at some drought index (KBDI) values for some stations, and they are as much as twice as high as they were in 1988. That's definitely allowing temps to rise a bit more. Impressive heat indeed. 1988 had lots of moments in the spotlight within the records around here. 

The question is, does it translate to extreme heat in eastern portions of the region the way it did in 1988? I’m guessing the drought east of the Mississippi was much more severe in 1988 than it is now.