Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion

nwohweather

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Was this a still photo taken from a video? That's the only way I've ever been able to get the cloud to ground shots.

Yes it was. Also here is a ground shot of the wall cloud underneath the meso. It is easier to see here since it is not wide angle:

Meso1-web.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, watching the Weather Channel and there was a weather station run by the University of Georgia that was in the direct path of one of those Tornadoes that hit the other day. It recorded a gust of 129 mph. The station was damaged but the anemometer was still operating. They are waiting for the NWS to verify the gust before releasing it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fairly strongly worded disco for a d2 slight risk from SPC. Just depends on capping will allow development while instability is higher.

..NC/VA...
   Low 60s dewpoints will likely be in place across much of NC early
   Friday morning, with higher values near the coast. This moist air
   mass is forecast advect northward throughout the day amid the
   southerly low-level flow ahead of the approaching outflow, with the
   northern extent of this better moisture acting as an effective warm
   front. Isolated thunderstorm development along this warm front is
   possible, where wind profiles support supercells. Damaging wind
   gusts and a tornado or two are possible with these storms if
   updrafts can mature.

After this initial isolated threat, more widespread thunderstorm
   development is possible as the outflow moves into the region amid
   mid 60s dewpoints and moderate buoyancy. Damaging wind gusts within
   any more organized bowing segments are the primary severe risk.

3 hours ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

South Boston, VA from 12z NAM

5E689C70-5D22-40F6-AD06-E077ACD4CC9E.jpeg

Enhanced outlook for the tornado (10%) and wind (30%) for parts of Virginia and North Carolina. The tornado 10% area includes areas near Richmond into northern North Carolina. The wind outlook is a larger 30%.

tO7Chgd.png

Concerning cloud cover, that’s not entirely true. Some of our biggest days (8/6/93 and 2/24/16) featured cloud cover extensively across the region during early half of the day. Regardless, this threat is driven by a warm front lifting to I64, surface low in OH, and a secondary surface low trying to develop back in western NC. Classic, textbook setup that has produced some of the regions biggest days for severe weather. Though I will say some soundings suggest zero capping inversion which could be a limiting factor as that would suggest a mixed/messy convective mode.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

40 minutes ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Concerning cloud cover, that’s not entirely true. Some of our biggest days (8/6/93 and 2/24/16) featured cloud cover extensively across the region during early half of the day. Regardless, this threat is driven by a warm front lifting to I64, surface low in OH, and a secondary surface low trying to develop back in western NC. Classic, textbook setup that has produced some of the regions biggest days for severe weather. Though I will say some soundings suggest zero capping inversion which could be a limiting factor as that would suggest a mixed/messy convective mode.

You see the wedge eroding on visible. Pretty neat with mid level clouds moving west to east and low level clouds/fog moving south to north

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

possible hail up to 1" west of Raleigh NC right now. (0.75" reported) I wouldn't be surprised to see a tornado warning west of Raleigh or perhaps east, near Williamston or Greenville NC, given the overall scenario with higher parameters in the area.

• jburns unpinned this topic