Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
General Severe Weather Discussion

nwohweather

8 minutes ago, jburns said:

Don’t give them ideas.  They will come up with something like this.

Marginally Severe

Slightly Severe

Enhanced Severe

Moderately Severe

Real Severe

High Severe

Even Higher Severe

Almost Severest

Severest

Extreme Severest

Even Severester

Off the Charts Severester

Haha A+ for effort. Maybe it's a bit Midwest of me here, but growing up in Ohio we regularly saw severe storms. But a derecho was always a whole different ball game and think they need something to differentiate between your usual severe storm, and the ones where you legit need get in a building. I'll say this, 65 mph is pretty wild stuff but anyone who's seen 90+ can attest that is a hell of an experience.

5 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Haha A+ for effort. Maybe it's a bit Midwest of me here, but growing up in Ohio we regularly saw severe storms. But a derecho was always a whole different ball game and think they need something to differentiate between your usual severe storm, and the ones where you legit need get in a building. I'll say this, 65 mph is pretty wild stuff but anyone who's seen 90+ can attest that is a hell of an experience.

I agree. Been there and done that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Surprised no one is talking about the tornado outbreak going on. Multiple confirmed tornadoes including two PDS warnings, one of which is ongoing west of Columbia 

GSP def has been busy today with the tornado warnings. Its crazy how many in the mtns. From Banner Elk southward. Pretty impressive while I enjoy my .03" lol

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Surprised no one is talking about the tornado outbreak going on. Multiple confirmed tornadoes including two PDS warnings, one of which is ongoing west of Columbia 

I've been too busy figuring out if I need to leave  :lol:   The tornado in Mauldin was a couple of miles away and the one in Fountain Inn was less than 1/4 mile from me. Fun times  :P  

1 hour ago, buckeyefan1 said:

I've been too busy figuring out if I need to leave  :lol:   The tornado in Mauldin was a couple of miles away and the one in Fountain Inn was less than 1/4 mile from me. Fun times  :P  

In case one gets you make sure you remember all you have to do is click your heels together three times and say, “there’s no place like AmWx”.  You’ll be back home in a jiffy.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday was the first borderline severe storm conditions I’ve witnessed imby in at least a year. We weren’t even under a warning but on radar a cell seemed to pop up over my house as part of the line and intensified with a lot of lightning. Probably resulted in localized severe conditions. Lots of leaves, branches down around my neighborhood this morning and part of it lost electricity last night for a few hours. Also some incredibly close lightning strikes. I’m sure I saw some gusts over 40 and there likely were some higher ones around given some of the tree and branch damage on the eastern part of my neighborhood to millbrook rd. Anyways, it was a great storm for the weather geeks in my area and best storm of the year for sure

• 2 weeks later...

12Z Monday GFS and NAM guidance for Thursday 11/11 hint at a lifting boundary in South Georgia. Looks south of Atlanta so I have to post here vs my home Tennessee Valley subforum region.

Juuust enough CAPE (all that's needed in the South) accompanies adequate speed and directional shear. LLJ mainly well north is the limiting factor. However any mesoscale wave could keep it going in Georgia. 

ECMWF has not started, but its overnight runs support the scenario. If the LLJ hangs in, South Georgia could have strong to severe thunderstorms on Thursday.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, jpbart said:

Schools around Columbia are doing a two hour delay to due possible severe weather and high winds.  Is this the new snow day for schools?  I am not complaining though, just never saw this before.

Welcome to the south where kids get delays/early release for severe weather more often than snow or ice  :lol:   Yes. It's normal ;) 

Might be a little bit of an event over in MS/AL today…

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
   Tornado Watch Number 14
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1045 AM CST Sun Jan 9 2022

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of 
     Southwest Alabama
     Southeast Mississippi

* Effective this Sunday morning and evening from 1045 AM until
     600 PM CST.

* Primary threats include...
     A few tornadoes likely with a couple intense tornadoes possible