• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2021 Drought Thread

Geoboy645

Year-to-date, 2021 has taken over as the 2nd driest on record for Chicago.

Lowest precip totals from 1/1 through 6/8:

1934:  4.64"

2021:  6.96"

1989:  7.38"

1992:  7.56"

1928:  8.08"

1968:  8.09"

1895:  8.13"

1994:  8.21"

1988:  8.59"

1925:  8.68"

Year-to-date, ORD is just under 45% of average precip (deficits are actually worse just north of there).  It is impressive to have that kind of percentage of average precip over a time span of 5+ months.  Much easier to pull off if it's just a couple months.

Obviously a lot of this dry stretch has occurred in cooler months of the year, which has mitigated the overall impacts so far.  But we are in June now and this could really become a bigger problem if it keeps up.  There's a cooldown lurking in the extended, but it's still a June sun angle and summer evaporation rates are much greater than other times of year.

33 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This time last year the COVID thread dominated the sub, this year it appears the drought thread will dominate lol.  Next year it will probably be a UFO thread.

I'm banking on 45 straight days of severe weather from May 15-June 30.   That would make up for this year

• Haha 2

Starting to see some brown grass in sun exposed areas.  Pretty minor overall at this point though I imagine it may be more noticeable up in the city/north where the deficits are larger.
Anything mowed outside of shaded/irrigated areas is pretty well browned out at this point. Looks like an August dry spell at minimum.

Corn and beans are pitiful - furling up and looking thin. The fields are still green overall but not a deep green and instead starting to get a bit of a yellowish tint.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Starting to see some brown grass in sun exposed areas.  Pretty minor overall at this point though I imagine it may be more noticeable up in the city/north where the deficits are larger.

Completely browned out up here. I mowed the other days and needed a respirator between the dust and the cottonwood seeds 

4 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Starting to notice patches of grass turning brown here, as well. We got about a month this spring where everything was nice and green. :axe:

Surprise surprise, your 8/21/18 redux has disappeared from the GFS.

• Haha 1

I have had a traditional standard rain gauge since 2000. I have recorded precip religiously, and of course the old fashioned gauge avoids any errors like with asos in snow and whatnot. 

This is the driest start to the year I have recorded yet.

Jan- 1.10" (6.0" snow)

Feb- 1.59" (22.7" snow)

Mar- 2.08" (T snow)

Apr- 2.18" (4.5" snow)

May- 1.85"

Jun- 0.77" thru 6/10

24 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

naso sure about that.

got a hunch we’re gonna flip before long.

Flip to what?  Raining more than it has in the past 2 weeks?  I can buy that.  Getting consistently wetter than average weather to erase/nearly erase the deficits?  I don't see that anytime soon.

• Like 1