Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter 2021

George BM

Chase Report—5/14/21

Even before heading to the Midwest, it looked like Friday had a pattern that would produce, with the greatest (but still modest) level of instability, moisture, and lift mechanism via a shortwave diving through the region. The SPC issued a slight risk with hatched wind & hail probabilities and my target location was Burlington, CO.

It was another great call as by later in the afternoon our first supercell began to develop. I approached from the east near Seibert, CO. Unlike yesterday, this one had a more classic lower precipitation presentation and had multiple wall clouds on it. 

j9pLUt3.jpg

rjmV3GV.jpg

oGqkh2f.jpg

This area had a manageable road network and I was able to stay on it as it traveled S-SSE.

The last attempt for the supercell to form a tornado was its best, with a horseshoe forming before a gradual collapse of the storm.

bxNIWZo.jpg

jPw07oE.jpg

Once the storm collapsed I headed back east into Kansas, where the best instability was. Boy did that pay off handsomely. There were three other supercells that blossomed in my path. Two were fairly transient in producing wall clouds and I was perfectly positioned at the edge of each hook echo. 

RcArAi8.jpg

dz0VOfp.jpg

YqZzBT4.jpg

Then we had the big dog. I missed the worst of it to the south but the final supercell near WaKeeney, CO was big time with a hail core and excellent rotation per radar. It was getting dark but the radar and ground truth even away from the worst of the storm was big time. There was accumulated hail on the highway where the worst of the hail core passed.

That one produced prolific lightning for a long time. 

There’s still a ton of other images to process but overall I made the very best of a bad severe wx pattern. No tornadoes, but a lot of great storms and each chase day had something. My forecasting of target locations was average on Tuesday in Texas but excellent on Thursday and Friday in Kansas and Colorado. God willing, I’ll be back out on the Plains next season. Heading back home today and soon I’ll be preparing for my real chase season…

5T9KGic.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Oshie is a game time decision per Laviolette. 

Was practicing on the #1 power play unit this morning so hopefully it's a sign that he will be in tonight. 

Everyone else is good to go except for the 2 Russians that apparently can't follow the rules. 

28 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was at 8-9 different places between PA and MD today and almost everyone was masked.  Only Habitat in Chambersburg, PA was letting people follow CDC. 

We aren't requiring shoppers to mask up. It's their choice. 

I'm sure as the days and weeks pass on there will be less and less masks being worn in the store. 

Store Associates in the store will be wearing masks for a while.

15 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

We aren't requiring shoppers to mask up. It's their choice. 

I'm sure as the days and weeks pass on there will be less and less masks being worn in the store. 

Store Associates in the store will be wearing masks for a while.

Agree it will loosen up some at larger stores as the weeks go by.  Think a lot of smaller places stay mask required.

9 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was at 8-9 different places between PA and MD today and almost everyone was masked.  Only Habitat in Chambersburg, PA was letting people follow CDC. 

I can tell you 100% for sure that in Howard County it is the shoppers self regulating and not the shops.. yesterday I went to all of the following without a mask on:

• Columbia Mall
  • Barnes and Noble
  • Ellicott City Walmart

At each location I made a point of it to go somewhere where I had to interact with staff members/ security.  At every place I was the ONLY person without a mask on and not once was I asked to put the mask on.  

I had two close calls, which proves that the staff members have been reluctantly informed that they are not allowed to impose their own rules outside of the CDC policy - 

1. some teenage kid who was "standing guard" at a store in the mall, told me.. "I can't tell you to put your mask on, but.. but.. well that's all I have to say"
  2. the first women to check me out of Barnes and Noble shook her head, sighed in discuss and grabbed her manager keys and walked away and someone else had to check me out.  

So this is actually really awesome news.  If the "choose civility" howard county MD people can't make you where masks.. it is just a matter of time before people start catching on, start going places without their masks on and this awful nightmare will be over. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, jonjon said:

I'm all for people's freedom of choice.  I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the approach of some that the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk of covid, along with the benefits to the entire world of getting as many people vaccinated as possible.  I'm hoping that time and the approval of the vaccines for non-emergency use will sway a good number of those who fall on that side.

The daily cases were already in a very sharp decline in January way before vaccine-based immunity took hold.  This indicates that the severe wave we saw in November and December played a significant role in creating natural immunity.  It would have been nice to have the vaccine before that.. but even with the unprecedented financial backing and regulatory support of the previous administration and the failed "hide until the vaccine" policy.. we were not able to overcome the natural immune process. 

It really makes you wonder, with how this virus disproportionally  effects the older and at risk population, if states like Florida, that went the "focused protection" route had it right all along.  

The crazy thing is is that there were people at the top of the infectious disease game from Universities like Oxford and Stanford that were screaming this from the beginning and no one wanted to listen.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, blueberryfaygo said:

I can tell you 100% for sure that in Howard County it is the shoppers self regulating and not the shops.. yesterday I went to all of the following without a mask on:

• Columbia Mall
  • Barnes and Noble
  • Ellicott City Walmart

At each location I made a point of it to go somewhere where I had to interact with staff members/ security.  At every place I was the ONLY person without a mask on and not once was I asked to put the mask on.  

I had two close calls, which proves that the staff members have been reluctantly informed that they are not allowed to impose their own rules outside of the CDC policy - 

1. some teenage kid who was "standing guard" at a store in the mall, told me.. "I can't tell you to put your mask on, but.. but.. well that's all I have to say"
  2. the first women to check me out of Barnes and Noble shook her head, sighed in discuss and grabbed her manager keys and walked away and someone else had to check me out.  

So this is actually really awesome news.  If the "choose civility" howard county MD people can't make you where masks.. it is just a matter of time before people start catching on, start going places without their masks on and this awful nightmare will be over. 

You must have alot of free time on your hands.

:lol: :weenie:

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

You must have alot of free time on your hands.

:lol: :weenie:

Well it WAS a saturday and I had a legit business at each of these places.  But I also really wanted to test the water.  I had my mask in my pocket and was ready to put it on as soon as someone asked.. 

I do that because of Social Media and cell phone cameras.  Otherwise.. I would only put a mask on if threatened with arrest.

• Like 1

• Columbia Mall
  • Barnes and Noble
  • Ellicott City Walmart

Two of the stores I went in MD, Martins (Giant) and Petsmart in Hagerstown, they were not allowing people in without a mask.  I am sure once in you could probably get away without one. 

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

It two of the stores I went in MD, Martins (Giant) and Petsmart in Hagerstown, they were not allowing people in without a mask.  I am sure once in you could probably get away without one. 

jeez Hagerstown.. I would have thought that they would have went maskless up there already.  Every store that I went to still had there signs up.. but the signs dont actually mean anything.. the point is that there are no longer public health orders in MD to enforce the mask stuff...

So even if a store wants you to wear yours.. there is very little they can do to compel you to wear one.  They can really only ask you to leave.  

Anyways.... I am healthy adult and so is my wife and kids.  What that means is that I have a greater risk of dying from something else than Corona Virus and it really doesnt pose a real risk to me.  Therefore I have always thought that the most responsible thing that I can do in this situation is go out and try and get a mild case of COVID while at the same time completely avoid my parents as they had a much higher risk 

Thats even more important for the kids.. closing the schools was probably the biggest mistake that they made from the very beginning.. 

Closing the schools, but keeping the Walmart open, basically made it so that the there was a higher percent of severe covid cases in the elderly and at risk population vs the healthy population.  Gradually the virus spread with very little natural defense.. causing many of hundreds of thousands of premature deaths of elderly population in the country.  

I really think that we are going to see a correction in the mortality rate because of this over the next couple of years..

dry tinder

• Like 1

• Columbia Mall
  • Barnes and Noble
  • Ellicott City Walmart

Sounds like you ran the Karen gauntlet and survived, so that is good news. Any word from Montgomery County? I assume they locked down even tighter in response to Hogan’s announcement. 

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Sounds like you ran the Karen gauntlet and survived, so that is good news. Any word from Montgomery County? I assume they locked down even tighter in response to Hogan’s announcement. 

The word "Karen" is racist.  Imagine if it was Keisha and referred to bitchy black women.  Anyways.. yeah.. I had some Karen close calls.. I will test out up the Safeway in Olney today and report back.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic