Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter 2021

George BM

4 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Well, there it (likely) is. That step would essentially mark the end of this, IMO. Kinda crazy.

The removing of mask mandates will still fall to Governors to decide. Then trickle down to counties themselves. 

Then you factor in businesses still wanting customers to wear them too. Its definitely not an all or nothing thing just because CDC makes their recommendations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Does that mean I can go almost ANYWHERE without a Mask? (I'm in Oklahoma) (Also 100% Vaccinated with Pfizer)

you should ask someone who lives in OK. None of us here know what guidelines are for your state. 

The removing of mask mandates will still fall to Governors to decide. Then trickle down to counties themselves. 
Then you factor in businesses still wanting customers to wear them too. Its definitely not an all or nothing thing just because CDC makes their recommendations. 

That is true, I imagine most states hustle to adopt it, though. CDC has also been strict so I was somewhat surprised to see it.

Just now, mappy said:

you should ask someone who lives in OK. None of us here know what guidelines are for your state. 

The guidelines are from the Counties, the governor has decided since the beginning of this to let the counties do their own thing . . . Since Western Oklahoma is very rural & Eastern Oklahoma is heavily forested . . . 

Shawnee & OKC has recently nixed or expired the mask mandates . . .

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

Not just Governors, the Counties in Oklahoma are deciding on this, Shawnee has nixed the Mask Mandate . . . 

5 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That is true, I imagine most states hustle to adopt it, though. CDC has also been strict so I was somewhat surprised to see it.

I am sure they will. But regardless of what the CDC recommends, we are to follow what our Governors and Counties recommend first and for most. 

3 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Not just Governors, the Counties in Oklahoma are deciding on this, Shawnee has nixed the Mask Mandate . . . 

Okay. Again, this is the mid-atlantic where we discuss MD/VA/DC/WVA stuff. OK guidelines, etc. won't be discussed here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

I'm as excited as anyone to see restrictions lifted, but I'm preparing for those restrictions to be put back in place at some point. I don't want to be a deb, but I just can't see the mask and social distance mandates being lifted and there not being a corresponding rise in cases that will be alarming enough to result in state and/or local action.

Being in a state that had a statewide mask mandate for many months and then ended it 5 weeks ago, I feel like I can chime in on this.

Once the statewide mask mandate ended, many stores/businesses around here maintained a mask policy.  There has been tremendous compliance.  In places that have a mask policy, I have only seen 1 adult not wearing a mask in all of these weeks.  Even in the few places I have been in that don't have a mask policy, most people were wearing one.  

This was encouraging to see because I did not know what to expect when our statewide mask mandate ended.  Wasn't sure if I was going to suddenly see tons of maskless people indoors.  I was even more nervous about how it was going to play out since our cases/hospitalizations were starting to rise right before the statewide mask mandate expired.

It may not go the same way where you are, but don't be surprised to still see a lot of masks even after they are no longer required.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Being in a state that had a statewide mask mandate for many months and then ended it 5 weeks ago, I feel like I can chime in on this.

Once the statewide mask mandate ended, many stores/businesses around here maintained a mask policy.  There has been tremendous compliance.  In places that have a mask policy, I have only seen 1 adult not wearing a mask in all of these weeks.  Even in the few places I have been in that don't have a mask policy, most people were wearing one.  

This was encouraging to see because I did not know what to expect when our statewide mask mandate ended.  Wasn't sure if I was going to suddenly see tons of maskless people indoors.  I was even more nervous about how it was going to play out since our cases/hospitalizations were starting to rise right before the statewide mask mandate expired.

It may not go the same way where you are, but don't be surprised to still see a lot of masks even after they are no longer required.

5 weeks ago would definitely have been too early to go maskless indoors imo.

I feel like we are rapidly approaching my personal line for when I feel like taking off the masks is finally warranted.  When everyone who wants to be vaccinated is, and the local community rate of infection is low (which I guess is a bit subjective) then what else would we be waiting for?

13 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I feel like we are rapidly approaching my personal line for when I feel like taking off the masks is finally warranted.  When everyone who wants to be vaccinated is, and the local community rate of infection is low (which I guess is a bit subjective) then what else would we be waiting for?

That's kinda been my feeling as well... don't drop mask requirements until everyone (or at least everyone besides the youngest children) has had an opportunity to get a vaccine.

What I said in my other post is just my experience in my corner of my state.  I have heard from others in my state that the amount of masking doesn't seem to be quite as good.  We are still running slightly over 5% positivity rate in Indiana and the case/hospitalization numbers have been stubborn.  It's fair to wonder if things would've been lower had the statewide mask mandate remained in place.

15 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I cant speak for WV and what they are doing in terms of mandates and such, but this is exactly what Hogan is going for with his 70% goal for vaccines before lifting the mask mandate. Its understood that there will always be some who do not want it (and that's their right) but you have to end it eventually, when metrics say it is safe to do so. 

CDC saying no more masks indoors for those vaccinated will be a huge push for governors to start lifting mandates. 

My daughter got shot 1 today. Lots of good things happening. I hope everyone eligible gets a vaccine if they haven’t already. It’s clearly having a great impact on case rates. My gym membership resumes next Monday. I don’t expect them to lift their mandate quite yet, but maybe soon? I wasn’t looking forward to indoor cardio with a mask.

• Like 2

Business will drop the mask requirement and simply have signage saying you can wear one if you want.  Maybe doctors offices will still ask for them to be worn because it just helps cut down on cold transmission and other germs.

1 minute ago, wxtrix said:

the WV governor said if 65% of the eligible population gets vaccinated by June 20, he'll lift the mask mandate then.

our rate of vaccination is abysmal and we won't get there by then, but he'll lift it anyway.

Thanks. At least its a goal? Even if he doesn't abide by it... 

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Business will drop the mask requirement and simply have signage saying you can wear one if you want.  Maybe doctors offices will still ask for them to be worn because it just helps cut down on cold transmission and other germs.

CDC is still recommending masks be worn in hospital settings, nursing homes, public transportation, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, mappy said:

CDC is still recommending masks be worn in hospital settings, nursing homes, public transportation, etc. 

gotcha.  Makes sense.  We drastically cut down on cold and other illnesses from mask usage so there is benefit to having them on in medical settings.

• Like 1

I do hope it becomes more customary for people to wear a mask if they’re feeling sick. And if you’re feverish or hacking up a lung, GTFO of the office. Nobody wants that shit. I’ve immensely enjoyed not being sick in 14 months.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I do hope it becomes more customary for people to wear a mask if they’re feeling sick. And if you’re feverish or hacking up a lung, GTFO of the office. Nobody wants that shit. I’ve immensely enjoyed not being sick in 14 months.

I'm definitely all for this. Typically I get some kind of cold in a year, but this past 15 months, it's been absent. I did get food poisoning at one point end of last year, but that's a whole different can of worms. I like the restaurants taking extra precautions with cleaning (Which should've been done before a pandemic, but I digress). We are heading in a good direction, but absolutely need to restrict travel to and from hot spots internationally to keep it that way. Once those are under control, the pandemic globally will be over. In the US, I see it coming to an end in our part of the world within the next 2-4 months, barring some unforeseen spike. 

2 minutes ago, Iceresistance said:

Heavily forested except in some areas, just like whats in Dixie Alley!

Many Oklahoma chasers call it the 'Jungle' for good reason . . . 

Easily one of the worst places in the plains to chase. I drove through there before and you saw nothing but trees. A death trap for severe chasing

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic