• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Official, Unofficially Licensed Winter 20/21 Wrap-Up Thread

Cold Miser

On the eve of Wiz's favorite time of the year, it's time to wrap up the winter season.  I like to wait until at least April is done. Sure, there will be those up north who get some May flower Maulers, but they can chime in when it's completely over for them.

The grades (all items are equally weighted)

Overall Seasonal Snowfall: C+
Just Under average snow fell. Meh.

Snow vs. Rain: B
With the exception of the always predictable, never compromise-able  Grinch storm period,  thankfully there wasn't a parade of massive rain storms. 

Staying power/ (number of days) of the pack: C+
Late January through early March saw a true, definitive pack period.

Local winter enjoyment: B-
February allowed for some good ole' fashioned snow hikes, snow shoeing and ice walking fun.  

Temperature: B-

Snow Storms/ events (quality/ quantity): B-
Multiple double digit events, helped fuel a few smile on the misers face.  A late season few inches in April, as well as another dusting a week later, combined with an early season start with the Halloween weekend storm made the season feel long.

Overall Grade: B-/C+

So much potential for a great winter, but also so much potential for a total dud.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

A+ for me. Very excited about next winter given that this one was technically below average in most respects. 

I hope you snow at least one more time . Gfs was so close to a burial . April is a solid  snow month for Elevated NNE and first 10 days of May can get it done up there at elevation as well 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I hope you snow at least one more time . Gfs was so close to a burial . April is a solid  snow month for Elevated NNE and first 10 days of May can get it done up there at elevation as well 

Where were these huge wrapped-up coastals all winter?

I would have recorded 250" if they had hit in February and March when it was 15 degrees outside.

• Haha 1

Classic nor'easters have been scarce past few years. Another sub-par winter here...43 inches on the season. I have doubts about the May bomb on the GFS but would be a fitting start to warm season...we'll end up locking this in for the entire summer:

• Like 1

this one is easy. Solid F. in summary, if it wasn’t for 20+” in mid-december, this would be a full on rat. Even though snowfall was close to average, it sucked. The Grinch storm literally ruined winter. Retention sucked, month to month snowfall sucked. It sucked, no nice way of putting it. Practically skunked in January, and in the heart of the winter, I got like 8” (between the mid-december storm and Feb 1). Look at these monthly totals:

-October 2”

-November 0”

-December 31” (23” in the one storm, gone via el-Grincho)

-January 6”

-February 23”

-March 0”

-April 0”

I think we all know what killed this winter (see bolded above)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also a solid F here. 
Temp was AN for every month Nov-April, a first in my 23 years here.  One of the few winters that failed to get down to -20.  12/25 was the greatest positive departure for any date, also had December's biggest one-day rain, obliterating the modest pack.  Several total-boredom stretches - AN temps with no interesting wx of any kind.
Snowfall of 52.5" was 3 feet BN and with 05-06 (52.8") and 15-16 (48.2") is in another universe compared to the other 20 winters.  Next lowest snowfall was 64.0" in 09-10.  After the 9.5" on Feb 2 there were no events greater than 3" despite what seemed to be 2-3 decent chances per week the rest of the month.  March totaled a miniscule 0.1".  It was the lowest March snowfall in 75 years at the Farmington co-op.  

137.8" season total, grade: C.

It wasn't a terrible winter, but it wasn't good either.

Highlights: A nice mid-December storm even though the jackpot as about 30-40 miles north of here, elevation storm in mid-January followed by a week of upslope snow showers, a month straight of subfreezing temperatures (1/16 to 2/16), and a decent wind driven snowstorm in early February. Max snow depth of 32" in late February. No torch rainy cutters after the Christmas one.

Problems: Christmas cutter, boring early January, and a snowless March and early April. No blockbuster/historic storms here either.

13 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

137.8" season total, grade: C.

It wasn't a terrible winter, but it wasn't good either.

Highlights: A nice mid-December storm even though the jackpot as about 30-40 miles north of here, elevation storm in mid-January followed by a week of upslope snow showers, a month straight of subfreezing temperatures (1/16 to 2/16), and a decent wind driven snowstorm in early February. Max snow depth of 32" in late February. No torch rainy cutters after the Christmas one.

Problems: Christmas cutter, boring early January, and a snowless March and early April. No blockbuster/historic storms here either.

What would it take to get an A???? lol

For my area (North Central Mass) - 1000' asl

Overall Seasonal Snowfall: B
82.25"   A foot or so above normal.  Can't complain about the number.  Just how we got it. To lose Jan and March sucked

Snow vs. Rain:  A-
Same as Garth..  It rained very little except on Dec 25. 

Staying power/ (number of days) of the pack: B
Wiped out at Christmas, then a lack of snow until late Jan.  But decent after that.

Local winter enjoyment: B+
Skiing was good but not great.  Lack of snow in Jan and March limited some of the activites I wanted to do

Temperature:   D 

Two years in a row of temps that almost never dipped below zero.  Lame... overall above normal temps... I guess it was good for my heating bill

Snow Storms/ events (quality/ quantity): B
A good October event that didn't ruin my snowfall! lol    A couple of good events including a large December one and a big one in Feb.  April was good as well with an 8.5" event

Overall Grade: B

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

What would it take to get an A???? lol

At 2,230' in the southern Greens, it probably starts with a crooked number.  He should have snow comparable to J.Spin in NVT (150" avg last 10 years) and Alex in Coos County (170" in his 4 years on the snow table.)  A season with <90% of average does well to earn a C.

Far as my irrelevant perspective goes ...

this is the fourth winter in a row, where the pith of winter was damped by velocity surplus and not allowed to do much other than watch raging balanced geostrophic wind speeds rip and shear and suppress ( not the same as a 'suppressed flow' in this context) development. 

There were perhaps exceptions to that general theme ... but speaking in the context of by and large -

When the flow relaxed at either ends ?  we got amplitude and Oct - early Dec events ...as well as unwanted cold spring ones - relative to personal preference ... I mean I realize there are those that think its reasonable to snow in April but that's your problem LOL.

No but the seasonal lag is memoed in environmental science et al at this point,  and is <_< to those with objective observation not filtering reality through a want for snow and winter lens ... is real.  

Any next year's seasonal outlook had better be heavily referencing, if not factoring, this obviously GW/ CC - attributable aspect or nothing in said outlook is worth used toilet paper.