Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2021

bluewave

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

these little droughts always have a deluge lurking around the corner...I expect the mini drought will be washed away soon...

It’s too difficult to sustain dry conditions for an extended period in our new wetter climate. We just got upgraded to D0 dry conditions yesterday. So it didn’t take long for the heavy rains to come after that update. Hard to believe the last time NYC had water restrictions was back in 2001-2002. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

these little droughts always have a deluge lurking around the corner...I expect the mini drought will be washed away soon...

You can count on it, at least during the last 15 years for sure.

• Like 1

The last hour or so before louds arrive and linger the next 60 hours with rain and NE / ENE winds on what should be the coolest Memorial Day weekend. 65 degrees now and should be the warmest readings  till Sunday. 

This is a speed bump in the overall warmth we started in Mid May as guidance continues to show ridging to build along the east coast / Bermuda High type weather.  Humid warm and chance or some heat on occasoin Jun 2 - Jun 6.  Beyond that perhaps brief cooldown before heights rise again.  

More models are bumping up the Part 2 amplifying trough/tropical feed on Sun which is what can really pump the rain totals sky high through training and the moist tropical connection. Tonight's overrunning Part 1 looks like a widespread 1-2". As usual the overrunning is pushing north at the last minute to where northern parts of forum and SNE get the heaviest rain from that part. Whether we really get to 4-6" depends on where and how strong Part 2 gets. 

19 hours ago, uncle W said:

late may 1961 and 1967 had a day with highs in the mid 40's with rain...LGA recorded ice pellets on 5/27/61...thats hard to believe...

I believe that was hail. There's a few of those in the climate record in late May.  Last yr when we had a trace snow on May 9th, tying latest ever in the Park, some media outlets mistakenly reported a trace of snow previously happening in late May, which they ended up having to correct soon after. NWS need to fix that. Looking at the high/lows on some of those days its clear it was hail from t-storm.

18 hours ago, bluewave said:

Wind direction is everything in the NY Bight. This is especially true when our biggest airports are right on the water. The 22nd was an extremely dry offshore flow heat event. So both EWR and JFK were located in the warmest zones. Also notice how the NW flow off the East River kept LGA cooler than both the Astoria and Corona new micronet stations. The ASOS at LGA is in the extreme NW corner of the airport near the water. The JFK ASOS is located in a marshy area in the eastern edge of the airport. Not far from North Woodmere in the five towns section of Long Island. Since the sea breeze was so strong yesterday east of NYC, EWR and the new fresh kills station were the warmest in the region. All the Newark Bay Breeze days last few summers allowed LGA to beat EWR on numerous occasions. 

5-26 maximum temperatures 

EWR…..94

Fresh Kills….92

Astoria……….87

Corona………86

LGA….86

Brownsville…..81

South Ozone Park…79

JFK…75

5-22

EWR…..96

JFK…….94

Brownsville….94

South Ozone Park….93

Corona……..92

Astoria……..91

Fresh Kills….91

LGA…..88

Thanks, I forgot there was a micronet network in addition to the mesonet network. There is even more it seems, maybe for internal use only, because over the last couple yrs I've seen these little mini weather stations popping up all over, mainly on utility poles. I've seen Con Ed trucks putting up radiation shields etc, I was wondering what is going on. Professional climate stations are great, but it's also interesting to see actual conditions you experience in the middle of the street, and little micro climates as well.

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Terrible. 

Mon might be okay-rain pivots out on Sunday night but still looks mostly cloudy and temps maybe reaching the low 60s. Between the rain tonight and Sunday, Sat looks dreary, raw with showers in between the main shows. I remember lousy Memorial Day weekends but not this nasty. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Mon might be okay-rain pivots out on Sunday night but still looks mostly cloudy and temps maybe reaching the low 60s. Between the rain tonight and Sunday, Sat looks dreary, raw with showers in between the main shows. I remember lousy Memorial Day weekends but not this nasty. 

I'd also think the Sunday piece could end up further east/west and possibly sparing some of us-those tropical feed setups are notoriously fickle

The all time record low maxes should get smashed easily tomorrow at EWR LGA and JFK of 60 58 and 57.  I'm not so sure about the 51 in NYC.  I think tomorrow has to be watched for a sneaky period where ceilings could rise to 2000-3000ft between rain and we might warm up more than expected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

I'd also think the Sunday piece could end up further east/west and possibly sparing some of us-those tropical feed setups are notoriously fickle

Euro got wetter too, has a nice 4"+ chunk over N NJ and 3"+ everywhere else. UKMET has 6"+ over E LI. This Part 2 is getting bigger on each model run. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dWave said:

I believe that was hail. There's a few of those in the climate record in late May.  Last yr when we had a trace snow on May 9th, tying latest ever in the Park, some media outlets mistakenly reported a trace of snow previously happening in late May, which they ended up having to correct soon after. NWS need to fix that. Looking at the high/lows on some of those days its clear it was hail from t-storm.

no t storms recorded that day...temps were in the low 40's...

IPS-1F6953AE-6D0E-4F2A-9101-835F2E05CDB6.pdf (noaa.gov)

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Euro got wetter too, has a nice 4"+ chunk over N NJ and 3"+ everywhere else. UKMET has 6"+ over E LI. This Part 2 is getting bigger on each model run. 

The big change on the Euro is it lingers the rain well into monday too. The previous Euro run cleared it out for monday, and most other models clear it out for monday. Hopefully this 12z Euro run isn't a sign that monday will be bad too.

16 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

The big change on the Euro is it lingers the rain well into monday too. The previous Euro run cleared it out for monday, and most other models clear it out for monday. Hopefully this 12z Euro run isn't a sign that monday will be bad too.

Models have been trending slower past 24hrs. Monday should still be the best day but we could be stuck in the 60s with more clouds rather than 70s and sunny. 

53 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Incredible if it verifies...these mini flash droughts always seem to end with a bang.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Oh their here on the S shore

I hate to say it but I gave in and have the mosquito guys come and spray every couple weeks. It’s the only thing that works. I tried growing lemon grass, I tired using one of those propane powered traps. None of it worked. It got so bad I would get 3-4 bites just walking the garbage to the curb. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

I hate to say it but I gave in and have the mosquito guys come and spray every couple weeks. It’s the only thing that works. I tried growing lemon grass, I tired using one of those propane powered traps. None of it worked. It got so bad I would get 3-4 bites just walking the garbage to the curb. 

Yup. I don't remember it being as bad growing up. 

11 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

DEET?

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

i go birding in wet areas and get tons of bites. they itch for a little while and then i don't notice them anymore

• Weenie 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic