Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

Just now, dendrite said:

CON record is 45° in 1917. It’s already 44° so that’s probably safe. There’s nothing colder than 49° after this date in the season so that was a good one.

Definite latitude gradient on that 1917 date given ORH was 51. Prob struggled to hit 40F that day in the 1500-2000’ elevations west of CON. 

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

40.8f. freezing in the house

Fire in the stove feels good this morning.  Hope the forecast for tomorrow night works out, as this first system is cool, cloudy and dry here.

If we get the rain tomorrow into Monday, it will be the 3rd time in a year that a record dry month was avoided at the very end.  June's driest is 1.22" in 2004 and we'd had 0.69" thru the 28th before getting 3.50" on 29-30.  September had 0.15" thru the 29th (driest for any month here is 0.31" in April 1999) then had 1.14" on the 30th.  This month is at 0.77" and the direst May was 1.15" three years ago.  Hope we miss that one too.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So glad we had all that nice weather in March. It’s comforting to keep telling myself that when you lose a 3 day weekend. 

Haven't planted anything because the soil is so dry I'd drain our well trying to moisten it.  So today we'll visit Longfellow's in Manchester and pick up tomatoes/peppers/whatever else looks good.  We'll stop at Kennebec Cabin Company on the way home, the old house fixed up as a store by Maine Cabin Masters - among other things would like to see Ashley's work table, a single wood slab 4x12 feet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Haven't planted anything because the soil is so dry I'd drain our well trying to moisten it.  So today we'll visit Longfellow's in Manchester and pick up tomatoes/peppers/whatever else looks good.  We'll stop at Kennebec Cabin Company on the way home, the old house fixed up as a store by Maine Cabin Masters - among other things would like to see Ashley's work table, a single wood slab 4x12 feet.

Planted ours last week. At least they got a drink. LOL.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Nice. I enjoy that show, looks like a down to earth group that I’d enjoy grabbing a beer with. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Rain and snow mix here, 36.0° F. I've had periods of wet flakes mixed in during the heavier bouts of precipitation since around 1 AM. This is the latest trace of snow I've ever observed in my lifetime. Amazing stuff! 

Elevation ftw, though latitude can help.  In 1980 when we still lived in town at Fort Kent,  at 550', I delayed planting tomatoes/peppers for a week because we'd always get cool and windy wx right after Memorial Day weekend.  2 days after planting we had upper 30s with enough snow to turn the grass a couple shades lighter than lime green but not quite enough to measure - it was June 9.   Co-workers measuring cubic content of spruce west of Allagash at 12-1300' froze their butts as 1"+ fell on them.  5 days later it was 90°.

Nice. I enjoy that show, looks like a down to earth group that I’d enjoy grabbing a beer with. 

One of their projects involved folks connected with a S. Maine microbrewery and they had a special MCM beer brewed.  I can't remember the brewery (I don't drink - mea culpa) so no idea if that was a one-time brew or a continued product.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Quit the drowning in misery and start drinking. It’s a 3 day weekend. Enjoy it regardless 

Good morning DIT.  Looking out the back window at the postage stamp I was musing that in my coastal neck of the urban woods I could probably copy and paste this day to a number I’ve experienced during meteorological winter. As a matter of aged stubbornness in May 29th, I’m still keeping the window open. As always ...