Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nothing says Memorial Day weekend like -5C 850s.

784BCCC7-5A3D-466F-A3F3-73BDC7D78EDB.thumb.png.4d21cdcea311f424192b8a4cc1eb3a02.png

There’s no sign of sustained heat in the LR either. We were told summer was here months ago but besides this past Saturday and Sunday, I haven’t seen it. Cooler but dry is a bit odd too. Usually when it’s a cool spring, it’s wet...although that can change in a hurry. 

• Like 2

45⁰ 

The main forecast concern is the potential for a few strong to 
severe t-storms in the afternoon in the interior. Mid level 
shortwave will be moving across Gt Lakes with a pre-frontal trough 
moving into SNE in the afternoon which will be a focus for 
convection. Decent instability develops in the interior with CAPES 
1000-1500 J/kg and increasing wind field results in deep layer shear 
30-35 kt supporting storm organization and potential severe weather. 
CAMs are showing some broken line segments moving into interior SNE 
during afternoon with damaging wind being the main threat. However, 
forecast soundings also show decent turning in the lowest 3km in the 
CT valley with effective SRH 100-200 m2/s2, aided by backed low 
level flow and there is favorable 0-3km CAPE, so can't rule out an 
isolated tornado with any discrete storms. Will continue to monitor 
with later forecasts.
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s not a chilly wet pattern. Next week looks near to slightly AN

Potential for substantial rain on Friday
afternoon into Saturday morning as low-pressure passes New
England to the south. This will be followed by cooler
temperatures for the holiday weekend. Warmer temperatures
early next week but with the possibility of clouds and showery
precipitation.
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not seeing anything showing your cold and wet pattern next week and beyond. But I also don’t see any 90+ until 2nd week of June either 

Well it’s not going to be 40s with rain but if your looking for that summer dewy heat you’ve been saying was here to stay, since March...you’ll be disappointed. You Gotta admit though, the coc-y spring has been very enjoyable, yes?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well it’s not going to be 40s with rain but if your looking for that summer dewy heat you’ve been saying was here to stay, since March...you’ll be disappointed. You Gotta admit though, the coc-y spring has been very enjoyable, yes?

It’s been a great spring . No cold drizzly days. Only 1-2 brief cool shots . Tons of sun. Only thing that’s not good is the overall Stein . It’s officially in top 8 warmest and warmest since 2012. I saw a stat yesterday .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s been a great spring . No cold drizzly days. Only 1-2 brief cool shots . Tons of sun. Only thing that’s not good is the overall Stein . It’s officially in top 8 warmest and warmest since 2012. I saw a stat yesterday .

Fake warmth with higher mins but it’s been a great spring, agree. Could use some rain as the pollen and dry lawn is making my kids allergies act up like I’ve never seen before. I’m not sure what the pollen stats say but it’s pretty filthy around here. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

True but it’s not a completely linear relationship, no?  You still need forcing and a way to wring that moisture out.

In the long term you can see it happen with the new 30-year normals when some spots gained like 6” annual water.  But it still can come in cycles.

Being warmer doesn’t mean the precip comes evenly spread either... maybe we end up with more cold season water and less in warm season?  I could see some distribution changes... maybe less frequent precip events but when they do happen they are bigger water makers?

All interesting to consider.

Yes....doesn't mean the distribution is even. I also agree that it could create some barriers with respect to cyclogenesis due to shearing/decreased gradient, but overall, its a wetter planet.

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah there are lots of variables. In general warmer air can hold more water vapor,  but then you need to consider if there are any hemispheric changes to ridging and trough anomalies. Maybe some areas get drier, and some of the typical dry areas get a little wetter. Who knows.

I don't think areas near the ocean would get drier...and while there may be less overall significant cyclogenesis, there will be more whoppers, which will still account for a net gain in precipitation. As far as a greater percentage coming during the cold season, great, AFAIC.....less wasted QPF on rain outs at Fenway, and  more on winter storms

On 5/18/2021 at 4:25 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Best and hottest second only to 2012. Early summer has locked in this year. Gonna be a special one for the heat and dew haters 

??? BDL was below average for April and could finish May below average too. Link?

17 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why? Why is that the earth can warm, but can't be wetter? If the earth is warming, its going to be wetter...period. Will there be some regression, probably, but toss climo like you do with temps.

As I'm sure you know, climatologists are generally predicting more variable wx including bigger precip events and longer dry spells.  So instead of (hypothetical) June having 6 days with significant RA totaling 4", we get 2 deluge days 3 weeks apart, totaling 5", much of which runs off rather than soaking in.  :fulltilt:

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Fake warmth with higher mins but it’s been a great spring, agree. Could use some rain as the pollen and dry lawn is making my kids allergies act up like I’ve never seen before. I’m not sure what the pollen stats say but it’s pretty filthy around here. 

Tree pollen counts were very high last week and moderate to high this week. That’s for MA but probably similar for CT.

There is certainly room for the first week of June to be quite warm. There are no strong signals which really making glaring which direction we will go but it's going to be a battle of being influenced by western ATL low and ridging to our west...but you have a huge dome of +15C to +16C 850 temps well into the OV and TN Valley and it won't take much to get these into our region. the first few days look quite cool but we could warm up very quickly and probably even see some humidity too

37 minutes ago, tamarack said:

As I'm sure you know, climatologists are generally predicting more variable wx including bigger precip events and longer dry spells.  So instead of (hypothetical) June having 6 days with significant RA totaling 4", we get 2 deluge days 3 weeks apart, totaling 5", much of which runs off rather than soaking in.  :fulltilt:

I agree with that. In the aggregate, precip will be greater, but it won't be as evenly distributed.