Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That almost doesn’t look real. I kinda want to make a puzzle out of it like Gene did.

iPhone 11 has been pretty good.  It has whatever their default auto-edit post process on it.  Does make it pop a bit.  Either way the camera on these phones is crazy when I’ve also got a couple grand of equipment in my backpack that stays there more and more these days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That sounds pretty good... lack of rainy days keeping people inside.  It’s the time of year with like only 7 hours of true darkness, can be outdoors as much as possible without rain.

Its crazy how light it is out at 8pm right now.  Could start a run, walk or bike ride now.  The Rec Path is still bustling with activity out the window, ha.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That sounds pretty good... lack of rainy days keeping people inside.  It’s the time of year with like only 7 hours of true darkness, can be outdoors as much as possible without rain.

Its crazy how light it is out at 8pm right now.  Could start a run, walk or bike ride now.  The Rec Path is still bustling with activity out the window, ha.

1-2” of rain is dire and needed each week in summer. It hasn’t rained now for 2 weeks .  

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

1-2” of rain is dire and needed each week in summer. It hasn’t rained now for 2 weeks .  

Looks like ORH averages around 1” per week all summer if you look at it that way... but saying 1-2” a week is dire seems like 4-8” is what summer months should have.  Most stations appear to be 3.50-4.25” type monthly averages.

Anyway, hope you get the rain for your lawn.  I definitely don’t hate plenty of dry weather to spend outside.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like ORH averages around 1” per week all summer if you look at it that way... but saying 1-2” a week is dire seems like 4-8” is what summer months should have.  Most stations appear to be 3.50-4.25” type monthly averages.

Anyway, hope you get the rain for your lawn.  I definitely don’t hate plenty of dry weather to spend outside.

I know a lot of farmers around here and they are definitely getting a little antsy for some rain.  Nothing dire yet but wouldn't want to go too much longer without a decent soaking.

Just now, kdxken said:

Where you been man? Convection all around and now you show your face. We were looking for guidance....

I made a post or two about today a few days back...was never really sold on today. We have had some convective events...had a pretty nice thunderstorm last Sunday actually. I'm just waiting for some "bigger type" setups lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I know a lot of farmers around here and they are definitely getting a little antsy for some rain.  Nothing dire yet but wouldn't want to go too much longer without a decent soaking.

Yeah for sure, feel for the farmers if it's dry.  I guess what I am getting at is that if I had to choose wet or dry summer, I'd go dry summer over the alternative of having it rain every other day and 6-7" monthly rain totals.  For outdoor activities it's fantastic to stay dry.  It can change in a hurry around these parts with large standard deviations in the summer.  Could have a month of 1-2" of rain or a 6-7" month.

It's been a few seasons it seems, but I remember some May/June/July's where it just doesn't stop raining. 

• Like 1

Definitely some lean years the past 3-4 summers but plenty of surplus in the 2010s. Looking at the Mansfield data...

May/June Average... 13.28"

May/June 2017... 21.86"

May/June 2015... 21.80" (15" June)

May/June 2013... 24.55"

May/June 2011... 21.82"

Really odd that every other year was obscenely wet this time of year throughout the 2010s.  I remember 2015 and 2017... just never stopped raining.  Averaged a half an inch per day on the mountain for the entire month of June 2015 with major flash flooding events.

Back when it rained and everyone on here kept commenting on mushrooms growing in their yards, ha.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah for sure, feel for the farmers if it's dry.  I guess what I am getting at is that if I had to choose wet or dry summer, I'd go dry summer over the alternative of having it rain every other day and 6-7" monthly rain totals.  For outdoor activities it's fantastic to stay dry.  It can change in a hurry around these parts with large standard deviations in the summer.  Could have a month of 1-2" of rain or a 6-7" month.

It's been a few seasons it seems, but I remember some May/June/July's where it just doesn't stop raining. 

Yeah, if it wasn't for the killer pollen this year I am all for dry weather.

0.07" with yesterday's front bring the May total to 0.77".  I'd rather see a dry spell in midsummer when the veggie roots are well down into the soil than now at planting time.  After 10 consecutive days with highs 73+, there was frozen dew on the vehicles this morning.

26 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There will probably be a lot more yellow on that map come Thursday.

With little to none thru the weekend..Wednesday storms are best threat and even that is iffy . GFS all alone on coastal so that’s tossed. Euro and Canadian are dry the whole weekend. Maybe couple showers Friday evening / night