Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

When I was at WestConn Westside Campus I think was like up around 700' while the bottom of the hill was maybe a couple hundred...if even that. Anyways it was about a mile from the top of the hill to the bottom (or maybe 3/4 of a mile). I remember a couple times driving and it would be rain at the bottom and as you got higher it would flip and at the top there would be a coating+ of snow. I've done the walk a few times and it's super cool when you get to the transition spot. 

I remember this, too. It can be uncanny--especially if you're at the top of any of the buildings up there looking out over the hills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Hiked the dog up to 2,400ft and it’s snowing lightly.  Feels like October... not a fan but if it’s going to be cold, might as well see flakes.

Can see the snow level by the visibility change under the ridge across the valley.

7EB291D8-C4B3-4B22-9B9B-9F0EB4B54CB0.thumb.jpeg.76010eb62fd131f94aa240a01db672a2.jpeg

Ohhh pfff , you never saw a snowflake you didn’t like 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ohhh pfff , you never saw a snowflake you didn’t like 

Oh for sure. Love snowflakes, ha.  Not a fan of 44F rain... much rather go find snowflakes or have it be 60+ degrees.  Will’s always said that and it resonates... if it’s going to be shitty, might as well see some flakes.

• Like 3

Were getting pretty close to full leaf out now in this part of the valley.  We are always ahead of most areas here , but it has slowed here the past couple weeks  During my travels this spring, leaf out was the quickest right down in Southwest Connecticut and then in the Connecticut River Valley.   The Hills always look like they're a week or two behind. I was up in Maine last week and our family cabin 22 miles NW of AUG looked like it was about 3 weeks behind.  Driving home through the mountains last Wednesday , looked like it was about 6 weeks behind in Phin's area , mainly brown with tiny buds and the snow covered tops of the Presidentials in the backdrop. 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Had accumulating graupel too on elevated surfaces and the mulch beds.  Temp outside the office got down to 41F in precip, lol.  Then sun comes out and it’s 50F again.

Pretty solid graupel shower during the baseball game yesterday, and rain/graupel mix on the way to work this morning in the Catskills.  Bring on any warm weather.

Reads like everyone's greened(ing) up well enough as it is... but, between the Euro's better fit for the -PNA hemisphere, and the National Blend machine guidance et al, it looks like we are in for several back to back days of west trajectory, under fairly low RH ceilings under 900 mbs Ts supporting 71 to 77 F ( before applying spikes..) to afternoons. Lows probably 48 to 54. That should "broaden" the broad aspect of the maple leaves ... change the misty virgin greens of the hill fascia into more of that deeper darker lush hue.

That extended range 80s the Euro hinted at for several recent cycles may not transpire - or it may yet... but, at least we should get some sort of short sleever afternoons through the period. 

Seems to be a tussle in the models between the -PNA hemisphere wending the westerly synoptic construct underneath this propensity to keep re-introducing blocking pieces of useless shit turds above it...  ( how do I really feel though ? )  ... The flow is getting more nebular above the HC interface out there in time, tho - seems it's just as likely that Maritime trough idea ...pulsing in and out of relevancy deepening on guidance source and cycle, could be either more or less inhibiting...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya he’s in a pit...His low temps are not representative..definitely a cold gully there where he is.  

Certainly is a pit, but a picturesque one at least....the diurnal ranges have been pretty impressive since we moved here. There have been a few instances that we are 15+ degrees different from the OXC numbers, we are roughly 9 miles away

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Also, ... some lingering 500 mb lag cyclonic curvature Fri-Sun, with 74 underneath high sun ... I am noticing some QPF speckles 18z over land them days - maybe we can pop corn

Definitely should see some orographic induced showers w/pea-hail this weekend I think. 

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Definitely should see some orographic induced showers w/pea-hail this weekend I think. 

Heh... ur funny - just say modest instability cumulonimbi ... but you gotta get the word 'hail' in there.  lol -