Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Considering it’s the 2nd highest hill in Tolland and the highest point Bald Hill I wouldn’t buy any of the homes there.. we go lower. Most of town is 700+ feet and the areas we looking are 800+.. but it still would hurt 

Why the move? 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Considering it’s the 2nd highest hill in Tolland and the highest point Bald Hill I wouldn’t buy any of the homes there.. we go lower. Most of town is 700+ feet and the areas we looking are 800+.. but it still would hurt 

Seems like you can’t really lose though.... talking fractions ultimately 

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We trade wind damage for flooding

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I love how they were snow right down to Narragansett Bay yet the CRV got nothing.  :lol:

I was a kid in Cambridge and I remember even there we got close to an inch.

I was in Natick and we got crushed.  Trees were mostly out and limbs were down everywhere, difficult geting around for a few days. 

Window units are standing by in the basement waiting for winter to end.   

• Like 2

Kevin will be at like 750’. It’s going to kill him. You could see him driving up to his old house in borderline events, parking in the driveway of the new owners of the house, and just staying in his truck drinking an IPA. Not wanting to go back down below 800’ where it’s white rain.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kevin will be at like 750’. It’s going to kill him. You could see him driving up to his old house in borderline events, parking in the driveway of the new owners of the house, and just staying in his truck drinking an IPA. Not wanting to go back down below 800’ where it’s white rain.

We have friends who are winter enthusiasts and a couple of years ago they were moving up to the hills and had a choice between two houses. 
One at around 800’ and another around 1100” both in the town of Heath. 
They chose the house at 800’ which to me was  the nicer house but they can’t believe the difference that 300’ makes with regards to snow.  

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

At least he can use BDL all year now. 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We have friends who are winter enthusiasts and a couple of years ago they were moving up to the hills and had a choice between two houses. 
They chose the house at 800’ which to me was  the nicer house but they can’t believe the difference that 300’ makes with regards to snow.  

You should see what a few hundred feet does here. There is a huge difference at 32.0F and like 33.5F. Which can happen in borderline events with a difference of 200-300'. Meanwhile, I may eventually move further south in Plymouth County. May shave off a few inches a year, but at least Phil comes to visit now and then.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Trying to keep it over 800 feet. And again we may stay for time being . Nothing imminent in this market

44 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You should see what a few hundred feet does here. There is a huge difference at 32.0F and like 33.5F. Which can happen in borderline events with a difference of 200-300'. Meanwhile, I may eventually move further south in Plymouth County. May shave off a few inches a year, but at least Phil comes to visit now and then.

Few hundred feet is like 40 miles of latitude.

When you go from Portsmouth NH, to the top of MT Washington, it’s like traveling 1500 miles in terms of climate zones and you can do it all in ~3 hrs.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Never. Just not for us. Know too many people that did that and now can’t find a house. Realtor says never to do that in this type of market 

I know we are going O/T, but it may be awhile before things settle down. 

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Never. Just not for us. Know too many people that did that and now can’t find a house. Realtor says never to do that in this type of market 

Has a realtor ever thought a market making them money was going to head down . She may be right but certainly biased .

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I guess we going to go through May without severe wx...what a joke

Firstly, it's May 11 ... Now I'm no expert at load balancing but it seems to me there are more days of May yet to come ?  

Secondly, even considering the dearth of activity as a result:   that's typical for May in this region since I've lived here, and it seems less like a joke, and more like spring being spring in NE. 

Anecdotally .. I seem to recall more of our "severe" ( our version of what severe means anyway ...) as being a June and July thing...  It's almost like the termination latitude of the "severe band" if you will, that starts around the Gulf states in mid February, ...then TX/ ... west TX by say early April ... moving N to OK/KAN over to the TV in mid April...  Then up toward IA/IL/ S. Lakes to OH/ western PA by mid to late May ... weakening as it goes as far as 'how severe' ... I mean you can obviously still get an EOF5 ... Worcester had one in 1953 that was/is imprisoned in the historic annuls as a EF4 by a 'storm-racist' policy ...  It's the Ruben "Hurricane" Carter tornado ...LOL.

Anyway ... New England' severe season is like the band at its weakest by the time it gets here and May is too early. 

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

300ft is noticeable for sure.  That’s about where you get 1 degree difference of moist adiabatic lapse rate... that’s the 33F vs 32F in an elevation event.  See it around here all the time... 750ft vs 1000+ in the valley.... or 1500ft vs 1800ft in the base area.

When sitting in marginal temps, 300 feet is like the distance that you really start to notice differences.  Find the slop line in an elevation event, and go 300ft higher to winter, ha.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Firstly, it's May 11 ... Now I'm no expert at load balancing but it seems to me there are more days of May yet to come ?  

Secondly, even considering the dearth of activity as a result:   that's typical for May in this region since I've lived here, and it seems less like a joke, and more like spring being spring in NE. 

Anecdotally .. I seem to recall more of our "severe" ( our version of what severe means anyway ...) as being a June and July thing...  It's almost like the termination latitude of the "severe band" if you will, that starts around the Gulf states in mid February, ...then TX/ ... west TX by say early April ... moving N to OK/KAN over to the TV in mid April...  Then up toward IA/IL/ S. Lakes to OH/ western PA by mid to late May ... weakening as it goes as far as 'how severe' ... I mean you can obviously still get an EOF5 ... Worcester had one in 1953 that was/is imprisoned in the historic annuls as a EF4 by a 'storm-racist' policy ...  It's the Ruben "Hurricane" Carter tornado ...LOL.

Anyway ... New England' severe season is like the band at its weakest by the time it gets here and May is too early. 

The waiting game just sucks. I always figure our best likelihood for a higher-end severe threat is usually from like mid-to-late may through mid-July. After mid-July we usually begin to establish deep SW flow through the column and have to deal with poor lapse rates.

When I was at WestConn Westside Campus I think was like up around 700' while the bottom of the hill was maybe a couple hundred...if even that. Anyways it was about a mile from the top of the hill to the bottom (or maybe 3/4 of a mile). I remember a couple times driving and it would be rain at the bottom and as you got higher it would flip and at the top there would be a coating+ of snow. I've done the walk a few times and it's super cool when you get to the transition spot. 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

300ft is noticeable for sure.  That’s about where you get 1 degree difference of moist adiabatic lapse rate... that’s the 33F vs 32F in an elevation event.  See it around here all the time... 750ft vs 1000+ in the valley.... or 1500ft vs 1800ft in the base area.

When sitting in marginal temps, 300 feet is like the distance that you really start to notice differences.  Find the slop line in an elevation event, and go 300ft higher to winter, ha.

Blue Hill at 635' and maybe 7NM west of me practically doubled my snowfall this season.  Amazing.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Correct. Great market to sell in but a terrible market to buy . Homes that need well over 100K in repairs are selling for well over asking price.  They are way to0 many bidders for the available homes.   Renting is risky because of the lease requirement.