Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It does look to turn considerably warmer after this weekend. Good for Ineedsnow. Will be IneedAC soon. Bring the warmth and dews.

Lots of sweating in the cruiser in the concrete jungle too. Which side is that taser again?

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

Can you use it to provide a parallel estimate as the previous gauge you have or are you going to remove the other one?  If the former, please post the differences you're seeing sometime. 

I can try it standalone with the provided counter, but with my setup I can only have one wired to the Davis ISS. There’s ways to add multiple sensors, but not with my setup. I add new soil moisture/leafwetness sensors and their new AirLink PM2.5/PM10 sensor too. Finally spending my trump money from last year. I chose wx sensors over Doge.

Just now, dendrite said:

I can try it standalone with the provided counter, but with my setup I can only have one wired to the Davis ISS. There’s ways to add multiple sensors, but not with my setup. I add new soil moisture/leafwetness sensors and their new AirLink PM2.5/PM10 sensor too. Finally spending my trump money from last year. I chose wx sensors over Doge.

:yikes: :yikes:

FWIW these are the sensors that we're using... Vaisala WXT536.  They have an acoustic disdrometer on the top.    At DFW airport we also have an OTT Parsivel laser disdrometer that's pretty cool and we think *should* be the most accurate of them all, but of course it's very hard to say for sure.

20180226_164139.thumb.jpg.93acc47d4c161ad5c50dc2a891ec7775.jpg

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

:yikes: :yikes:

FWIW these are the sensors that we're using... Vaisala WXT536.  They have an acoustic disdrometer on the top.    At DFW airport we also have an OTT Parsivel laser disdrometer that's pretty cool and we think *should* be the most accurate of them all, but of course it's very hard to say for sure.

20180226_164139.thumb.jpg.93acc47d4c161ad5c50dc2a891ec7775.jpg

How does the WXT536 perform with liquid equiv of frozen precip? I was considering one of those years ago, but at the time there was no option to separate the ultrasonic anny from the temp to place them at different heights. I'm not sure if you can now, but they now have the 532 (wind only) and 535 (everything except wind) options to pair together.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How does the WXT536 perform with liquid equiv of frozen precip? I was considering one of those years ago, but at the time there was no option to separate the ultrasonic anny from the temp to place them at different heights. I'm not sure if you can now, but they now have the 532 (wind only) and 535 (everything except wind) options to pair together.

I really can't make any kind of assessment because we've had exactly one frozen precip event in Tarrant County since we set them up. I'm a little bit skeptical of their performance because acoustically speaking, wind driven graupel would behave quite differently than pure dendrites falling softly.  But anyway, I'd have to look more into it. 

Our own sample size aside, the Parsivel disdrometer should be good at that because it images the hydrometeor shapes and calculates their fall speeds, which, when combined with air resistance equations should give an estimate of density.   We submitted a proposal to NOAA to install two of those here in the northeast, one in a coastal location, and another at an elevated inland location to look into that exact problem, but the decision is still pending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bostonseminole said:

so finally install this weekend? I'm ready for some summer weather, want to head to the beach before family heads up north..

I pretty much don't install until there is strong model agreement on a week in the 80's.   It really doesn't take too long, especially since I have small window units and a large portable.

Give me open windows, fresh air and fans any day!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I pretty much don't install until there is strong model agreement on a week in the 80's.   It really doesn't take too long, especially since I have small window units and a large portable.

We have central air, but we turn it off if the weather is nice/low humidity-never understand people who run it 24/7 from May-October

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

AC is all about dews for me. If it’s like 85/45 (rare), I wouldn’t turn the AC on. But a 75/70 day, yes. 

• Like 2

Man... Euro's Fri/Sat in a dead heat for top scoring on best days of the season thus far. 

WNW d-slope flow under 850 mb of +6 C by day ends under a solar max sun, of course that's predicated on the amount of sun ... The basic synoptic/coarse parameters look like 77 F with people driving off roads across fields for having slipped into comas operating heavy machinery on heroin type days -

Thing about the Euro, I've noticed it tends to be a bit much with its RH fields at 300, 500, and 700 mb levels in its mid/ext ranges.  So, I'm not sure with steadily rising heights those days, and a surface ridge stalled over PA enforcing katabatic flow through NE ..if we're really going to be that overcast ... I bet that's sunnier.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Man... Euro's Fri/Sat in a dead heat for top scoring on best days of the season thus far. 

WNW d-slope flow under 850 mb of +6 C by day ends under a solar max sun, of course that's predicated on the amount of sun ... The basic synoptic/coarse parameters look like 77 F with people driving off roads across fields for having slipped into comas operating heavy machinery on heroin type days -

Thing about the Euro, I've noticed it tends to be a bit much with its RH fields at 300, 500, and 700 mb levels in its mid/ext ranges.  So, I'm not sure with steadily rising heights those days, and a surface ridge stalled over PA enforcing katabatic flow through NE ..if we're really going to be that overcast ... I bet that's sunnier.

Driving off roads for quickies into hay fields?

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

xmQmdrF.jpg

You have what seems to be a very nice home there...why don’t you invest in some central air for your home.  There’s Nothing like it...once you have it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long.  I never had it growing up, and now that I do, I’ll never be without it again. 

• Like 2

Just now, WinterWolf said:

You have what seems to be a very nice home there...why don’t you invest in some central air for your home.  There’s Nothing like it...once you have it, you’ll wonder why you waited so long.  I never had it growing up, and now that I do, I’ll never be without it again. 

Fair chance we relocate in town in the next year so do not want to drop 15k+ into it 

• Like 1