Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I didn't realize Concord got so little snow, I guess they're too far north, Worcester does better and is quite a ways south.

When they stopped the obs at the airport and went to the coop for snow obs I noticed the CON numbers creeping up higher than usual with respect to me and other obs. So I think you’ll see them go up with relation to the other sites the next two decadal normal updates. SNE has been on a hell of a streak in the past decade though. 

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

When they stopped the obs at the airport and went to the coop for snow obs I noticed the CON numbers creeping up higher than usual with respect to me and other obs. So I think you’ll see them go up with relation to the other sites the next two decadal normal updates. SNE has been on a hell of a streak in the past decade though. 

It pains to say it, but this area especially is due for a correction. Although our SD for snowfall is more wild, a 20-25% increase in snowfall avg over the last 20 years or so, is destined to fall. Unless this is a brief new climo normal before Tip's Hadley Cell devours us all.

Now is the perfect time to install. Why people wait until it's 90/70 out then they are drenching themselves in sweat installing. Install now, clean the filter, make sure it's running properly and boom...first hot/humid day you're good to go. And...you can get it cranking before the heat/humidity kicks in and the AC will work much more efficiently as  opposed to starting it up when it's already hot/humid. 

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

ORH is nearly 700' higher and the Merrimac Valley funnels warm air toward CON. 

Good point, my nephew lives north of Laker Sunapee and gets a ton of snow, one March they had almost three feet on the ground and they came down here for a funeral and we had bare ground and 50 degrees. I guess elevation is a big key up that way.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Now is the perfect time to install. Why people wait until it's 90/70 out then they are drenching themselves in sweat installing. Install now, clean the filter, make sure it's running properly and boom...first hot/humid day you're good to go. And...you can get it cranking before the heat/humidity kicks in and the AC will work much more efficiently as  opposed to starting it up when it's already hot/humid. 

LOL at the install comments.  Like's it an f'n hard thing to do.

• Haha 4

Yea that 5 minutes it takes to pop a window unit in is brutal. I only have floor units that take 3 minutes. Filter should have been cleaned before you put it away.

It's like the people who wait until the day before the first snowstorm of the season to fire up the snow blower and make sure it works.

We are weather people we know when to install. Do you start your car the night before to make sure it works in the morning? 

Agreed with extreme shaking you violence .. You get em’ up and in when it’s not hot. They take 20+ minutes each. So if you’ve got 4 it’s a sweaty mess if you’re doing it in HHH. I will never , ever get that mentality 

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Agreed with extreme shaking you violence .. You get em’ up and in when it’s not hot. They take 20+ minutes each. So if you’ve got 4 it’s a sweaty mess if you’re doing it in HHH. I will never , ever get that mentality 

If it takes 20 minutes, just put them in the day before it gets hot.  Like Ginxy said, this board knows when it’s going to get hot.

Its such an easy process with a window unit... in college we had one and would literally just move it to whatever room we were hanging out in.  Pick it up, carry it, set it in the window, close window on top of it, plug it in.  AC is now working :lol:.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

If it takes 20 minutes, just put them in the day before it gets hot.  Like Ginxy said, this board knows when it’s going to get hot.

Its such an easy process with a window unit... in college we had one and would literally just move it to whatever room we were hanging out in.  Pick it up, carry it, set it in the window, close window on top of it, plug it in.  AC is now working.

You make it sound like it’s a task like painting your house that requires planning and days to do.

Why not get it done ? Cross it off the never ending chore list? It hangs over your head, and you dread doing it.. positioning them , taping etc to ensure no bugs or pollen or doggie door smells from the yard get in.. cleaning them with Lysol wipes etc to make sure you’re not breathing in black mold which can get inside them. You don’t just lift the sash, set them in and screw and done . If anyone is doing that .. congrats on Appalachia 

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why not get it done ? Cross it off the never ending chore list? It hangs over your head, and you dread doing it.. positioning them , taking etc to ensure no bugs or pollen or doggie door smells from the yard get in.. cleaning them with Lysol wipes etc to make sure you’re not breathing in black mold which can get inside them. You don’t just lift the sash, set them in and screw and done . If anyone is doing that .. congrats on Appalachia 

I don’t use window units anymore but yeah if you dread doing it that much, get it done.  But I remember it was pretty damn simple using them for 6 years or so living in BTV.  I hated having them in windows on the whole as there are a lot of warm/not hot days where you just like having windows open.

If it’s a hour of your life you dread, definitely have at it. Maybe it’s also like taking the shovels and sleds out of the attic on like Oct 1st.... makes you look forward to the upcoming season even if you won’t need them for weeks.

Turned into a pretty nice day, despite chilly. Got up to 55F.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

well most people drive every day so...

Point being it might not start tomorrow.  Same with AC. If it was running in perfect condition when you properly stored it away it should run. Of course a snow blower gas engine is a different story 

• Like 1