• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

100.9 F for a high at my weather station on my roof today. 5-6 F higher than the official NWS reporting stations nearby, but 2 of the 3 PWSs nearest my house all also registered 100+ for a high.  This is the first 100 since I installed it last September 6. This week has undone a good chunk of the nice wet cool weather we had over the past month and a half.

My area got to about 95, which is maybe 3 degrees warmer than yesterday, I think

Sunset with forest fire smoke from SE Utah

sMeG6VS.jpg

my picture of Devil's Backbone park in Loveland. There's a hole in the rock. Thankfully, I did not take this picture when it was 95 degrees!

1qPjFJZ.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 9:36 PM, Chinook said:

Some storms built over my area, going slightly westward at sunset. Despite the rainy month of May, this is only the 2nd day when I have seen lightning this year.

I watched the radar loop on this on Sunday, and it was the oddest storm motion that I can recall.  It stumbled like a drunken pirate...moving northeast, then west, then a very sudden about-face to move east before dissipating.   The anvil was a beautiful site from up here though.

This moisture has been great to see.  Rain every day since Thursday.  Perhaps a bit too much on Saturday night when we had a rather long duration of several hours of moderate rain and we had some burn scar issues up here.  We lost a portion of a road in our neighborhood due to a blowout upstream with debris flowing down.  But I'll take that over last summer's relentless drought.

my observations

june 18 evening: lightning picture, distant thunderstorm picture, trace of rain
june 19-20- trace of rain, some rain in Fort Collins
june 24-25- 0.37" of rain, some lightning
june 25-26- 0.35" rain, some lightning
june 26-27- 0.03" rain

My @$#% rain gauge hasn't been working, have to go up and fix it. But all the PWSs around here got 3" of rain total Fri through Sat and given the buckets in our yard I don't doubt that a bit. We were up camping in Golden Gate Canyon getting soaked every time we were out of the tent, and pretty darn cold. We actually came home early for the first time in decades. Go figure. wow.

I don't think my place got a single flash flood watch last year. Some CAM models have maximums of 1.25" to 1.75" near Denver today. The current HRRR has a variable 0.55" to 1.0" for Denver city in the next 18 hrs.

* Flash Flood Watch

* Through this evening.

* Increasing moisture and instability today will lead to widespread
  thunderstorm development by the early afternoon. Heavy rain and
  flash flooding will be possible in these slow moving storms,
  especially over burn areas.

Not a whole lot of rain happened at I-25. As for me, only light to moderate rain happened a couple of times. As per usual, flash flood watches in western areas have few spots that have heavy rain on any given day. Maybe we will turn things around and get some better rainfall in July.

For the past year, the precipitation patterns locally have behaved much more like older years than recent years. Will be real curious to see if that continues into the rest of Summer and Fall. The most similar years to July-June 2020-21 also produced a wet monsoon. Some of the early things I look at imply a reversion toward a neutral or positive PDO base state by late year too.

We got hit today by 3 strong cells. And we also got hit by the most specific flash flood warning I have seen, for only our neighborhood. The burn scars sent a nice wall of water down two streams and took out a couple of roads.  It has rained for 9 out of the last 10 days now.  

This is the Larimer County Sheriff's Office with an emergency message. Dangerous flooding is occurring in The Retreat Area of Glen Haven. Streamside Dr and Fishermans Ln are the most impacted areas at this time. Immediately reach higher ground by any means necessary. Avoid area subject to flooding including dips, low spots, ditches, etc. and do not attempt to cross flowing streams or creeks. If driving, be aware that the road may not be intact under flood waters. Never drive through flooded roadways - turn around and go another way. If your vehicle stalls, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.