Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Few Tstms with hail-gust 40-45KT 1P-6P especially NJ/se NYS/w LI

wdrag

Just now, bluewave said:

This may be close to the record for largest NYC hail in April.

At 2:25 PM EDT, 2 SE Midtown Manhattan [Queens Co, NY] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HAIL of penny size (M0.75 INCH) https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/lsr/#OKX/202104211825/202104211825

this is definitely hail I see crashing into my windows here and extremely heavy rain like a waterfall!

Just now, bluewave said:

This may be close to the record for largest NYC hail in April.

At 2:25 PM EDT, 2 SE Midtown Manhattan [Queens Co, NY] TRAINED SPOTTER reports HAIL of penny size (M0.75 INCH) https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/lsr/#OKX/202104211825/202104211825

whats the record for hail size all time in NYC and nearby area (like Long Island, Nassau County, etc?)  Also in terms of duration (how long it lasts and how much can accumulate at one time?)

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

whats the record for hail size all time in NYC and nearby area (like Long Island, Nassau County, etc?)  Also in terms of duration (how long it lasts and how much can accumulate at one time?)

Can’t speak for the record but there’s been hail large enough to damage cars within the last few years or so as a result of the sea breeze front driven storms in the summer, I think they were in the Mineola/Garden City area. 

Thunder here right now but I might get split by the storms coming through now. Looks like some small hail maybe in south central Nassau and northern Nassau near Glen Cove. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

Can’t speak for the record but there’s been hail large enough to damage cars within the last few years or so as a result of the sea breeze front driven storms in the summer, I think they were in the Mineola/Garden City area. 

Thunder here right now but I might get split by the storms coming through now. Looks like some small hail maybe in south central Nassau and northern Nassau near Glen Cove. 

yeah we had that hail about 10-15 min ago along with blinding rain, it was pretty exciting.

I think I remember the event you mentioned, and there was one on the north sure of Queens too....something like hours of hail with snow plows out lol.

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

There was softball 4” size hail in new Hyde park Long Island with an isolated pop up sea breeze front storm about ten summers ago. Lots of legit damage. 

• Like 1

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

There was softball 4” size hail in new Hyde park Long Island with an isolated pop up sea breeze front storm about ten summers ago. Lots of legit damage. 

I can attest to that--was outside LIJ when it started--damaged hundreds of vehicles--no snow plows needed.  Watched softball sized hail fall from the sky and wreak havoc

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

it's hailing here again it actually sounds like pebbles hitting my windows, the funny thing is the rain is really light though and the winds are really strong

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yep, if there’s a zone around here where sometimes there’s larger hail it’s along Jericho or Hempstead Tpke where the seabreeze front can fire up some storms.

• Like 1