• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 20-21 late season snow potential

Hoosier

As of 8 pm, light accumulations of snow have been reported around the greater Indianapolis area. It is all but certain that 2021 is the first case with measurable snowfall there on April 20th. 1.5” of snow had also been reported at Romulus, MI. 

Overall, it looks like Detroit remains in line for 2”-4” of snow, Indianapolis for 1”-2”, and Toledo with 3”-6”. However, it appears that snowfall amounts will be a little less than I first thought for Toronto (2”-4”/5 cm - 10 cm).

• Like 1

It appears that Indianapolis has reached 1.0” of snow. That would make today’s snowfall only the second on record where 1.0” or more snow fell on or after April 20th. The only other time that occurred was way back on May 2, 1897. This is also Indianapolis’ first measurable snowfall on or after April 20th since May 6, 1989.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Pound town. 3.6" and still falling.

Top 3 event. Seriously.

15 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Here in Toledo we have 5", so far.  Crazy to see 5" on the my table but a dusting on the concrete.  Will probably hit 7" before compaction.  

Very impressive indeed

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

IND’s advisory criteria can be found here:

https://www.weather.gov/ind/criteria

Although 3”-5” is the threshold, there is an optional 2”-4” threshold. So, it was an event for which the NWS could have gone either way.

I absolutely think the optional should have been used for such a rare, historical event the likes of which we may never see again. If this was January, of course I dont think an advisory should have been issued. But it's almost May ! The eastern part of the state (Richmond) which is under a different office was under an Advisory. Not sure if Wilmington has the same criteria as Indy.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1