• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 15 16 Obs Thread

wxeyeNH

Not sure why Greenfield at 400 ft plus could not flip even with better rates When I left for work this morning there was probably close to an inch on some grassy surfaces at 150'.  According to my phone it's been rain/snow mix in Enfield all morning since I left with temperatures around 34 to 35 degrees.  Not sure anything will be left by the time I get home later.

6 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

Not sure why Greenfield at 400 ft plus could not flip even with better rates When I left for work this morning there was probably close to an inch on some grassy surfaces at 150'.  According to my phone it's been rain/snow mix in Enfield all morning since I left with temperatures around 34 to 35 degrees.  Not sure anything will be left by the time I get home later.

It could be some downsloping or subsidence in the mid levels. I mean clearly he had the QPF, but it only takes one small thing to not be right in a borderline profile, and that's it. 

9 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's weird, it's snowing in Amherst for Christ sake and that is like the valley floor!  I wonder if there is a weird warm layer trapped between 500'-1000' in the narrow valley between Greenfield and Deerfield? 

You get a downslope flow off even a minor hill?  Some sort of compressional warming that is very slight but enough to alter a half a degree Celsius or something?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah exactly. It doesn't take much.

I remember an event like a decade ago I worked at Topnotch Resort for a second job, one night they were pouring rain at 1,000ft but 3 miles away at 750ft there was 4" and dumping snow.  The only thing I could think of is the wind flow was off a ridge up at like 1800ft behind the hotel where as the village was in a straight shot up valley.  Like a small eddy of slightly warmer air from a 700 foot terrain drop had it raining at a higher elevation than plowable snow a few miles away.

In this event... we are up to 6-7" above 3,000ft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It could be some downsloping or subsidence in the mid levels. I mean clearly he had the QPF, but it only takes one small thing to not be right in a borderline profile, and that's it. 

That might be it. There is a Ridgeline no more than a half mile behind my backyard that rises up several hundred feet.  
IIRC the same thing happened in the October storm where it was snowing almost everywhere except for Greenfield and Turners Falls.