Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 15-16 interior snow threat

ORH_wxman

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s April 16th...I don’t think we know what’s gonna happen yet? Modeling has this thing all over the place. lil changes will have a huge impact at this very late date.  Best to expect nothing much in most areas outside of the highest terrain with something like this. 

Going to be a nice cold april rain for many, I don't much care for my BY as its been quite wet but area lakes are pretty low for this time of year due to lack of snow up here and nothing to melt and runoff so we can use it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s April 16th...I don’t think we know what’s gonna happen yet? Modeling has this thing all over the place. lil changes will have a huge impact at this very late date.  Best to expect nothing much in most areas outside of the highest terrain with something like this. 

one man does know what is going to happen....updated forecast from George...

See the source image

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

o many weakened limbs and trees from the recent stretch of high winds the past year...when we crank up severe season in another month going to be seeing lots of damage this summer. If this is a summer we finally get a derecho...there may not be any trees left come September 

Don’t forget tropical. Long Island Express the sequel is coming in August.

Between snow, severe, drought, and tropical we should achieve total deforestation by Labor Day. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lol... Tim Kelly of NECN tweeted FOUS data and said "if this is right we are screwed"

Yup ... he's right - that column ( was trying to use literary technique to back the reader into that notion ...) of data connotes historically in a triangulum roughtly NW RI, to maybe Waltham, Bedford and Worecster.  I dunno, due small compact car types start tenting at 20" ... ?

No exaggeration either.  2. to 2.5" QPF even if at 8:1 and compaction, is probably actually worse in terms of societal impact for everything from removal to grid and back.

I have to say, ever since the day before the December 23rd event of 1997 ( not April 1 earlier that year), when the then, 'ETA' - same NAM model different header - FOUS had Logan with this profile below, I have been hesitant to second guess the isothermal or colder profile of the FOUS grids:

800 mb -3 C;    900 mb 0 C;   980 mb ( mid/upper floors of the Prudential) +2 C.   Total QPF for 6 hours was ~ .54 if memory serves....   and the forecast was for 1-3" in the Worcester Hills ending as drizzle, with perhaps some slush in the city...  That was the general gist.

21" at Tyngsborough and a general 14 to 18" just about everywhere -  'mean, the whole system out performed guidance et al by a goodly amount anyway...but then the cold profile not being taken seriously or just not seen in that grid was laughable. 

Objectively it is not the same ETA model ...it's been mangled by generational upgrades and so forth, and so the correction vectoring ( if you will ) may not be the same.  And all the other guidance' have also had their evolutions .. and, it's f'n April 15 .  We'll see

• Like 1

1 hour ago, White Rain said:

I went there almost 15 years ago for one of their  “special” three course dinners and wine tastings. It was good but the main course was a 2 oz filet and we left hungrier than when we came in. Forced us to drink a lot of wine with the wait between courses. 

Yeah I went there once... saw a Lambo in the parking lot.  Had the escargot which was good, but you're right about the wine drinking.  Would be a good spot to drive to from my place, travel all along weenie ridge. 

13 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

o many weakened limbs and trees from the recent stretch of high winds the past year...when we crank up severe season in another month going to be seeing lots of damage this summer. If this is a summer we finally get a derecho...there may not be any trees left come September 

I hope if we get another one (derecho) it lasts more than 4.5 seconds like the one we got last October. 

• Like 1

Without seeing the gfs, I noticed guidance CAA a tad at 925 into interior NE MA and slings that into CT and RI. What you need to see is the combo of being in that slightly cooler air along with significant lift.  Having that CAA will help a bit in interior eastern areas that are a little lower. It’s obviously nice to see in the higher spots too. The other guidance like Reggie has that only further NW. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Normally it wouldn't matter in winter with a colder profile, but you really need the saturation and lift I think for anything good tomorrow. I didn't much of that outside of Berkshire county into VT and NH. At least on the GFS.

Yeah if GFS verifies, prob basically nothing here. ORH would probably still get decent snows with some elevation, but you're looking at mostly nuisance crap to the east.

We want a 06z Euro/12zNAM/RAP/HRRR type solution.