• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Elevation accumulation wet snow I80 northward Noon Thursday~ 2AM Saturday

wdrag

553P/12: South of I80 and also all of LI: probably no snow except possibly a short period of wet snow, melting on contact Friday.  

For the interior suburbs, especially elevations nw to ne of NYC,  this could become a problem wet snow impacting power, and for those with heart conditions - safe removal of the water loaded accumulations.   Shovels and plows may be of value in the hilly areas Friday morning,. 

Banding is likely to occur Thursday night-Friday in the northwest sector of the upper low that will enhance precipitation rates in some areas.  EPS 850MB easterly inflow as of the 12z/12 cycle was twice that of the GEFS, Therefore, the ensemble snowfall yield from the GEFS is minimal - under 1" while the attached EPS is considerably more.  It's too early to be overly confident of 6+" of wet snow, in parts of the extreme nw part of the forum, but certainly possible. IF 6" were to occur at 33F, I'd be thinking of power outages by 9AM Friday. Snow water ratio's may be less than the 10 to 1 used by the ensembles. 

It should be noted that the WPC Monday outlook for 3+" of snow is only spotty 10% chance in the Catskills.  I think this is largely based on the GEFS.  Still marginal temps and a breakdown in the 850MB inflow to a weaker GEFS solution would nix the risk of heavier snow.

The bulk of any snow should accumulate during Thursday night, lingering into Friday with possibly a second batch of trailer heavier snowfall in the wraparound band Friday evening, especially CT/MA high terrain.  As the snowfall rates lessen during midday Friday and afternoon, it could change back to rain. 

It is an interesting situation and not unheard of. Even last May 9 we had accumulative snow in some of the suburbs, so I don't think of this as a new normal.  

In summary: Looks interesting for the hilly areas northwest to northeast of NYC. How much and is it worthy of a thread, we'll know in 5 days.  I'll be following the NAM/GFS positive snow depth change... that to me becomes the minimum to look for, once it is consistently established from cycle to cycle. And of course, Kuchera and NWS products.

Small chance gusty winds 40-45KT e LI Friday?. Meanwhile, LI/CT/se NYS, ne PA should pick up a general melted combined rain/snow of 1-2", iso 3"? 

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 5.07.45 PM.png

• Like 3

• Rjay pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, sferic said:

Today and tonight's runs will definitely be more telling. Wobbling is part of it and we are 60 hours out

From purely examining what has emerged today I think we should still be fine to see 2-4/3-6 with up to 8 or even more at elevations. The Berkshires are emerging as the potential crush zone in this

56 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

geez,,,,supposed to drive up to Buffalo on Friday morning and drive back Saturday and just looked at this,,,,okay time to pay more attention to the model runs. You guys keep the updates coming as some of us have a vested interest

go west  through PA and then north to Buffalo...should be just rain that way...

In all seriousness I could see there being snow in the air for most of us and some accumulation in hilly areas away from the coast but the real accums away from the Berkshires or well elevated spots over 500’ are a big stretch to me at this point. Like Don said though it’s not impossible for there to be more in an ideal setup. That is one deep closed low coming. 

29 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

In all seriousness I could see there being snow in the air for most of us and some accumulation in hilly areas away from the coast but the real accums away from the Berkshires or well elevated spots over 500’ are a big stretch to me at this point. Like Don said though it’s not impossible for there to be more in an ideal setup. That is one deep closed low coming. 

I suspect the focus will be the Berkshires with much less away from there. The ECMWF seems reasonable for these late-season elevation-favored events.

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I suspect the focus will be the Berkshires with much less away from there. The ECMWF seems reasonable for these late-season elevation-favored events.

the moment I saw that NAM run I fully committed to the idea that the Euro has the right idea with this whole thing, and that the Berkshires are set up to get pummeled on this one. Not like many of us will see the flakes fly anyway, even for those of us N&W of the city who could squeak in 1-3" if we get absolutely lucky. N&E of the City is where one needs to be here.

• Like 1