Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Spring/ Summer Mountains thread

Met1985

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yes this was definitely flash flooding.  I've never seen anything like this. 

Same. Places I was working after lunch were under water just like that.  I’m fortunate I had a truck issue and had to go to the Toyota dealership or I would have most likely been caught up in it.  Praying for safe outcomes.

• Like 1

...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR CITIES OF CANTON AND CLYDE AND PIGEON 
RIVER VALLEY TO LAKE WATERVILLE...

The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Central Haywood County in western North Carolina...

* Until 215 AM EDT.

* At 830 PM EDT, Significant rainfall totaling 4-7 inches has been 
  observed across Haywood County, especially in the Pigeon River 
  headwaters south of Canton.  This is producing a significant and 
  life-threatening flood wave moving down the Pigeon River through 
  Canton, Clyde, and into Lake Waterville.

Haywood County Emergency Management is requesting residents near the 
Pigeon River, including in the cities of Canton and Clyde, to 
evacuate to higher ground immediately.  Evacuees are being asked to 
shelter at Tuscola High School.

This is a FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY for Cities of Canton and Clyde and 
  Pigeon River Valley to Lake Waterville. This is a PARTICULARLY 
  DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

• Like 1

These reports out of SW NC are just insane. We've had off and on rain all day, and the heavy line just went through, but these totals and pictures are epic. So much loss of property but hopefully not lives. Thanks for all the updates and documentation of the event, mountain folk.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Absolutely unreal Met, my mind can’t fathom that I was on “dry” land there at 1-2 pm only for it to be completely underwater in a matter of hours and then on into the night.  I hope they got the goats and chickens out from behind the hardware shop on the banks of the river.  I’ve enjoyed watching them when walking by on the greenway the last few weeks in the evenings. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Absolutely unreal Met, my mind can’t fathom that I was on “dry” land there at 1-2 pm only for it to be completely underwater in a matter of hours and then on into the night.  I hope they got the goats and chickens out from behind the hardware shop on the banks of the river.  I’ve enjoyed watching them when walking by on the greenway the last few weeks in the evenings. 

Yeah he made a post earlier saying they got everything out I believe.  Yes the water rose swift and fast through here. This really is unbelievable and heartbreaking for so many. Today has been crazy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah he made a post earlier saying they got everything out I believe.  Yes the water rose swift and fast through here. This really is unbelievable and heartbreaking for so many. Today has been crazy.

Good to know. Crazy is apt, I’ve experienced some crazy weather this summer between today, a hailstorm above 10k feet in the Rockies a couple weeks ago and the tropical storm over the 4th ag the beach.  We definitely don’t need another tropical system up here anytime soon.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

Highest official total so far is out Lake Toxaway at 17.36" (CoCoRaHS)

Cruso FD picked up 14.17"; 5.28" in just 3 hrs Tuesday (9" for the day), which is the cause of the flash flood down East Fork and into Canton

E9Fdb2oWEAQ0Drl.png

Amazing storm totals for around the area. You can see were that line ran for the heaviest rainfall totals. 

1 hour ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

Highest official total so far is out Lake Toxaway at 17.36" (CoCoRaHS)

Cruso FD picked up 14.17"; 5.28" in just 3 hrs Tuesday (9" for the day), which is the cause of the flash flood down East Fork and into Canton

E9Fdb2oWEAQ0Drl.png

That’s a lot or water. I’ve heard reports of up to 23” 3 miles southwest of rosman. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

Seeing reports of 30 folks unaccounted for in Haywood County. Very disturbing and sad news for our area.

Yeah up in the bethel Cruso area. The river has all but destroyed 276 along the river. Several communities are being difficult to get to because bridges have been washed out. 

• jburns unpinned this topic