• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Spring/ Summer Mountains thread

Met1985

I’m sorry,  I have no ability to gauge wind speed/gusts outside of Boone, but last night and tonight off poplar grove area above the campground has been crazy with the gusts. In the 10 years I’ve been in this spot, these are the most long lived winds. I’m not a local, so I’m sure these winds aren’t notable but dang.

Also, I made sure to watch in person from 421, the  procession come into Boone this afternoon from WS. I don’t know when I’ve been as sad and more proud to see people come out to support their community. I lost count of the different counties/ towns/ college police, etc.  I don’t know if any of the mountain people from this area are on here but a huge thank you and hugs if you are law enforcement or if they are your family. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, landof2rivers said:

I’m sorry,  I have no ability to gauge wind speed/gusts outside of Boone, but last night and tonight off poplar grove area above the campground has been crazy with the gusts. In the 10 years I’ve been in this spot, these are the most long lived winds. I’m not a local, so I’m sure these winds aren’t notable but dang.

Boone can be a very windy place. Way back, I won’t even tell you how far back, when I was at App St I lived at the west end of town and had to walk back home after a night event at school. I smoked back then. It was cold as shit and the wind was roaring. I managed to light a cigarette against the doorway of the movie theater and started walking directly into the wind up King St. It was so cold and windy that the tobacco burned inside the paper of the cigarette but the paper only had some small holes in it. I’d never seen that before or since. 

4 hours ago, wncsnow said:

We may not crack 80 again until June at this rate 

The -NAO seems to be the most consistent in the spring.  Last year per Mountain Thread records; I think the last high elevation snow was on or about May 9.

• Like 1

Avery-Madison-Yancey-Mitchell-Haywood-Buncombe-
Including the cities of Ingalls, Banner Elk, Newland, Faust,
Mars Hill, Marshall, Walnut, Allenstand, Hot Springs, Luck,
Swiss, Burnsville, Celo, Micaville, Ramseytown, Busick,
Spruce Pine, Poplar, Waynesville, Waterville, Canton, Cruso,
Cove Creek, and Asheville
249 PM EDT Wed May 12 2021

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT
THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 36 will result in frost
  formation.

* WHERE...Avery, Madison, Yancey, Mitchell, Haywood and Buncombe
  Counties.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 8 AM EDT Thursday.

* IMPACTS...Frost could kill sensitive outdoor vegetation if left
  uncovered.

I came back home for a week to manage some renovations and was reminded why I hate the mountains in the spring. Cold, wet, damp, windy, foggy, cloudy, dark, gloomy, sloppy, miserable, etc, etc, etc. I remember as a kid thinking when it was March that we had another 2 to 3 months of horrible weather. Granted, I'm one that loves snow but not so much cold and dreary. It hasn't been a particularly warm spring on the coast but at least you can go outside without a sweatshirt, jacket, umbrella, boots, etc.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

I came back home for a week to manage some renovations and was reminded why I hate the mountains in the spring. Cold, wet, damp, windy, foggy, cloudy, dark, gloomy, sloppy, miserable, etc, etc, etc. I remember as a kid thinking when it was March that we had another 2 to 3 months of horrible weather. Granted, I'm one that loves snow but not so much cold and dreary. It hasn't been a particularly warm spring on the coast but at least you can go outside without a sweatshirt, jacket, umbrella, boots, etc.

I have a dream of hanging out on the deck wearing shorts and a tshirt.  2nd consecutive  year  with chilly windy weather lingering well into May; I have to say its wearing on me a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I'm going fishing Saturday morning (7-NOONISH) up to South Toe river in Yancey County. I know that's a long trip for many of you but if you want to join me send me a message and we can meet up! 

Where at exactly? I was thinking of going to my spot across from Rusty's Roost and wade out Saturday Morning.

I was told NC wildlife just stocked muskies through there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• jburns unpinned this topic