• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

yoda

Recording these for the crafty brew lovers out there. Grabbed each of these in a four-pack on a Costco run last week.

I was really looking forward to trying the Old Bust Head stout and it was...interesting. And not in a necessarily good way. I think there's a little too much going on for me to truly fall in love with it -- for my taste buds, I'd keep either the caramel macchiato OR the orange vanilla in the stout presentation, but probably NOT mash all four together. I'll "hate-drink" the last three cans of it, but won't buy again. (BTW, this impression does not apply generally to OBH's stouts -- we've had several from there in recent years and they are generally top notch.)

The Adroit Theory hazy IPA was perfection, as their IPAs usually are -- phenomenally good. Perhaps I'll hide the rest of the Adroit Theory's and let Mrs. V work on the rest of those Old Bust Head stouts.. :D  While it's not necessarily convenient for all in the sub, if you have the chance to visit the mothership locations for OBH (in Vint Hill) or Adroit Theory (in Purcellville), I strongly recommend that you do -- each brewery keeps an outstanding selection of fresh/interesting taps at all times.

PXL_20210502_000928571.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.ff349a7fcd26e8795f7fdeaa9e2f2e24.jpgPXL_20210502_210958371.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.24de8c6b0325654cb77635caf5fab94e.jpg 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Recording these for the crafty brew lovers out there. Grabbed each of these in a four-pack on a Costco run last week.

I was really looking forward to trying the Old Bust Head stout and it was...interesting. And not in a necessarily good way. I think there's a little too much going on for me to truly fall in love with it -- for my taste buds, I'd keep either the caramel macchiato OR the orange vanilla in the stout presentation, but probably NOT mash all four together. I'll "hate-drink" the last three cans of it, but won't buy again. (BTW, this impression does not apply generally to OBH's stouts -- we've had several from there in recent years and they are generally top notch.)

The Adroit Theory hazy IPA was perfection, as their IPAs usually are -- phenomenally good. Perhaps I'll hide the rest of the Adroit Theory's and let Mrs. V work on the rest of those Old Bust Head stouts.. :D  While it's not necessarily convenient for all in the sub, if you have the chance to visit the mothership locations for OBH (in Vint Hill) or Adroit Theory (in Purcellville), I strongly recommend that you do -- each brewery keeps an outstanding selection of fresh/interesting taps at all times.

PXL_20210502_000928571.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.ff349a7fcd26e8795f7fdeaa9e2f2e24.jpgPXL_20210502_210958371.PORTRAITa.thumb.jpg.24de8c6b0325654cb77635caf5fab94e.jpg 

they make drains for a reason, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Hmmm..I know you said it wasnt very good but Id love to try that stout...what was the ABV?  If it wasnt that good, my guess is it probably has relatively low ABV...maybe under 8%? They probably need to up the adjjuncts and booze for the flavors to really hit. Let me know what the ABV is if you remember

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with putting orange in a stout. NTY.

The flavor combos are defintely weird but I looked it up...the problem with the beer is its only 5.6%. IMO you just cant create a flavorful complex stout with that low of ABV...its basically a weird tasting irish stout lol. Have to have it be an imperial at or over 10% or at least barrel age it to bring out the flavors and complexity

5 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

The flavor combos are defintely weird but I looked it up...the problem with the beer is its only 5.6%. IMO you just cant create a flavorful complex stout with that low of ABV...its basically a weird tasting irish stout lol. Have to have it be an imperial at or over 10% or at least barrel age it to bring out the flavors and complexity

Yeah I simply wont bother with a stout that is under 8% generally. Its gotta be BIG- high abv and roasty/malty. Not at all a milk stout fan, other than the rare imperial ones.

• Like 2

Had this awesomeness yesterday. Ocelot really kills it. Also—side note—if anyone is on the app Untappd and is interested, they can read all my beer reviews (over 4100 now). Friend request me “scraff” (imagine that) lol. Cheers!

01D44E3D-B668-4AE7-9754-F43D9D32C2C2.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Yeah I simply wont bother with a stout that is under 8% generally. Its gotta be BIG- high abv and roasty/malty. Not at all a milk stout fan, other than the rare imperial ones.

I generally agree. Im not saying you cant make a decent stout with low ABV, but you gotta keep it simple...Theres a few peanut butter stouts out there that are decent that are under 7% ABV but its just peanut butter stout, simple. But I agree, generally the higher the abv the better, and that one you are drinking now, does look tasty

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I generally agree. Im not saying you cant make a decent stout with low ABV, but you gotta keep it simple...Theres a few peanut butter stouts out there that are decent that are under 7% ABV but its just peanut butter stout, simple. But I agree, generally the higher the abv the better, and that one you are drinking now, does look tasty

It went down easy and fast. Very good. 3 more to go, lol. Not tonight. I will buy this again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Ill have to look out for it....Theres so much damn product to chose from now though lol. Its pretty wild

Did you manage to stop at DFH when you were at the beach? The bourbon barrel aged WWS is second to none imo. I would take it every time over GI BCBS and many other similar BBA stouts.

Looking forward to the Utopias version this Fall.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Did you manage to stop at DFH when you were at the beach? The bourbon barrel aged WWS is second to none imo. I would take it every time over GI BCBS and many other similar BBA stouts.

Looking forward to the Utopias version this Fall.

Nah. just not enough time in the weekend lol not to mention I was either feeling hungover Saturday or some vaccine shot effects. Ill be down several times this summer though so ill make an effort to get up there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Hmmm..I know you said it wasnt very good but Id love to try that stout...what was the ABV?  If it wasnt that good, my guess is it probably has relatively low ABV...maybe under 8%? They probably need to up the adjjuncts and booze for the flavors to really hit. Let me know what the ABV is if you remember

You're way ahead of me, and spot-on guess in advance...5.7% ABV. And I like your proposition to improve this blend.  :) 

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

There is something fundamentally wrong with putting orange in a stout. NTY.

I would generally agree with you, although that didn't temper my excitement to try this. Again, it was sort of like a trippy flavor rave going on inside my mouth. Not horrible....not great. First time I tried a beer in many years that made me screw my face up once upon that first sip!

2 hours ago, Scraff said:

Had this awesomeness yesterday. Ocelot really kills it. Also—side note—if anyone is on the app Untappd and is interested, they can read all my beer reviews (over 4100 now). Friend request me “scraff” (imagine that) lol. Cheers!

Agree 500% -- Ocelot is always effing amazing! We visited their mothership location a couple weeks ago, always great stuff.

• Like 2

Still one of my favorite things to do on the smoker.  Whole chicken, brined in salt/sugar water then covered in butter with spices that are almost Peruvian like.  Fried plantains and rice on the side.

0EEBF6E6-8C26-449C-957B-3D25812B5B8E.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, LP08 said:

Still one of my favorite things to do on the smoker.  Whole chicken, brined in salt/sugar water then covered in butter with spices that are almost Peruvian like.  Fried plantains and rice on the side.

0EEBF6E6-8C26-449C-957B-3D25812B5B8E.jpeg

that looks good...what spices were in the rub and what type of wood did you use and what temp did you run and how long was the cook?

may have other questions later

16 minutes ago, MacChump said:

that looks good...what spices were in the rub and what type of wood did you use and what temp did you run and how long was the cook?

may have other questions later

Black pepper, salt, paprika, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion powder and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I didn't use any wood this time but the bird drippings provide plenty of smoke without it(family complains it gets too smoky) so its just charcoal at 275-300 for 3 hours.  Think the key is to pat the bird down with a paper towel then coat the whole thing in butter.  It's kind of a mix flavor between a greek style versus Peruvian but we went with plantains and rice instead of Taziki and hummus this go 'round.

I use Hardwood Hickory Lump charcoal.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Black pepper, salt, paprika, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion powder and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I didn't use any wood this time but the bird drippings provide plenty of smoke without it(family complains it gets too smoky) so its just charcoal at 275-300 for 3 hours.  Think the key is to pat the bird down with a paper towel then coat the whole thing in butter.  It's kind of a mix flavor between a greek style versus Peruvian but we went with plantains and rice instead of Taziki and hummus this go 'round.

I use Hardwood Hickory Lump charcoal.  

thanks, sounds great! the cinnamon is a surprise, may have to try that some time

7 minutes ago, MacChump said:

thanks, sounds great! the cinnamon is a surprise, may have to try that some time

It mixes well when you use thyme, oregano, parsely, basil when you really want to get a good Greek flavor.  Not on the smoker, but I cut chicken breasts into strips, grill them, then chop and toss them in the skillet with olive oil and the mix and it makes a mean Greek flavored chicken.  Get some good NAAN with the taziki, hummus, cucumbers and tomatoes and its a crowd pleaser.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LP08 said:

It mixes well when you use thyme, oregano, parsely, basil when you really want to get a good Greek flavor.  Not on the smoker, but I cut chicken breasts into strips, grill them, then chop and toss them in the skillet with olive oil and the mix and it makes a mean Greek flavored chicken.  Get some good NAAN with the taziki, hummus, cucumbers and tomatoes and its a crowd pleaser.

I use cinnamon quite a bit in my rubs and a lot of seasonings.  Its all personal preference, obviously.  I think it really adds another dimension to the flavor of beef especially.  That chicken looks awesome!  Ive been on a spatchcock chicken kick here recently on charcoal the grill....   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

I use cinnamon quite a bit in my rubs and a lot of seasonings.  Its all personal preference, obviously.  I think it really adds another dimension to the flavor of beef especially.  That chicken looks awesome!  Ive been on a spatchcock chicken kick here recently on charcoal the grill....   

I spatchcock my chickens, as well. Run them at 425 direct in the dome on my BGE for about 45 minutes, then place a pan underneath to finish indirect.

Every once in a while, I’ll break down a chicken and cook the pieces, but I’ve found that spatchcock is a phenomenal way to go with birds.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, poolz1 said:

13 hours ago, mattie g said:

I spatchcock my chickens, as well. Run them at 425 direct in the dome on my BGE for about 45 minutes, then place a pan underneath to finish indirect.

Every once in a while, I’ll break down a chicken and cook the pieces, but I’ve found that spatchcock is a phenomenal way to go with birds.

yeah spatchcocking is the shit...love the spatchcock...couple years ago I picked up a small turkey on sale like the day after thanksgiving and spatchcocked the hell out of it 

edited to add: i forgot until i really looked at this picture again how deformed this turkey was, one breast was like triple the size of the other :shrug:

26C6A904-568D-461F-AD22-C0B1E192DE6D.jpeg

• Haha 1

• yoda changed the title to The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread