Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

yoda

12 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

That too. Similar to the difference between a baking stone and steel I guess.

Sort of like a heat sink(typically made of aluminum), with the raised rails acting like the fins. In addition to the radiant heat transfer, there is also convection occurring as well.

Been a while since I’ve been in here. Had a 24 hour pass for Richmond, VA this past week. 5 breweries, 2 days. I got my fill for sure. Can’t miss spots include Triple Crossing, Veil, and the Answer. Ardent was great too, but not nearly as trendy. Fredericksburg has Red Dragon Brewing—absolutely a must stop for my fellow beer nerds. B)

• Like 5

On 7/10/2021 at 7:53 PM, understudyhero said:

That is similar to the Char Broiler Infrared Gas Grill setup I had a few years ago.

It's all radiant heat so it should be more even as well.

I have had 2 of the Char Broil "infrared" grills over the past 16 years.  I have not burned any food at all with either of them.  THe pnly problem is keeping them clean.  you really need to break them down after each use, which can be a pain.

14 hours ago, Scraff said:

Been a while since I’ve been in here. Had a 24 hour pass for Richmond, VA this past week. 5 breweries, 2 days. I got my fill for sure. Can’t miss spots include Triple Crossing, Veil, and the Answer. Ardent was great too, but not nearly as trendy. Fredericksburg has Red Dragon Brewing—absolutely a must stop for my fellow beer nerds. B)

Sounds like an awesome whirlwind day!

I've been to each of those but Ardent. I'm a big fan of TC, but hitting The Answer is cool because they still don't can their beers (and they're damn good).

I've had a couple Red Dragon crowlers...damn good, as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going to be a bit of a long post, but plenty of great food and beverage pics. Wife and I went to Austin last weekend with her friend of 26 years surprising her (All set up) to join us for the food and wine festivities.

We’ll start with our first spot at SLAB BBQ & Beer in north Austin. The food was spectacular, especially the brisket nachos which we devoured.

813dab7e453de80066787d94895d025a.jpg

88b931a22c2f47bcf71ef17dab9387db.jpg

I had their award winning rib sandwich and the wife had the OG Texas Brisket sandwich. Both very good.

Next on the trip for great food ended up being Waffle House, followed by a 3 winery tour where the girls put down basically 16 shots or double shots of wine lol. They were feeling great! Vineyards were beautiful. This one was my favorite in Fredericksburg called Grape Creek Vineyards. In all, we came home with 6 bottles of the good stuff.

dceb752fdb2fcad781a61a0eccf29e13.jpg

Picture of their separate Sparkling Wine Tasting area on the premises. Was a great experience.

Next up, the dinner at Perry’s Steakhouse in Center City Austin. 5 star all around. This was out of this world.

0324b3a399a87cf42c3800503ff5b0f2.jpg

View of the dining room we were seated. Now for the food and drink!

First up, appetizers!!

b6ee8814f78586f2dc47fb1f8240e44d.jpg

The bottom was the Perry’s Famous pork chop bites. A delicate, semi-sweet BBQ sauce with homemade applesauce on the base. The chops were outstanding. I need to get the full pork chop dinner, which they are famous for next time. The top is a Fried Asparagus with a hollandaise sauce type, topped with chunks of lump blue crab. Need I say more? Incredible start.

31a6d3a4aa2861387d1721c9104d3ba0.jpg

My drink for the night was a tasty Pineapple and mango cocktail that included two top shelf combos of rum and vodka. The orange in the middle provided a nice citrus sweet to balance it all out. Was refreshing.

1a54db4bafc3be99b4ad424da2480ffb.jpg

This was a heavy pour of Dom 2018 which of course was outstanding. I love a good champagne. This was a pallet cleanser.

2fdb8a959e8a2b791801ea2a01e475f3.jpg

We all got the filet with Perry’s own finishing butter. It was outstanding. Wife here in the photo got hers with a lobster tail and drawn butter. It was grilled and had that perfect texture off the grill. Coupled with the butter, she said it was fantastic.

b4ef23525748cfbfb6ab361795a7618e.jpg

Her friend and I also split these beauties. Giant King crab legs with a drawn garlic and herb butter for dipping. The presentation was awesome, but the taste was even better. Actually the best king crab I’ve ever eaten. I could’ve eaten several pounds of that by itself lol

5c2b79b9ef3ec7a1498dc63a4356790d.jpg

Now for the appetizers. A quadruple fix for a king and queen. A roasted cream corn on the bottom left, truffle Parm steak fries on the bottom right, a steamed broccoli in a butter sauce at the top center, and a King crab Mac at the top left. All of them otherworldly. I would do unspeakable things for that mac n cheese again.

Of course, there’s dessert!!

8dd666a7f04c34c0f970b89783746a2e.jpg

This was mine. A Bananas Foster made in front of me, including the beautiful flambé and all. This might have been one of the best bites of the whole weekend. Loved it. I didn’t get a picture of the other desserts. Wife had a Bday trio of a small Creme brûlée, chocolate gnache, and orange marmalade cheesecake. Her friend had a huge Creme brûlée. Nothing was left, of course.

Now for Sunday’s brunch!

Went to a place called Carve American Grille. Unbeknownst to me, it is also owned by Perry’s, so this was going to be awesome, which it delivered.

e39a5b4a41c81144be780cf9e564207d.jpg

Fresh fruit, a carafe of a peach mimosa in this picture. Below is a duo of Filet Benedict’s that I actually need get myself next time we go. It looked spectacular and was confirmed by both my wife and her friend. Also, we have the Truffle Parm steak fries again, cuz why not!!

15c3ff1ec753ad64ce53136abbd92cc4.jpg

I had a French Dip style steak sandwich topped with a fried egg, served with a side of au jus and crispy onion strings. That au jus was ridiculously good.

d20c64eb5d9efabd5f2162dbbdc30c3f.jpg

For dessert, because of course there was….

48fb750f9eb3c96a2c27318c541fcf2a.jpg

A trio of deconstructed banana cream pie, chocolate mousse, and butterscotch bonino. We got a little more banana cream pie ones too cuz it that freakin good. Superb

3a0e8b83de994f816f0319ef0de4027e.jpg

Oh, we also kept drinking at Deep Eddy’s distillery after we were done. Man, it was a great way to cap off a phenomenal weekend of eating and drinking. We finished with authentic Mexican enchiladas that day, but I never took a picture. Whoopsie!

We had a blast and I highly recommend visiting Austin if you’re a food lover. It is the cream of the crop for Texas. We will 100% be back to try more places. Until then, we will reminisce on this adventure until next time!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

have y'all stopped cooking?

last week I saw an interesting recipe for a tomato tart that i decided to make but without a crust since I wanted something easy. the bottom layer is smooth dijon mustard, shredded or shaved hard cheese (here shredded parmesan since I didn't have a whole piece on hand to shave), and a paste of basil/garlic/olive oil. it smelled incredible as it was cooking, too.

Looks fantastic...we are overloaded with tomatoes right now and Ive run out of ideas.  Will certainly give this a try.  The dijon probably gives that a nice kick... I am curious how it would taste if the same layers were placed on a toasted baguette?

5 hours ago, wxtrix said:

have y'all stopped cooking?

last week I saw an interesting recipe for a tomato tart that i decided to make but without a crust since I wanted something easy. the bottom layer is smooth dijon mustard, shredded or shaved hard cheese (here shredded parmesan since I didn't have a whole piece on hand to shave), and a paste of basil/garlic/olive oil. it smelled incredible as it was cooking, too.

roasted tomatoes 1.jpg

roasted tomatoes 2.jpg

roasted tomatoes 3.jpg

That looks great how was it? 

Dinner tonight Chicken cutlets with peas and mushrooms over garlic mashed potatoes. 74984647-B91C-4007-9EC5-FB33BBB020F5.thumb.jpeg.cbf034b814da2441f9bc9f174e23c9d7.jpeg

• Like 4

Big thanks to @wxtrix for the inspiration.  Probably went a little heavier on the parm and went with two layers of tomatoes.  Basil flowers for garnish...outstanding dish!  The whole family really enjoyed it.  

Served with grilled marinated beef, onions, peppers and zucchini skewers along with grilled rosemary potatoes.  All veggies and herbs from the garden....minus the garlic.

Resized_20210810_192402002.thumb.jpeg.c1de21db8356d1e58760f1c71564d0e9.jpeg

Resized_20210810_193313001.thumb.jpeg.37b10dcefaff1b44ae542d17d3b3e028.jpeg

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

the first part of dinner on this 100F (literally) degree day:  heirloom tomatoes, avocado, and onion in a red wine garlic basil vinaigrette.

187A758E-8F87-4A94-A1B7-8AA6386DECA4.jpeg

Lol. We are overflowing with tomatoes as well and I made this pretty much exact salad tonight but with some garlic expressions vinaigrette…

5 hours ago, yoda said:

@MillvilleWx

That looks great... probably spent a couple thousand for that delicious food lol

I actually came well within the budget I set. The dinner at Perry's was the most expensive, by far, but her best friend actually picked up the brunch the next day, so not too bad. All in all, it was a success and absolutely outstanding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, wxtrix said:

since it's been in the 60s now (heavenly), I made some satay sauce from scratch. so tonight's dinner is chicken satay with riced cauliflower and broccoli roasted with sriracha.

satay2.jpg

Do you do your own cauliflower rice or buy it. I tried one time to make a cauliflower pizza crust and did not get all the liquid out. Did not end well. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Revival for the holidays!

8 Loaves of cinnamon swirl bread baked yesterday.  Glazed orange rolls tomorrow.  Standing rib roast Christmas day.  My favorite cooking time of year.

Tonight...spatchcock chicken in the oven.  Broccoli, cabbage and herbs picked from the hoop house this evening.

IMG-3944.thumb.jpg.7e744c427f4e7177723021dcf3884167.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Revival for the holidays!

8 Loaves of cinnamon swirl bread baked yesterday.  Glazed orange rolls tomorrow.  Standing rib roast Christmas day.  My favorite cooking time of year.

Tonight...spatchcock chicken in the oven.  Broccoli, cabbage and herbs picked from the hoop house this evening.

IMG-3944.thumb.jpg.7e744c427f4e7177723021dcf3884167.jpg

That's it. I'm coming over :popcorn:

• Haha 1

@wxtrix Beautiful!  That caldo verde looks delicious.  Kale is tough (in more ways than one) but in a soup with a salted meat you can't go wrong.

My first batch of 4 loaves... Nothing overly complicated.  A sweet bread, jelly roll style with cinnamon and sugar.  A family tradition taught to me by my mom.

IMG-3938.thumb.jpg.2ad45c0290fabd513b221c1e61e9dbcd.jpg

IMG-3940.thumb.jpg.6c23b2285d8469ed9efdeed159623b8a.jpg

• Like 4

• yoda changed the title to The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread