• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

yoda

Love seeing all the food posts in here. It all looks excellent yall. Ive been trying to eat better and more "clean" for several months now but you can still have some pretty good meals that are relatively healthy as by example in this topic.  That said, vegan chicken is NOT good lol...had it for lunch today, it basically tastes and feels like chewing rubber. I can do the beyond/impossible burgers and some vegan pork bbq, but the chicken is a no go for me!  I only had it btw because my GF bought it yet she wont eat it so itll go to waste so why she buys it ill never know:lol: Back to regular cluckers it is

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Love seeing all the food posts in here. It all looks excellent yall. Ive been trying to eat better and more "clean" for several months now but you can still have some pretty good meals that are relatively healthy as by example in this topic.  That said, vegan chicken is NOT good lol...had it for lunch today, it basically tastes and feels like chewing rubber. I can do the beyond/impossible burgers and some vegan pork bbq, but the chicken is a no go for me!  I only had it btw because my GF bought it yet she wont eat it so itll go to waste so why she buys it ill never know:lol: Back to regular cluckers it is

I've heard some good feedback on the Impossible burgers. Doesn't Burger King offer one? I've been meaning to try it, but I need to go like a whole DAY without eating before tackling a Whopper anymore.  :) 

19 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I've heard some good feedback on the Impossible burgers. Doesn't Burger King offer one? I've been meaning to try it, but I need to go like a whole DAY without eating before tackling a Whopper anymore.  :) 

They do and its ok, but we prefer buying ones at the market (Sprouts market to be specific) and season it up ourselves and put different toppings on it. The other day we had them with desert heat seasoning, tomato, avocado and mayo and chili ketchup

• Like 1

Had a little trip to Tampa with the wife and had some really good food while we were there. I’ll post a few of my fav from the trip

d28a6dfc1ef45f3f6316c7f6959b0b04.jpg

Ribeye Oscar from Del Frisco’s Grille

0c2e7ba06c5b0a5c4d73c9292281aa10.jpg

Tacos Barria from Rocco’s Tacos & Tequila

8741b37712875c9e13e1df68b719ad29.jpg

Chicken and Waffles with strawberry compound butter from Metro Diner

The last one was my favorite bite of the whole trip. The chicken was absolutely dynamite. Best fried chicken I’ve had from a non-fast food spot. I’ll have to remember to take pictures of food I cook next time. I keep forgetting. Keep posting the wonderful food y’all

• Like 10

Its been over a year since this house has been a bachelor pad for a night.  Found thawed ground beef in the fridge along with 2 beers, leftover ciabatta on the counter, a fresh bag of regular UTZ in the pantry.....  Added a slice of provolone, onions, LT&M and ketchup with a side pickle.  Ground beef courtesy of Frederick CO. 4H.  Purchased last fall after the Great Fred Fair.

ilwlP1V.jpg

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Its been over a year since this house has been a bachelor pad for a night.  Found thawed ground beef in the fridge along with 2 beers, leftover ciabatta on the counter, a fresh bag of regular UTZ in the pantry.....  Added a slice of provolone, onions, LT&M and ketchup with a side pickle.  Ground beef courtesy of Frederick CO. 4H.  Purchased last fall after the Great Fred Fair.

ilwlP1V.jpg

mad props, what a breakfast

On 5/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, MacChump said:

thanks, sounds great! the cinnamon is a surprise, may have to try that some time

On 5/5/2021 at 1:26 PM, LP08 said:

It mixes well when you use thyme, oregano, parsely, basil when you really want to get a good Greek flavor.  Not on the smoker, but I cut chicken breasts into strips, grill them, then chop and toss them in the skillet with olive oil and the mix and it makes a mean Greek flavored chicken.  Get some good NAAN with the taziki, hummus, cucumbers and tomatoes and its a crowd pleaser.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, poolz1 said:

I use cinnamon quite a bit in my rubs and a lot of seasonings.  Its all personal preference, obviously.  I think it really adds another dimension to the flavor of beef especially.  That chicken looks awesome!  Ive been on a spatchcock chicken kick here recently on charcoal the grill....   

Cinnamon is a hidden gem when it comes to rubs and spice mixes. It is used mostly in Mediterranean but I have used it in Spanish and Mexican spice rubs as well. Making a quiche… put in some Nutmeg. Elevates the overall taste.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Cinnamon is a hidden gem when it comes to rubs and spice mixes. It is used mostly in Mediterranean but I have used it in Spanish and Mexican spice rubs as well. Making a quiche… put in some Nutmeg. Elevates the overall taste.  

That shrimp and broccoli....wow!

Agreed. Especially in Spanish and Mexican dishes.  One of my favorites is pork tacos from leftover pulled pork.  Cook in the cast iron, constantly deglazing, adding spices, squeezing lime juice.  Pork get crispy and so flavorful...the cinnamon works well with it.  Crispy pork tacos are one of my favorites and I am usually forcing myself to stop eating.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

That shrimp and broccoli....wow!

Agreed. Especially in Spanish and Mexican dishes.  One of my favorites is pork tacos from leftover pulled pork.  Cook in the cast iron, constantly deglazing, adding spices, squeezing lime juice.  Pork get crispy and so flavorful...the cinnamon works well with it.  Crispy pork tacos are one of my favorites and I am usually forcing myself to stop eating.

One other secret I do is put chili powder into chocolate cookies. Elevates the flavor. 

• Like 1

Because of the originally forecasted cool-ish, semi-washout yesterday (which, of course, failed to materialize...thanks, NWS!), Mrs. V asked if we could stay in for Mothers Day and if I'd instead make brunch for her and the youngest offspring living in Arlington. I obliged -- whipped up a batch of Betty Crocker's morning crowd pleaser, Impossibly Easy Breakfast Bake, and then picked up on Saturday a fresh loaf of Great Harvest Bread's Xtreme Cinnamon Swirl bread to make her personal fave, French toast. Oh, and maybe a mimosa (or two).  :)  She never wants to eat "heavier" stuff like this, so I was happy to make it for her...and because she's an awesome mom, too.

PXL_20210509_150503381-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.c6aeb5a91e656caebf83d2bbc42567b9.jpg

PXL_20210509_164739076-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.c479bca7fde9b4106614d56fe119ab48.jpg

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Older Miss J had dance recital rehearsal last night so went for an super easy dinner. 
Herb rubbed split chicken breasts with a cucumber and tomato feta salad. 

YUMMO!  Cuke/Mater/Feta salad is one of my summertime favorites...so easy, and it tastes sort of refreshing after a hot day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Got a recipe?

Actually threw this one together.

4 split chicken breasts.

1 TBSP each of dried rosemary, oregano, basil, and course salt. 1tsp garlic powder and onion powder and a healthy pinch of pepper. Mix together the spices. Coat chicken with olive oil then toss with herb mix. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast at 425 for 40-50 min. 

For salad cut up cucumbers cherry tomatoes put in feta and I used Greek dressing but have just used Balsamic Vinegar in the past. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • yoda changed the title to The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread