Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

yoda

6 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Sounds like a good stout...let us know how it is, and what the ABV is out of curioisity. I will likely stop at Ten Eyck on the way to the beach in about 2 hours here...supposedly they have a chocolate cherry beer on tap

It was fantastic. Really thick, not overly sweet nor oaky, and incredibly well balanced. Honestly one of the best Aslin stouts I’ve ever had, which is saying a lot given the quality of their stout/barrel program.

They say it’s 10%, but I think that’s the ABV of their base stout; though as stouts age in barrels, like spirits, their ABV tends to increase.

• Like 1

Thinking of trying a new spot next Friday when I'm off of mid-shifts. I'm debating whether to do something in town, or try a spot in Odessa. Until then, just some light eating for me. Mids destroy my appetite. :( 

Would you guys want some authentic Mexican to see, or a big juicy steak? 

3 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Ok so the local farm where we have our CSA and get all our plants at also has a micro brewery on site. Anyways they bring in food trucks on Saturday and Sunday's. Tomorrow they are having a new truck called Pop-Up-Poutine :o We may just have to venture down there. I love Poutine as does the older Miss J. :D

I saw that truck at Linganore last weekend, but by the time i got in line, they were sold out. :-(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Thinking of trying a new spot next Friday when I'm off of mid-shifts. I'm debating whether to do something in town, or try a spot in Odessa. Until then, just some light eating for me. Mids destroy my appetite. :( 

Would you guys want some authentic Mexican to see, or a big juicy steak? 

Either, but I'll lean Mex if you are taking votes lol.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, mattie g said:

Meeting my best friend at Aslin Alexandria this afternoon to try the (accidental) 4-year-aged bourbon barrel stout they have on tap. We’ve had a few beers together over the last year (probably hung out 4-5 times outside), but definitely haven’t been to a bar-restaurant. Both of us are fully vaxxed at this point.

Hanging out outside without much worry on a cool spring Friday should be pretty awesome!

So how was Aslin, @mattie g? Mrs. V and I have had it on our list for, like, FOREVER, but still haven't made the just-over-one-mile-trip up Van Dorn Street to actually visit! A hyper-local brewery, and we still haven't hit it. I've read up on their brews numerous times, and it sounds like they typically have a great selection of stuff on hand.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, mattie g said:

Meeting my best friend at Aslin Alexandria this afternoon to try the (accidental) 4-year-aged bourbon barrel stout they have on tap. We’ve had a few beers together over the last year (probably hung out 4-5 times outside), but definitely haven’t been to a bar-restaurant. Both of us are fully vaxxed at this point.

Hanging out outside without much worry on a cool spring Friday should be pretty awesome!

I’ve noticed Aslin has been getting some beers in the local Safeway here recently.  Always been a fan of their stuff.

On 4/17/2021 at 6:36 PM, vastateofmind said:

So how was Aslin, @mattie g? Mrs. V and I have had it on our list for, like, FOREVER, but still haven't made the just-over-one-mile-trip up Van Dorn Street to actually visit! A hyper-local brewery, and we still haven't hit it. I've read up on their brews numerous times, and it sounds like they typically have a great selection of stuff on hand.

It was good to go back, if nothing else!

As an admitted beer geek, Aslin has been the "local" go-to for me and my buddies over the last five years or so, and we're currently members of the Mug Club. Their quality has definitely gone down in the last couple years, though it's still good to very good - just not what it once was. It's definitely worth a trip, but they have a much larger variety outdoors, where they pour from cans only. You can get beers inside, but the tap list is pretty limited.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Fresh salmon grilled on the cedar plank last night...rub some light (or dark, depending on your taste) brown sugar on each filet, top off with Wegmans or any brand cracked pepper seasoning. Grill for 13 minutes on a pre-soaked (for up to half hour) cedar plank. So simple, so good!

Looks great! I've always wondered what the cedar actually contributes, as I've never had cedar-plank salmon. I've been wanting to do it on the BGE for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Looks great! I've always wondered what the cedar actually contributes, as I've never had cedar-plank salmon. I've been wanting to do it on the BGE for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it.

The cedar adds a unique flavor....closest I can come to describing is slightly smoky tasting/smelling, but not overwhelmingly so.

4 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

The cedar adds a unique flavor....closest I can come to describing is slightly smoky tasting/smelling, but not overwhelmingly so.

Agreed,  the cedar plank is my go to for grilling salmon.  Great taste and the soaked plank keeps the thinner parts of the fillet from drying out. Looks delicious!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, wxtrix said:

when i was a kid, salmon came in cans and my mom would make patties and fry it up. I hated them, but i did love the crispy salmon cake crust.I use Nick Stellino's method for pan frying salmon to get a crisp crust on the salmon itself, which takes me back to the good part of those childhood salmon cakes. i served it with with lemon-zested rice, and sauteed squash and onions.

crispy salmon 1.jpg

Me Too!  Nothing like a salmon cake made in a cast iron frying pan. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

So last night had a trio of goodness. Oven Baked Spicy BBQ Chicken Quarters with Alabama white sauce for dipping with corn pudding and Brussels sprouts salad. 

It all looks amazing (as usual), but that corn pudding looks particularly tasty....haven't had that for many years, and it was a staple growing up in northern PA! Is your Brussels sprouts salad a cold or hot presentation? Regardless, I suspect @wxtrix would like that sprouts salad a whole lot...  :) 

19 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

It all looks amazing (as usual), but that corn pudding looks particularly tasty....haven't had that for many years, and it was a staple growing up in northern PA! Is your Brussels sprouts salad a cold or hot presentation? Regardless, I suspect @wxtrix would like that sprouts salad a whole lot...  :) 

It is served at room temp. And have never had corn pudding but as it has no flour only corn starch in it, it is gluten free friendly. 

3 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i would like the recipe for sure!  I actually hate almost every vegetable, but i'm married to someone who loves them, so i cook them in all kinds of ways and he's the happy recipient.

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad

And that salad looks very yummy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i would like the recipe for sure!  I actually hate almost every vegetable, but i'm married to someone who loves them, so i cook them in all kinds of ways and he's the happy recipient.

now that I'm vaccinated and it's safer for me to shop in person, i'm going to make this again--Pati Jinich's mango, tomato, tomatillo, basil and jalapeno salad (after being dressed with the red onion/jalapeno vinaigrette):

recipe:  https://patijinich.com/mango-tomato-tomatillo-basil-and-jalapeno-salad/

WOW, this looks incredible....and TY for linking to the recipe, totally trying this!  :D 

I completely forgot to post this magic of a dinner my wife and I had last Friday for our date night. Better late than never. Anyway, the dining experience was something I couldn’t have dreamed of. They rolled out the red carpet at Bob’s Steak & Chophouse. World class all the way.

33aae780429e4eef813497986b42cd2e.jpg

First course was a Lobster Bisque for myself which was smooth as velvet with huge chunks of lobster in the middle. Fresh cracked pepper was done on top which brought the dish together and added a touch of spice. It was the perfect pairing with my German Riesling that was Devine and had a nice sweet finish to counter the salt and richness of the bisque.

65901d18c2e703869052abd5ce8deeae.jpg

Wife had the crab cake and a homemade remoulade which was def a top tier crab cake as the filling was minimal and reminded me of home on the bite I had. She enjoyed it thoroughly.

aea1f3318de25fa0318de4978743b632.jpg

Dinner for my wife was based in perfection with the essence of cooking only seen in the top tier places in the country. A beautiful 8oz Wagyu Filet Medium-Rare served with skillet potatoes and a peppercorn onion gravy, along with a giant glazed carrot that I think I fell in love with by accident. The meat was from Snake River Farms, a world class cattle ranch in the US that supplies top tier American Wagyu. Exquisite, especially my wife on her first bite had an out of body experience for a second haha

2d5fffb02f16609e0f3db61afa02a646.jpg

My dinner was a king feast of prime 32oz Tomahawk style ribeye that was both appealing to the eyes, as well as my taste buds. Medium-rare perfection with rendered fat all the way through, creating a majestic dining experience that truly made me feel like a royal engorging on a premium delicacy. Butter basted on the finish with salt and pepper as seasoning. The cow did not die in vain.

7fea2b42aa3c0ff2aa86a4052e3a0f8f.jpg

This part was mostly my wife since my stomach was still processing the bovine I just consumed, but the bites I had pretty much took me to a paradise of sweet. A Banana Rum Bread pudding with a caramel cream sauce, topped with French Vanilla bean ice cream. You ever just take a bite of something so good, you stop eating for a second to revel in the presence of a true palatable bliss? This was that moment. Dessert is ruined for me thanks to this. I probably heard a chorus of angels in the background upon review, but it was probably the soft ambient music of the dining room. No matter, this was the brilliance of everything brought together to round out a spectacular meal. But....there’s one more thing to share. For our spirit enthusiasts....

f3976264b69b4c047e296d7e469ba107.jpg

A night cap of Eagle Rare Reserve 10 Year on the rocks. Smooth and a lovely bite on the backend to give you that true whiskey experience to pull the palate forward and launch your taste buds into the throes of bliss. I can’t express to you how wonderful this finish was to a truly fantastic meal. If you are EVER in the DFW area, this is the spot for something special, other worldly in terms of dining elegance, and a true treat that will make you wonder, “Where the hell has this been all my life?” From service to food to management rolling out the red carpet for a an experience like no other, Bob’s is the way to go!!

• Like 12

• yoda changed the title to The Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread