Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fishing 2021

Whineminster

12 hours ago, wx2fish said:

Spent last week up in Pittsburg. Caught a handful of Lakers in the First CT Lake in the 18-22" range. The trophy section of the CT River is low, but fished well. The state stocked a ton of rainbows and bookies into that stretch last Friday. Only downside was more people than usual fishing the river, it was mobbed at times. No huge fish, but a fun trip. 

Apparently lake trout were introduced in Yellowstone sometime in the 80’s and had a really bad impact on native species. They try to net out as many as the can each year. 

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Apparently lake trout were introduced in Yellowstone sometime in the 80’s and had a really bad impact on native species. They try to net out as many as the can each year. 

Law of unintended consequences will never be repealed. 
Deboullie Twp, 25 miles WSW from Fort Kent, has 20+ never-stocked ponds teeming with brookies (a few with blueback trout aka landlocked Arctic char) and one pond (Togue) in which landlocked salmon were introduced decades ago and which produce a nice stock-grow-catch fishery.  Some years back (middle oughts?) an aerial stocking dumped salmon into Deboullie Pond by mistake, and Inland Fisheries and Wildlife quickly altered regs to allow/recommend keeping all salmon, any size, from there.  Fortunately that species apparently cannot spawn at Debo as the tribs are way too small.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hoth said:

I think it was a blue. We grilled up some porgies last night. Delicious little fish.

Fighters, too.  My only porgy encounter was over 60 years ago, can't recall whether it was off Long Branch or in Sandy Hook bay.  Prior to that my only saltwater catch had been lingcod, which "fight" like a sand-filled sock.  Porgy strength reminded me of bluegills, but the biggest sunny I ever caught was shy of 9" and weighed maybe 5 oz.  Oz for oz bluegills  seem as strong as anything I've had on a hook.  Boost that to 12-15" and 1-2 lb and it really puts a bend in the rod.  (And as you said, great on the table.)

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, Ginx snewx said:

Sand or blue. I caught a six foot blue just off the golf course on a boat. Tons of porgies in the water

LOL--I was going to respond with that same question.

Meanwhile, the latest word I got (about a week or so ago) was that there were a lot of baitfish down near Popham beach delaying the stripers' migration up the Kennebec.  I guess food's more important to them than sex. :)

Hopefully, next weekend will play out okay and more will have moved upriver to Pit2.

The Bassmaster Elite Series is on Champlain Thurs-Sun. Pretty fun to watch and see how little has changed since I last fished it 10 years ago. Weights seem to be coming back a bit from a few down years in 2015-2018.

https://www.bassmaster.com/video/bassmaster-live-mix

St. Lawrence River next week will be tons of 4-6lbs smallies and big waves.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2021 at 7:44 AM, PowderBeard said:

The Bassmaster Elite Series is on Champlain Thurs-Sun. Pretty fun to watch and see how little has changed since I last fished it 10 years ago. Weights seem to be coming back a bit from a few down years in 2015-2018.

https://www.bassmaster.com/video/bassmaster-live-mix

St. Lawrence River next week will be tons of 4-6lbs smallies and big waves.

I've been to champlain a few times, but really want to get to the St. Lawrence.

2 hours ago, Diggiebot said:

Alaska fishing trip in late July. We should have salmon like this up in Maine and NH. Hopefully conservation efforts bring them back at some point. We caught 18 salmon on the Kenai river near Soldotna. 

D8190F59-3261-46AB-B8E0-44E34C25FA1A.jpeg

Nice catch (both pics).   Penobscot salmon run is slowly increasing but still in the hundreds, way below the 3000+ fish that would go thru the fishway in the early 1980s.  Back then one could actually keep one fish.  Now even fishing for them (intentionally, meaning use of salmon-fly patterns) is forbidden, though if one that hits something shiny cast by a bass fisherman it's okay as long as the fish is released unharmed.  Would love to see the Kennebec run re-established, in part because the watershed's historically best salmon-spawning trib (the Sandy) runs less than 2 miles from home.  Salmon eggs have been inserted into man-made redds in the upper Sandy, near the Phillips-Madrid line, for several years.

Explored Quaboag today. Frog bite was on, had about a dozen, most of which 2-4 lbs. First cast I had a pike in the 15-20lbs range. 7'3 heavy jig rod with 50 lbs. braid, couldn't budge it. Stripped about 80-100' of line off. I had the drag almost cranked, put my thumb on the spool to slow it down and put a good slice in it, popped off in some grass after a 2-3 minute fight. Unreal, thought I was in salt water. I see why people ice fish for them now lol

2-year-old kiddo was very upset about the fish eating "Kermit."

Open Photo 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Explored Quaboag today. Frog bite was on, had about a dozen, most of which 2-4 lbs. First cast I had a pike in the 15-20lbs range. 7'3 heavy jig rod with 50 lbs. braid, couldn't budge it. Stripped about 80-100' of line off. I had the drag almost cranked, put my thumb on the spool to slow it down and put a good slice in it, popped off in some grass after a 2-3 minute fight. Unreal, thought I was in salt water. I see why people ice fish for them now lol

2-year-old kiddo was very upset about the fish eating "Kermit."

Open Photo 

I had a similar experience at Quaboag with a Pike, thought I had a huge bass at first, fun fight to bring it in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

You throw them back? On the party boats they used to break their necks and thrown them back for fish food. I heard they use them for fish and chips in England.

Yeah, we release them. We've been reeling in a ton of them and porgies using squid and clams. It wouldn't occur to me to keep them for eating. Occasionally we'll keep the porgies if they're big enough and make fish cakes, but we're really more interested in bagging stripers.

Been having too much fun fishing other ponds lately to head back to the Quabbin (never thought I'd say that). Hit Quaboag again the other day and had about a half dozen largies in the 4 lbs range along with about a dozen others. Forgot how much I missed throwing jigs in heavy grass and winching them out. 

Open Photo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Been having too much fun fishing other ponds lately to head back to the Quabbin (never thought I'd say that). Hit Quaboag again the other day and had about a half dozen largies in the 4 lbs range along with about a dozen others. Forgot how much I missed throwing jigs in heavy grass and winching them out. 

Open Photo

That's a nice fish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

If you ever want to head out on one of the lakes in Brim/Brookfield just let me know!

sure will, you fishing shore or boat? I used to have a nice 15 foot bass boat but built a house so I sold it, looking to pick up another one, probably look for a 20HP so I have the option to take it to Quabbin.