Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fishing 2021

Whineminster

50 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Went to Scargo Lake, Long Pond in Yarmouth, Deep Pond in Falmouth, and Dunn in Gardner s weekend..... Not even one stockie! No one else catching anything either.

Let's share in both our successes and sorrows. 

The herring are coming out!! :lol: 

36 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I've never seen a herring run in person.  Only heard mystical stories from the coastal river folk. 

LOL they are a pretty good gauge on the health of the ecosystem. I guess over the less 10 years or so there has been a steady increase. 

59 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I've never seen a herring run in person.  Only heard mystical stories from the coastal river folk. 

Huge Stripers chase them as well. Was a time when we would catch 10 to 15, 20 to 40 lbers. Dredgers ruined that. Stripers are making a comeback as Menhaden stocks are regulated now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George001 said:

The Charles river is great for bass fishing the bass are huge and there are tons of them. I also like hale reservation.

Yes Charles has some lunkers.   Also some Pike at Cow Island Pond to Waltham. Bass fishing was definitely better in Natick area when I lived there versus out here.  They also stock the Charles upstream of the South Natick dam with rainbows.  Once in a while would pop off one of those.  

Used to love the Quabbin for smallies, caught some pretty nice ones, There's a relatively small pond in Charlton, its a weedy pond with a ton of lily pads, my friend lives on this pond and has a boat we've caught some 5-6 pound largemouths. The pond has little recreation, mainly just a few devout fisherman are on the pond.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Anyone ever fish the Ammonoosuc River in the White Mountains? Going to be staying up there in August right on the river. Hoping to land a few good trout.

Nope, but bring a Leland's Trout Magnet with you and then maybe some trout earth worms I'm sure you'll rip a few out of the water.   There's a brook near our place near Stinson Lake that you out a. Couple worm bits on a hook on a stick no doubt you'll rip out a few 4" brooklies, seen a couple 12" natives there's too I'm sure you could do the same up tharrrrr

1 hour ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

For real? I was only reading about there being trout in that river. 

Lower Ammonoosuc probably has bass as the CT River holds plenty.  For trout only, try the Wild Ammonoosuc?  (Probably won't be big ones in that high gradient/low nutrient river, unless they're stocked.)

Hit Quaboag the other day and it was a fun surprise. Water was around 50, air around 70, bass were in less than a foot of water on any cover they could find warming up. Made for an excellent day of pitching the jig around. Grabbed 3 largies between 2.5-4 lbs off a single long on a sand flat in 5 casts, doubt I will ever do that again in my life time. Finished with over a dozen largemouth. Quabbin opens this weekend, will be a different story. Probably yo-yoing blade baits in 30-40' for smallies. 

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Hit Quaboag the other day and it was a fun surprise. Water was around 50, air around 70, bass were in less than a foot of water on any cover they could find warming up. Made for an excellent day of pitching the jig around. Grabbed 3 largies between 2.5-4 lbs off a single long on a sand flat in 5 casts, doubt I will ever do that again in my life time. Finished with over a dozen largemouth. Quabbin opens this weekend, will be a different story. Probably yo-yoing blade baits in 30-40' for smallies. 

Nice! I'm surprised they're active already.  Sweet. 

I've tried trout fishing 3 times in the local area....nada.  Gotta hit 'em on the right day.  I'll be going up this weekend to the camp....might try Upper Baker in Orford again....we'll see.  

3 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Nice! I'm surprised they're active already.  Sweet. 

I've tried trout fishing 3 times in the local area....nada.  Gotta hit 'em on the right day.  I'll be going up this weekend to the camp....might try Upper Baker in Orford again....we'll see.  

Yea if the air is much warmer than the water, largemouth will get very shallow, but we were watching reeds and sticks move almost on the bank with fish moving around them.

I'm so done with trout right about now. Cannot keep the stockies away from a 5" jerkbait when bass fishing. That plus the 3 treble hooks on each, the boat looks like a crime scene of scales and blood. No point in putting them back after they get hooked on one of those since they won't make it. I keep making "trout cakes" out of them for my wife and the toddler. They love them. 

35 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Yea if the air is much warmer than the water, largemouth will get very shallow, but we were watching reeds and sticks move almost on the bank with fish moving around them.

I'm so done with trout right about now. Cannot keep the stockies away from a 5" jerkbait when bass fishing. That plus the 3 treble hooks on each, the boat looks like a crime scene of scales and blood. No point in putting them back after they get hooked on one of those since they won't make it. I keep making "trout cakes" out of them for my wife and the toddler. They love them. 

So I guess the mepps and power bait dough is the wrong thing to use! 

Just now, Whineminster said:

So I guess the mepps and power bait dough is the wrong thing to use! 

When I used to trout fish it was all I did, especially the old Mepps Comet Minnow - my old reliable trout lure. I catch more trout when bass fishing now than I ever did when fishing strictly for trout. The next few weeks there will be packs of lakers cruising the shallows eating newts and such in the Quabbin while people are trolling in 60' for them. Saw one about 15 lbs last year cruising around a beaver lodge in 4-6' and thought it was a pike at first.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, PowderBeard said:

When I used to trout fish it was all I did, especially the old Mepps Comet Minnow - my old reliable trout lure. I catch more trout when bass fishing now than I ever did when fishing strictly for trout. The next few weeks there will be packs of lakers cruising the shallows eating newts and such in the Quabbin while people are trolling in 60' for them. Saw one about 15 lbs last year cruising around a beaver lodge in 4-6' and thought it was a pike at first.

So cool.   So what do they eat when they're that shallow? Rapalas?

10 hours ago, dryslot said:

Have not even got the boat out of storage yet, But the smelts are running in the songo river at Sebago and the Salmon are cooperating as this guy proves.

IMG_5645.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

Typical hold-it-close-to-camera pic but still looks like a 20"+ brownie.

My canoe is still under than back porch, will probably not float it until mid May.