Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter 2021

George BM

2 hours ago, Rvarookie said:

I’m def not anti-vaccine and really appreciate the science here, but for someone that doesn’t get the flu or shot, my only angst of getting vaccine is to not disrupt my body chemistry. 

I’m not ruling out getting it someday, but just wanted to share some perspective on what others may be thinking. We are all not inconsiderate assholes or anti vaccine people. I wear my mask but also try to live my life and do what I “think” is best for my health. 

Nice that you get that choice. I did not choose to get cancer at 41, but I did and will forever be susceptible to illnesses such as COVID. I was one of those who never got the Flu shot either out of being lazy. But with the loss of 7 Lymph nodes my bodies "natural" system no longer works the way it once did. I hope you are never in a situation like mine or others. And thank you for a least wearing a mask. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rvarookie said:

my only angst of getting vaccine is to not disrupt my body chemistry. 

I hope you don't eat fast food or any of the preservative-laden foods from the grocery store.  that stuff changes your body chemistry far more than a vaccine will.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Nice that you get that choice. I did not choose to get cancer at 41, but I did and will forever be susceptible to illnesses such as COVID. I was one of those who never got the Flu shot either out of being lazy. But with the loss of 7 Lymph nodes my bodies "natural" system no longer works the way it once did. I hope you are never in a situation like mine or others. And thank you for a least wearing a mask. 

Sorry to hear that Mrs. J and def keeping you in my thoughts. Take care

28 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

I hope you don't eat fast food or any of the preservative-laden foods from the grocery store.  that stuff changes your body chemistry far more than a vaccine will.

I’m sure my logic is flawed and likely frustrates folks. I probably should have just kept it to myself, but just wanted to share where my head was at. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

literally no one:

vaccine refusers:  <non-scientific and ignorant blather that they want validation for>

I'll kindly ask to please respect the people who aren't getting a vaccine because they shouldn't.  I'm one of them. 

Just now, wxtrix said:

you aren’t a vaccine refuser, nor are you offering, as i specifically wrote, “non-scientific and ignorant blather”. there’s nothing here to fight about.

I'm refusing it, aren't I?

You lumped everyone who doesn't want one into the same group. 

59 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

I’m sure my logic is flawed and likely frustrates folks. I probably should have just kept it to myself, but just wanted to share where my head was at. 

I’m not really sure what you mean when you mention what the vaccine does to your body chemistry. What a vaccine does is preps your body to fight a disease by prompting it to produce antibodies to that disease.

I get that some folks have reservations, but the alternative of potentially contracting COVID seems a much less desired outcome than any side effects of getting the vaccine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rvarookie said:

We have a few friends and family members who are also choosing not to get the vaccine (at least not yet). While I’m fully vaccinated and my partner is getting his first this week, I’m not one to judge or question someone’s decision not to get it. It’s your personal choice and I think we’d all be better off respecting each other whether you agree or disagree with their choice. Thanks for sharing your perspectives. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

First night I can hear them.  

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Was about to say that I hear some high-pitched, constant screeching out there tonight.

I just went outside after reading these posts to try to hear some (I didn't hear any). But I looked straight up directly overhead and saw what I thought was a brighter star or planet that I'd never seen before (I'd say brighter than Mars but darker than Venus). But after a few seconds it disappeared.

Did anyone else here notice it? This was around 10:30-10:35pm (10-15 mins ago).

10 minutes ago, George BM said:

I just went outside after reading these posts to try to hear some (I didn't hear any). But I looked straight up directly overhead and saw what I thought was a brighter star or planet that I'd never seen before (I'd say brighter than Mars but darker than Venus). But after a few seconds it disappeared.

Did anyone else here notice it? This was around 10:30-10:35pm (10-15 mins ago).

That was just an alien starship. That's all. NBD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, snowfan said:

That was just an alien starship. That's all. NBD.

really starting to wonder why they keep checking in on us.  Its not like we are doing things to prove we are intelligent life.  All they have to do is check Rex Chapman's twitter feed to see all the stupid stuff humans do every day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

I haven't gotten the vaccine yet for a simple reason: Trypanophobia. I set up an appointment, and the day before it, I had a panic attack knowing I was getting a needle. Working on that to get the shot. 

Maybe wait until J&J starts back up so you can be one and done?

21 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

I haven't gotten the vaccine yet for a simple reason: Trypanophobia. I set up an appointment, and the day before it, I had a panic attack knowing I was getting a needle. Working on that to get the shot. 

I didn't realize how much more pervasive this fear was until I met two friends in recent years who suffer from this very real phobia.

Me, I could watch folks push shots or blood donation needles into my arms all day long....but I don't know if I'll ever overcome my illogical fear of flying. Have flown since I was a kid...flew extensively for work travel in my 20s/30s. Oh, my wife still occasionally drags me onto a plane, but I hate EVERY. MINUTE. OF THE. EXPERIENCE. White knuckler, all the way.  :( 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I didn't realize how much more pervasive this fear was until I met two friends in recent years who suffer from this very real phobia.

Me, I could watch folks push shots or blood donation needles into my arms all day long....but I don't know if I'll ever overcome my illogical fear of flying. Have flown since I was a kid...flew extensively for work travel in my 20s/30s. Oh, my wife still occasionally drags me onto a plane, but I hate EVERY. MINUTE. OF THE. EXPERIENCE. White knuckler, all the way.  :( 

Used to work with this guy who acted the super tough macho guy thing.  But found out one day that he passes out at the sight of a needle.  Ain't it funny how that is? 

The fear of flying is grounded in just common sense.  Get it?  Grounded?  I'm the worst.  But something heavier than air going up into said air and not falling back down due to thrust and lift physics messes with our heads.  and worrying if the person flying knows what they are doing.  Planes have redundancy but that doesn't stop weird shit from happening.  When I fly I love the take offs and landings but if i could sleep while in the air I'd be happier.  i can't tho.  Don't give me a wing seat either.  I don't need to see that flexing if there is turbulence.  Thank god for internet on flights where I can look at funny animal videos to distract me.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, H2O said:

Used to work with this guy who acted the super tough macho guy thing.  But found out one day that he passes out at the sight of a needle.  Ain't it funny how that is? 

The fear of flying is grounded in just common sense.  Get it?  Grounded?  I'm the worst.  But something heavier than air going up into said air and not falling back down due to thrust and lift physics messes with our heads.  and worrying if the person flying knows what they are doingPlanes have redundancy but that doesn't stop weird shit from happening.  When I fly I love the take offs and landings but if i could sleep while in the air I'd be happier.  i can't tho.  Don't give me a wing seat either.  I don't need to see that flexing if there is turbulence.  Thank god for internet on flights where I can look at funny animal videos to distract me.

You perfectly hit all of the logical stuff right here, especially the redundancy part. Turbulence is just like hitting a bump in the road in your car! Statistically, it's the safest form of travel! It's frustrating as hell, as I know all of this in my head...and yet the emotion of the heart/gut kick in as soon as I strap into that cramped seat, and my pretend calm goes right out the window. Usually right over and off that flexing wing.  :)

And yeah, Mrs. V always stakes her claim to the window seat, and I'm all, "NO THANKS....I'm good right here on the aisle."  :D 

Just now, Mrs.J said:

I may or may not be passing a Kidney stone this morning. Seriously worse pain that childbirth, and have done that twice. This is possibly my 3rd stone over the years. Going into Dr with a possible UTI but this pain is really making me lean towards a stone. 

Oh geez, I am SO sorry. Have had numerous members of my family who have suffered with these, and watched their discomfort too many times. While I haven't experienced it myself, I empathize with your pain on this....thinking about/praying for you today. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, H2O said:

The fear of flying is grounded in just common sense.  Get it?  Grounded?  I'm the worst.  But something heavier than air going up into said air and not falling back down due to thrust and lift physics messes with our heads.  and worrying if the person flying knows what they are doing.  Planes have redundancy but that doesn't stop weird shit from happening.  When I fly I love the take offs and landings but if i could sleep while in the air I'd be happier.  i can't tho.  Don't give me a wing seat either.  I don't need to see that flexing if there is turbulence.  Thank god for internet on flights where I can look at funny animal videos to distract me.

Good morning H2O. I have needle phobia som interestingly, I end up being a life time blood donor. Adding in pre computer records I’m going on 100 donations. My fear goes back to childhood when I was held down for a butt stab. Not many kid friendly techniques in those days. I’m scheduled to donate this afternoon and I still feel anxious. I just close my eyes and bravely remember a scene from my beloved Peanuts. I believe Linus was getting a splinter removed and his mom told him to, during the procedure, pretend he was captured by pirates and to be brave by not telling them where his treasure was hidden. I remember back and use that, of course like Linus, without fail, I tell them where the treasure is hidden every time. As always ...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

You perfectly hit all of the logical stuff right here, especially the redundancy part. Turbulence is just like hitting a bump in the road in your car! Statistically, it's the safest form of travel! It's frustrating as hell, as I know all of this in my head...and yet the emotion of the heart/gut kick in as soon as I strap into that cramped seat, and my pretend calm goes right out the window. Usually right over and off that flexing wing.  :)

And yeah, Mrs. V always stakes her claim to the window seat, and I'm all, "NO THANKS....I'm good right here on the aisle."  :D 

I don't mind the window as it gives me something to look at and I'm a geography nut so I try to identify what we are flying over.  Oh look!  Big Ben, Parliament!! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I may or may not be passing a Kidney stone this morning. Seriously worse pain that childbirth, and have done that twice. This is possibly my 3rd stone over the years. Going into Dr with a possible UTI but this pain is really making me lean towards a stone. 

Dear Mrs J, all the positive energy I can muster is pointed towards you for stone/pain passage. As always ...

• Like 1

I don't mind needles.  Hell I'll watch them jab me when drawing blood and love seeing my lifeforce being drained into a vial.  If I ever have to get cut open for surgery I wish I could be awake and watch.  My fear is being put night night and not waking back up.  Keep my ass alert and I'll help hold the thread for the stiches.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic