• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter 2021

George BM

I've had a carpenter bee issue with my back porch the last couple years.  Went and got a couple traps and hung them Saturday.  Didn't get any.  Went around and sealed up the holes they made in the wood cover yesterday.  A couple hours later I nabbed 3 in one trap alone.  Hoping to get a few more in the other one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H2O said:

I've had a carpenter bee issue with my back porch the last couple years.  Went and got a couple traps and hung them Saturday.  Didn't get any.  Went around and sealed up the holes they made in the wood cover yesterday.  A couple hours later I nabbed 3 in one trap alone.  Hoping to get a few more in the other one.

we never took down our traps from last year, but also never plugged the holes. we've trapped some new ones over the weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

we never took down our traps from last year, but also never plugged the holes. we've trapped some new ones over the weekend. 

The kids hate them and with them spending more time sitting outside they asked if I could get rid of them.  War declared.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Glad we didn't get Hall.  He's a bust

JMO, but I think part of the reason he hasn't lived up to the potential people thought he had is because of way too many years of playing with lousy teams, including the team that drafted him and whose fans thought he was going to be the savior.  He couldn't handle the pressure (trust me when I say that if you're playing for an NHL team that's based in Canada, no matter how good or bad they are, you're playing in a pressure cooker), and by the time the Oilers traded him his best years were behind him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

We occasionally get small wasp nests in the front roof overhang, but this year -- out of the blue -- we seem to have a bumblebee problem in the knee-high holly shrub located closest to (of course) the front door. My experience with bumblebees in the past is that they are only slightly more coordinated than cicadas when it comes to flying and that they'll generally go their own way -- but we have 3-4 camping out in said shrub that have no issue dive-bombing or chasing whomever is entering/exiting the front door. I generally don't like to exterminate bees and I'm not even sure where to go looking for them in the shrub...but it's becoming a minor PITA.

15 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

We occasionally get small wasp nests in the front roof overhang, but this year -- out of the blue -- we seem to have a bumblebee problem in the knee-high holly shrub located closest to (of course) the front door. My experience with bumblebees in the past is that they are only slightly more coordinated than cicadas when it comes to flying and that they'll generally go their own way -- but we have 3-4 camping out in said shrub that have no issue dive-bombing or chasing whomever is entering/exiting the front door. I generally don't like to exterminate bees and I'm not even sure where to go looking for them in the shrub...but it's becoming a minor PITA.

Not sure if the carpenter bee trap would work with them but maybe worth a try?  I got a couple a Lowes at Beacon Hill.

• Thanks 1

Its best to eradicate any infestation(wd-40 or an insecticide) and then plug the holes in the fall- don't plug until the larvae are dead, or the woodpeckers will come get them. Put the traps up in those locations. Carpenter bees always come back to the previous nesting site, so without the opening to the actual nest there, they go right into the traps. I have fought this for many years owning a log home, and this will give the best results. Still have to monitor for drilling in new locations, and place traps as needed.

• Like 1

I think many people confuse carpenter bees and bumble bees. The former is a problem, the latter not in my experience. Carpenter bees themselves don’t cause troublesome damage. It’s not much to plug a hole, sand it and stain it. The problem as @CAPE mentioned is if woodpeckers catch on. Then the damage can be big. I’ve heard but never tried a fake owl. I’ve read they will keep woodpeckers at bay. Again I don’t know that. I have seen carpenter bee traps that catch them by the dozens. Whatever you try, if you can rid yourself of them you probably need to.

Oh snap... quite the price though

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/04/capitals-red-wings-make-mantha-vrana-trade.html

The Washington Capitals and Detroit Red Wings have made arguably the biggest trade of deadline day. The Capitals have acquired Anthony Mantha in exchange for Richard Panik, Jakub Vrana, a 2021 first-round pick, and a 2022 second-round pick.

And here's why the price was so steep -- https://www.nhl.com/capitals/news/capitals-acquire-anthony-mantha-from-detroit-red-wings/c-323570636

The Washington Capitals have acquired forward Anthony Mantha from the Detroit Red Wings for forwards Jakub Vrana and Richard Panik, a 2021 first round pick and a 2022 second round pick, senior vice president and general manager Brian MacLellan announced today. Mantha is signed through the 2023-24 season with a $5.7 millon AAV.

On 4/10/2021 at 5:31 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

And a couple more!...

20210410154816_IMG_0417.thumb.JPG.7c00bcf03ae690d5d47d1bbd82fdcd30.JPG

20210410155128_IMG_0420.thumb.JPG.15575efbfe83c79f81e7032d94afa8ed.JPG

Beautiful shots! 

10 hours ago, H2O said:

We have had a new hotel for a few years. Has really cut down on them. The deck has pressure treated wood on the structure, which is supposed to not be preferred by them. But they don’t seem to care. I hate trapping them as they are pollinators but it was getting out of hand. 

• Like 1

The 2nd shot did a number on me yesterday.  Basically slept on the couch all day — aches, fever, chills, etc.  Back to normal today.  and happy I’m vaccinated!

I had to go into our office today to host a few clients in a workshop - first time in person since last March.  Definitely felt ‘weird’ seeing co-workers in person but wearing a mask for 10 straight hours is enough to make me not want to go back in person until mask requirements are lifted haha.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, yoda said:

Wizards just really want to give this game away against Utah tonight 

Beal and Westbrook forced a ton of shots at then end, but that is the new NBA.   Let your stars go one on one.  Frustrating.  Notice how when they took the 19 point lead that everyone was involved on the offensive end of the floor? 

Pics of our neighbors' breathtaking tulips and other flowers surrounding their home I snapped yesterday...I've never seen such a variety of color in spring flowers. Meant to do this at the start of last weekend when the tulips were in peak condition and the sun was out, but oh well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PSPjTZUHQXBqt9dAA

• Like 5

On 3/13/2021 at 7:29 PM, mattie g said:

In the planning stages for putting a big front porch on the house. We’re not going half-assed on this one - doing it all up. Pretty sure we’ve found the contractor to do the work, so the constant back-and-forth has begun. Hoping to have it done by the beginning of May.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, mattie g said:

Provided the down payment on Tuesday. Contractor submitted the permit paperwork yesterday, and we're hoping to begin work within the next 10 days with an eye to being complete by the middle of May.

To go with the porch, we'll have a new walkway laid down, as well as getting a new roof and gutters, along with a french drain installed on the uphill side of our house next to our carport. The lawn in that area holds standing water after even a moderate rain and has probably contributed to the sagging of our carport towards that side. We may eventually get the footers replaced to lift the carport up a bit, but there are no structural integrity issues as of now.

Can I just get a run of dry weekdays so we can get the stoop/walkway demo completed and the build actually started? It’s been a week-and-half of this already! :lol:

drove to Pikesville only to be turned away due to the J&J issue. Thankfully the county had sent me a link over the weekend for an appointment, and it still worked. Scheduled one for this afternoon at the fairgrounds. will get pfizer instead. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

drove to Pikesville only to be turned away due to the J&J issue. Thankfully the county had sent me a link over the weekend for an appointment, and it still worked. Scheduled one for this afternoon at the fairgrounds. will get pfizer instead. 

Thats really great!  Happy they had times for later today and you get JABBED!!!  Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

Thats really great!  Happy they had times for later today and you get JABBED!!!  Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Everything happens for a reason. And I got to get out of the house for a little bit :lol: 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic