• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Banter 2021

George BM

RE: Baseball parks.  I've been to a few (certainly not as many as some of you) and I have to say one of the places at top of my best experience list is Isotopes Park in Albuquerque (they are a AAA affiliate of the Rockies).  And yes, when I attended a bunch of years back a rather familiar "D'oh!" would come from the loudspeakers after a foul ball.  The team owners actually did an end-around to build it:  The original plan was to take the old stadium and renovate it, so the city put it to a public referendum along with the owners' proposal to demolish the stadium and rebuild it from scratch.  The former won, so the owners just demolished most of the stadium instead and built it how they wanted.

20 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Wire prices just exploding the past 4 weeks . Up another $7 a role in 2 days . Hard to believe I paid $60 a role less then a month ago.  I have a AG building i quoted a few months ago that will take about 7 roles of 12/2 UF which has jumped even more then romex . Probably around a $600 punch in the gut for that Job's profit 

PhotoPictureResizer_210401_164712065_crop_2646x2292-661x573.jpg

Feed sacks are goin up too, though not by that much. Got miniature donkeys down here in Central TX. Plus a deer feeder.

• Haha 1

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Way too early here  to be planting sensitive stuff . I'd think late April maybe mid April some years 

For sure. I never put veggies or other sensitive plants in the ground until may

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Way too early here  to be planting sensitive stuff . I'd think late April maybe mid April some years 

I planted some sensitive stuff in early April last year and had to cover it several times. I will wait until this upcoming blocking period is over and evaluate lol.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, nj2va said:

Looking forward to the warm weather next week to try out Barca Pier and Wine Bar, which opened today in Old Town Alexandria right on the river.  

https://dc.eater.com/2021/3/31/22358757/barca-pier-wine-bar-potomac-river-dc-restaurant-openings

Bringing this over to April banter....and this place looks pretty interesting! Have read about this several times over the past few days!  :D  Mrs. V and I spent a day crawling the outlets at National Harbor today, and finished the afternoon with happy hour at the Brass Tap in NH. Sampled too many good IPAs and stouts to list here....  :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Bringing this over to April banter....and this place looks pretty interesting! Have read about this several times over the past few days!  :D  Mrs. V and I spent a day crawling the outlets at National Harbor today, and finished the afternoon with happy hour at the Brass Tap in NH. Sampled too many good IPAs and stouts to list here....  :D 

I’ll let you know how it is!  I’m sure its going to be a hit given the location.  That sounds like a great day...it’d be great to do some IPA/beer/etc sampling sometime in Old Town!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Wire prices just exploding the past 4 weeks . Up another $7 a roll in 2 days . Hard to believe I paid $60 a role less then a month ago.  I have a Agricultural building to wire  i quoted a few months ago that will take about 7 rolls of 12/2 UF which has jumped even more then romex ( below). Probably around a $600 punch in the gut for that Job's profit 

PhotoPictureResizer_210401_164712065_crop_2646x2292-661x573.jpg

The most recent up trend in copper prices started last March. As with many products/services, most likely a supply crunch induced by COVID related disruptions.

Check out the long term price trends. Click on 5 years and you can see the increase over the past year clearly.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data

29 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

That chart is misleading in the real world Cape. I can only speak for Here in Md and SC Pa wire prices were mostly steady all of last year with just normal fluctuations up and down . Actually I paid the lowest for romex 14/2 +12/2 this Jan into early Feb . 1st week of March it skyrocketed.  I appreciate the graph but this is my livelihood and I see the changes in real time every day with my own eyes. Current prices are highest of all time in near 30 years of my experience and it started less then a month ago. 

Like I said other areas of the country could be a little different. 

That is real world data. A little research is required to find the reasons behind the trends in the data depicted on that graph. You realize that raw material supply chain disruptions don't necessarily have immediate price impacts on end products right? It takes time for inventories to become depleted etc, and after the lag, the impacts of supply shortages will not necessarily be distributed equally, thus prices will fluctuate and vary from place to place. The primary issue with copper over the past year is in the mining process.

Good read here, if you are interested-

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-metals-copper-ahome/column-worlds-copper-mines-struggle-to-recover-from-covid-19-idUSKBN29V1E9

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The 2003 to 2008 or so timeframe was a steady large wire   increase but spread out over years . This spike the past month is incredible  and a gut punch and not forseen and with no signs of slowing.  Ofc there's lags but looking at other building products...the covid induced increases started last spring and summer . But who knows .

Its very unfortunate and a huge hit to my wallet that's for sure .

As contractor, don't you get better prices at electrical supply houses than at Lowes?

We're doing some major renovations right now and I was chatting with our GC and the electrician the other day.  The electrician was basically saying the same thing about price increases, particularly over the last month or so which have been the highest he can remember.  He's been forced to pass most of those increases down to customers since he couldn't afford to take that kind of hit.  Hopefully as the supply chain returns to normal, we see prices for raw materials come back to earth.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

You realize that raw material supply chain disruptions don't necessarily have immediate price impacts on end products right? 

Except when it comes to gasoline. That industry will rip customers at any opportunity. As soon as the disruption in Texas happened, prices shot up. But you won’t seen an immediate drop in prices as soon as a disruption is gone. Happens every time.

It may be mean spirited but I hope I live long enough to see the petroleum industry bankrupt and gone.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2021 at 7:49 AM, Mrs.J said:

While looking out on this cool gray morning noticed the tree line behind the house has started to bud. That little bit of green helps to make it not feel as blah as it is out right now. 

Agree 100% -- and it does help ease the blah. I noticed the same thing this morning looking out across the neighborhood. It's amazing how that slight green tinge starts slowly spreading across the tree canopies, growing a bit more visible each day, and then realization whacks you across the head -- "Hey, the leaves are almost here!"  :D 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Picked this up today. Newer offering from DFH, a NE Hazy IPA. Looking forward to pouring this one... soonish.

Dogfish Head Adding Hazy-O! Hazy IPA to Lineup In 12-Ounce Cans – Tenemu

Nice find, and sounds really good! Mrs. V and I hit up the Brass Tap in National Harbor yesterday afternoon -- a pub chain, but they typically have a great selection of local beers in whichever branch you visit. Food is darn good, too, as pub grubs go.

I started with the Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad (OUTSTANDING) and finished off with a Heavy Seas IPA (also good). My wife had the DC Brau On The Wings of Armageddon and a Brew Dog Hazy Jane, also both excellent. She suggested that we take an Uber to NH's Brass Tap next time to "properly sample" several additional beers....I think she's onto something.  ;) 

Here's NH's Brass Tap draught menu for those interested -- Brass Tap National Harbor Beer Menu | DRAUGHT (brasstapbeerbar.com)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Nice find, and sounds really good! Mrs. V and I hit up the Brass Tap in National Harbor yesterday afternoon -- a pub chain, but they typically have a great selection of local beers in whichever branch you visit. Food is darn good, too, as pub grubs go.

I started with the Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad (OUTSTANDING) and finished off with a Heavy Seas IPA (also good). My wife had the DC Brau On The Wings of Armageddon and a Brew Dog Hazy Jane, also both excellent. She suggested that we take an Uber to NH's Brass Tap next time to "properly sample" several additional beers....I think she's onto something.  ;) 

Here's NH's Brass Tap draught menu for those interested -- Brass Tap National Harbor Beer Menu | DRAUGHT (brasstapbeerbar.com)

Sounds like a fun time. Love the Boulevard. Their Whiskey Barrel Stout is outstanding as well.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic