Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
April Discobs 2021

George BM

30 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Downgraded to advisory until 0200 Sat for us.

Not even sure why it wasn't canceled altogether.  Here we didn't even have advisory criteria winds.  Spent today sharpening chains, can't work in "high wind warning".  Cut some ash cookies with the 661, she's wicked sharp now!

It's funny this area busts even on weather we really DON'T want.  Oh well, sunny with 75F dewpoints here we come. :|

Yeah HWW have rarely verified in our area with the exception of what two years ago!? 

I've been complaining with some others on the gardening forum about huge maple trees in our yard with billions of spinners loaded in their arsenals.  Well the wind has stripped them of the spinners in a day and even swept our deck clean.  Free of charge.

You know what … that’s really an interesting point. Those things can be a pain in the ass and every 10th spinner seems to get caught in the cracks between the wood planks in my deck, making them impervious to the power of my 85 mph electric leaf blower. So I break my back picking those dam things out of the deck cracks by hand because I’m OCD about it. So if this wind storm cleaned the canopies and I can take the summer off dealing with spinners I raise a glass to this wind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Getting pretty lucky in terms of damage IMBY right now. Just some twigs and small branches. PEPCO numbers look good - they've seemingly gotten a lot better in the last 10 years or so. Used to be 6 hour outages if a person farted. 

Pepco so much better than10 years ago.  I was up at Rt29 and Randolph  Rd and it was windy around 6pm but nothing else. 

3 hours ago, jewell2188 said:

Yeah HWW have rarely verified in our area with the exception of what two years ago!? 

There have been a few.  It's very localized.  We've been in many severe thunderstorm warnings but neither wind or hail verify at our location.  But someone does.

March 02, 2018 was a rare event and it was quite widespread not only in coverage but duration. 

Aside from tropical, last time we had really widespread gusts 70+ would have been 12/28/1988!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, Stormfly said:

There have been a few.  It's very localized.  We've been in many severe thunderstorm warnings but neither wind or hail verify at our location.  But someone does.

March 02, 2018 was a rare event and it was quite widespread not only in coverage but duration. 

Aside from tropical, last time we had really widespread gusts 70+ would have been 12/28/1988!

Tropical?

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b58ix3c36u3wujl1o2g

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A few days late, but my numbers for April, 2021.

Averaged high temp was 65.0 degrees vs a normal of 66.5 degrees, a -1.5 below normal. Warmest temp was on the 28th with a 86.2 degree reading. Averaged low temp was 39.1 degrees vs a normal of 38.4 degrees, a +0.7 above normal. The coldest temp recorded for month was on the 4th with 21.0 degrees. The overall averaged temp for month was 52.0 degrees vs a normal of 52.5 degrees, a -0.5 below normal. Total rainfall for the month was 4.98 inches vs the normal of 3.30 inches, a +1.68 inches above normal. Wettest day was on the 11th with 2.38 inches falling. There were 11 days with measurable, 3 days with a 'T' and 16 dry days. A trace 'T' of snow was recorded vs the normal of 0.3 inches, a -0.3 inches below normal. There were zero days with measurable, 3 days with a 'T' and 27 days with no snow. The strongest wind recorded for the month was 33 mph on the 16th. One new record, the 2.38 inches of rain on the 11th set a new daily rainfall record. The last (as of now) freeze for the season was on the 24th of the month. Records date back to October 1979.

• Like 4