Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discobs 2021

George BM

4 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

What's up with the wind today? Way more than I was expecting. Some warmer weather will be a welcome mid-week. 

Yeah, way windier than I expected today. Given all of the outdoor yard work and mowing yesterday (and resultant seasonal allergic reactions TODAY), I stayed in and finished TWO books. It was an enjoyable afternoon....  :) 

A Vibrant Sunset Warning is in effect for the DMV region until 8:25pm local time.

At 7:32pm local time high clouds were sitting over much of northern VA, Maryland as well as DC. Vibrant oranges and pinks followed by reds can be expect in the warned area, especially between 7:59pm and 8:14pm. Use extra caution when driving to avoid getting to accidents as a result of being distracted by the sunset.

Forecaster: George BM

25 minutes ago, George BM said:

A Vibrant Sunset Warning is in effect for the DMV region until 8:25pm local time.

At 7:32pm local time high clouds were sitting over much of northern VA, Maryland as well as DC. Vibrant oranges and pinks followed by reds can be expect in the warned area, especially between 7:59pm and 8:14pm. Use extra caution when driving to avoid getting to accidents as a result of being distracted by the sunset.

Forecaster: George BM

UPDATE: The Vibrant Sunset Warning that was in effect for the DMV region has been cancelled. The previous "forecaster" carelessly didn't account for the additional high clouds currently over Ohio that would lead to a much shorter period of sunshine shining underneath the high clouds over the region. This "forecaster" does not represent the real forecasters out there that alert the public about cool or potentially dangerous weather events. A Vibrant Sunset Warning should've never been issued. An advisory would have sufficed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Looks like 2, maybe 3 days of 80s this week depending on timing of the cold front, then we cool to more typical temps for the weekend. Guidance has another upper ridge building over the east next week, which would again boost temps to above average- into the 80s, maybe a 90 at DCA as currently depicted by the GFS.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Looks like 2, maybe 3 days of 80s this week depending on timing of the cold front, then we cool to more typical temps for the weekend. Guidance has another upper ridge building over the east next week, which would again boost temps to above average- into the 80s, maybe a 90 at DCA as currently depicted by the GFS.

There is always payback for having some abnormal temps.  Last weeks chill replaced by more summer like heat.  80s tho.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Hope the late week rain juices up. Want all the rain I can get going into the heat of summer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hope the late week rain juices up. Want all the rain I can get going into the heat of summer.

The trend, as you know, has been to decrease rainfall chances late week.  Will look to dry up as the week progresses as well. Rather low chances of anything meaningful as the sunlight lenght of day increases.  I expect the ramp up in ocean surf zone temps to pick up this week. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Lots of rain now might help a reservoir or deep water tables but it ain’t gonna help grass in July or August. The top foot of soil can dry out quickly in the summer sun.

I expect grass will brown and die sometime during the summer. But want well established roots for all my trees and perennials.

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I expect grass will brown and die sometime during the summer. But want well established roots for all my trees and perennials.

Those deep roots can help grass as well. The key, I’ve read, is deep watering, not shallow. Shallow water, shallow roots for grass. If that’s true I would think frequent small rain events in spring probably hurt grass come summer heat.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic