Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April Discobs 2021

George BM

31 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Windy

GAH. The house is creaking and moaning like an old hag with this wind, haven't heard it this bad in awhile...didn't expect the wind advisory after the frontal passage. Wanted to go on an extended walk after the front blew through and the sun returned, but with all of the maple spinners, oak catkins and God only knows how much airborne pollen out there forming/dissolving/re-forming into little allergenic tornados, that is out of the question.

@MN Transplant @high risk 

Check out the thunderstorms in eastern Indiana (IND radar) reaching ~20,000ft in height w/ a lot of lightning.

With the cold air aloft (500mb temps: ~ -35C/ 850mb temps: ~ -6C), steep low-level lapse rates and surface temps in the 40-45F range, I'd think a lot of that precip is in the form of graupel or snow. Pretty neat.

What I'd give to have that here...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

@MN Transplant @high risk 

Check out the thunderstorms in eastern Indiana (IND radar) reaching ~20,000ft in height w/ a lot of lightning.

With the cold air aloft (500mb temps: ~ -35C/ 850mb temps: ~ -6C), steep low-level lapse rates and surface temps in the 40-45F range, I'd think a lot of that precip is in the form of graupel or snow. Pretty neat.

What I'd give to have that here...

We had something like that back in April 2019 or so?

edit 3/22/19

33 minutes ago, H2O said:

LWX should have issued a maple tree helicopter accumulation forecast.

Dear GOD, I hate them. Next door neighbor has the spinner-shedding tree in his backyard, and yet, these damn things manage to land primarily all over my front/back yards. He's been talking about removing the tree over the past year, since (extra added bonus!) one of its largest trunks is leaning precariously toward/threatening the rear addition off the back of my home.

I suppose if I had to look for a silver lining in this instance, it's that our front beds won't be mulched for another two weeks. And we continue our vigil, hoping that the damn tree is gone when spinner season comes this time next year.

PXL_20210422_130015704a.jpg.c89476e5fc191087dc4ba01623884ebd.jpg

8 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Dear GOD, I hate them. Next door neighbor has the spinner-shedding tree in his backyard, and yet, these damn things manage to land primarily all over my front/back yards. He's been talking about removing the tree over the past year, since (extra added bonus!) one of its largest trunks is leaning precariously toward/threatening the rear addition off the back of my home.

I suppose if I had to look for a silver lining in this instance, it's that our front beds won't be mulched for another two weeks. And we continue our vigil, hoping that the damn tree is gone when spinner season comes this time next year.

PXL_20210422_130015704a.jpg.c89476e5fc191087dc4ba01623884ebd.jpg

I have 3 maples in my yard and they range from those jumbos like yours to little ones.  Gutter cloggers and all my kids track them in with their shoes.  Just vacuumed the floor?  Forget it. 

But the oak pollen string droppers that turn into pollen tumbleweeds are just as bad.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

I have 3 maples in my yard and they range from those jumbos like yours to little ones.  Gutter cloggers and all my kids track them in with their shoes.  Just vacuumed the floor?  Forget it. 

But the oak pollen string droppers that turn into pollen tumbleweeds are just as bad.

I only learned this week that the "oak moss" (my name!) are called "catkins" -- and I forgot about the gutter messes they cause. We got those gutter screens years ago, which have helped immensely. And I feel your pain -- the back patios look even worse, as there are congealed catkin/spinner tumbleweeds and clumps everywhere. Only another week or two until all this crap comes down and I can pull out the power washer...oh, JOY.  :D 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic