Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021-2022

40/70 Benchmark

7 hours ago, MJO812 said:

And to think some people thought it was going to get stronger 

It’s getting ready to peak, which will probably happen in the next several weeks, the models all had a November/December peak, which fits ENSO climo, most Nino’s and Nina’s peak in that time frame. This event most likely peaks the tail end of this month or early December, that really doesn’t change anything, was expected and is a normal progression 

Just to elaborate: Positives: Maybe some higher heights in Greenland and perhaps some ridging out west and in the southwest. 

Negatives: Lower heights in a bad spot. I'd say a big negative.

Caveats are week 4 etc...but given the end of the EPS where maybe things relax a bit...I'm not sure about a great look. JMHO.

image.png.a3df41a654934920c542cdcfc0e08bb0.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I’m not so sure to start December. I wouldn’t say great.

I knew you would be the one to queef in my face.

I'm talking about the next 45 days or so in the mean. 

Wait until after the holidays, load up a composite of 11/16 to 12/26, then talk to me.

No one will care about your 3 mild days in early December.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

It’s getting ready to peak, which will probably happen in the next several weeks, the models all had a November/December peak, which fits ENSO climo, most Nino’s and Nina’s peak in that time frame. This event most likely peaks the tail end of this month or early December, that really doesn’t change anything, was expected and is a normal progression 

It changes plenty if you were expecting a strong la nina, which some were.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s interesting. From an anomaly standpoint, the weeklies I can see looked ugly week 4-5. 

My take on that is its correct, but rushed....as the evolution often is in the extended. You will see those blues around AK verify, but get pushed back towards the new year.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

My take on that is its correct, but rushed....as the evolution often is in the extended. You will see those blues around AK verify, but get pushed back towards the new year.

The end of the EPS try to show something. I could see lower heights progress from this image shown, to the weeklies. I'm not cancelling winter....just stating that concerns me a bit.

image.png.ee326124f5e10a30a0953cf0409f9b6a.png

Also forcing looks strong on maritime continent. I think that will pull back the ridging to a more dateline look into December. Just my guess. Hopefully the AO/NAO aren't raging +.

I know the sub surface is warming, but still strong easterlies at 850..moving a bit towards the west again. Not sure what to think.

image.png.25fea20867d7b4acc1a6cee7ed02a9e7.png

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The end of the EPS try to show something. I could see lower heights progress from this image shown, to the weeklies. I'm not cancelling winter....just stating that concerns me a bit.

image.png.ee326124f5e10a30a0953cf0409f9b6a.png

Lower heights INTVO of AK is going to be a reoccurring theme this season...2011-2012 is a decent, if flawed analog...however, we should have good periods given the drastically different polar domain.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also forcing looks strong on maritime continent. I think that will pull back the ridging to a more dateline look into December. Just my guess. Hopefully the AO/NAO aren't raging +.

I know the sub surface is warming, but still strong easterlies at 850..moving a bit towards the west again. Not sure what to think.

image.png.25fea20867d7b4acc1a6cee7ed02a9e7.png

I will agree that if the polar field doesn't work out this season, then we are cooked. I see no reason to suspect that, though. I would be surprised.

The Pacific is not pretty this season...it should be a for a spell in December, but by in large...it won't be.

Forcing over the maritime continent isn't going anywhere, but that is usually good in December...its thereafter that it goes to crap.

I guess if you were looking for 2014-2015, or 1977-1978, then no....everything doesn't look great. But if you had reasonable expectations given the hand we were dealt this season, then I think it looks about as good as could reasonably be expected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I will agree that if the polar field doesn't work out this season, then we are cooked. I see no reason to suspect that, though. I would be surprised.

The Pacific is not pretty this season...it should be a for a spell in December, but by in large...it won't be.

I feel like I need to walk on egg shells when saying this stuff. Not directed at you.....just saying I am not cancelling anything.

I'm not sure what to think right now given the look. I agree the AO/NAO right now is certainly not a black hole like 11-12 looked at this time. So that is good.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I feel like I need to walk on egg shells when saying this stuff. Not directed at you.....just saying I am not cancelling anything.

I'm not sure what to think right now given the look. I agree the AO/NAO right now is certainly not a black hole like 11-12 looked at this time. So that is good.

Its not going to be pretty and its going to be perilously close to a ratter...I get what you are saying. But I feel good about it working out. Maybe I am wrong...certainly have been before and will be again and again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Just to elaborate: Positives: Maybe some higher heights in Greenland and perhaps some ridging out west and in the southwest. 

Negatives: Lower heights in a bad spot. I'd say a big negative.

Caveats are week 4 etc...but given the end of the EPS where maybe things relax a bit...I'm not sure about a great look. JMHO.

image.png.a3df41a654934920c542cdcfc0e08bb0.png

What I was getting is that looks pretty similar to what I have for January.

image.thumb.png.902e4b9d39849c39347180faf7cdba31.png