Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2021-2022

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

Jerry he did that on purpose.  I didn’t see him acknowledge that…maybe I missed it. In the post Kevin posted I didn’t see that.

And “If it’s right?”  We know and he knows it’s dead wrong.  Permanent ridge in the east from now till April..give me a break.  He’s trying to drum up interest

No doubt but everyone does it.    We tend to bash all these guys that promise us great winters but it doesn’t happen...lol.

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

You want to go outside and have your snot freeze.

Kinda weird maybe but ... I have a couple of bucket-list items.  One is to experience a record Death Valley heat wave ... just step outside in slow-bread bake temperatures.  Like Captain Kirk in space, 'something everyone should experience'   heh.

The other one is that Tower Minnesota thing, where a cup of boiling water throw into the air in -42 F actually explodes do to thermal expansion at saturation vapor pressure.   Half the water instantly goes to gas, while the other half shards to the ground like glass falling out of a car crash, probably the fastest natural setting phase change there can be.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Kinda weird maybe but ... I have a couple of bucket-list items.  One is to experience a record Death Valley heat wave ... just step outside in slow-bread bake temperatures.  Like Captain Kirk in space, 'something everyone should experience'   heh.

The other one is that Tower Minnesota thing, where a cup of boiling water throw into the air in -42 F actually explodes do to thermal expansion at saturation vapor pressure.   Half the water instantly goes to gas, while the other half shards to the ground like glass falling out of a car crash, probably the fastest natural setting phase change there can be.

I’m with you!  Of course I want to spend a month in Valdez when the pig is oinking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I’m with you!  Of course I want to spend a month in Valdez when the pig is oinking.

Lol... right.  

wasn't there a record there like... I wanna say 7 years ago?  Somewhere along the coastal region of Alaska wound up with decades in feet of snow or something hyper anomalous like that.  Probably a global warming attribution study chance maybe even.. but yeah, they probably get snow-rate visibility so low that it's coming down in one's living room in those set ups.

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Lol... right.  

wasn't there a record there like... I wanna say 7 years ago?  Somewhere along the coastal region of Alaska wound up with decades in feet of snow or something hyper anomalous like that.  Probably a global warming attribution study chance maybe even.. but yeah, they probably get snow-rate visibility so low that it's coming down in one's living room in those set ups.

I think it was 2011-12.   I’ve been googling snowiest places on earth.  I’m turning 75 in December and my wife wants to reward me if I make it…lol.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think it was 2011-12.   I’ve been googling snowiest places on earth.  I’m turning 75 in December and my wife wants to reward me if I make it…lol.

Gotta try to seize those weather moments if you can. I decided I was just tired of being a snow lover in a place where it doesn't reliably snow. It was torture.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Valdez had 438" of snow that season. 4th snowiest on record.

1989-1990 had 550" (!!)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i wonder what their highest depth was. beacuse that's a lot of snow

Looks like their maximum snow depth was 100 inches in 2011-2012....they reached 107 inches in the 1989-1990 winter.

12 minutes ago, roardog said:

Generally speaking, most winter lovers in the east probably don’t want Valdez to break a record as that’s usually bad news for eastern winter lovers.

Yeah most of their epic years aren't good here, though there are some exceptions. 2012-2013 was their 5th snowiest winter on record and it was very snowy in New England (not so much in the mid-atlantic though). 2000-2001 and 1976-1977 were also top 10 snowiest winters in Valdez which were prolific in New England.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Gotta try to seize those weather moments if you can. I decided I was just tired of being a snow lover in a place where it doesn't reliably snow. It was torture.

Yeah you made the right move.  Of course one has to have wife and family willing to play along since they rarely are obsessed as we are.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s not always about moving either. If you want to take a trip to see some amazing weather event, it’s worth trying to make it happen. 

Exactly why I’m trying to go to a very snowy place somewhere on earth for a long enough period to experience it.  I have no idea how long I’ll be able to easily travel but I can now 

• Like 7

I dunno...noaa seems to go warm a lot more than cold for these parts in their outlooks, and like other outlooks, it has to be taken a grain of salt.  

And even if it is valid, it looks active for NE.  I’ll be alright in central VT.  You could have this outlook (which leaves a lot to the imagination) pattern verify and still get enough winter to satisfy many.  

Moving on...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

I dunno...noaa seems to go warm a lot more than cold for these parts in their outlooks, and like other outlooks, it has to be taken a grain of salt.  

And even if it is valid, it looks active for NE.  I’ll be alright in central VT.  You could have this outlook (which leaves a lot to the imagination) pattern verify and still get enough winter to satisfy many.  

Moving on...

100% Agree.  

Those outlooks are so Very vague imo, I don’t even bother looking at them anymore.  The amateurs here do a completely better job in my opinion. 

• Like 1

This month is a good example of how useless the teleconnections are in certain periods. The October temperature profile matches well to an idealized +WPO look in the Pacific, and nothing like a -NAO look in the Atlantic. My view is the WPO beats the NAO with a hammer in the Sept-Oct and also May as an indicator. We essentially have the La Nina version of the +WPO look this month.

Screenshot-2021-10-21-5-46-24-PM.pngScreenshot-2021-10-21-6-01-38-PMScreenshot-2021-10-21-5-41-16-PM.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Exactly why I’m trying to go to a very snowy place somewhere on earth for a long enough period to experience it.  I have no idea how long I’ll be able to easily travel but I can now 

Michigans Keweenaw Peninsula has a record snowfall of355inches.  Saw a discussion last year about the Eastern side of lake Superior in Canada might have some huge snowfall locations.  Some uplift with winds always blowing off the lake.  The population was very sparse so no one to measure it.

1 hour ago, binovc said:

Michigans Keweenaw Peninsula has a record snowfall of355inches.  Saw a discussion last year about the Eastern side of lake Superior in Canada might have some huge snowfall locations.  Some uplift with winds always blowing off the lake.  The population was very sparse so no one to measure it.

Hooker NY holds the record east of the rockies at 466.9" in 1976-77

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eduggs said:

For snowiest places where people actually live, northern Japan has to be at or near the top of the list. Especially since most of it falls in just 2 or 3 months.

My wife and I have talked about trying to move there lol.  She loves experiencing different cultures and I love skiing and big snow.  A good match.  The amount of snow that falls in many of those big ski resort towns is obscene and it’s high quality powder too.  It’s like lake effect dumps that have a bit more moisture from coming across the ocean instead of a lake.  Salt nuclei and all.

It’s where my avatar is from, ha.

AD2C249E-5EE4-4215-BE58-95F51AA5E05B.thumb.jpeg.e3588c33624547ca736a355f0d9cf2f2.jpeg

E969C9AB-B438-4EEE-B20F-5419F0AFE423.jpeg.eb576a9bd9393e29618c1904a2d8cb82.jpeg

1485E832-D589-4973-A3E7-894223FDE169.thumb.jpeg.3c5b0bc757369b74f00e760ac2499035.jpeg

DA292DBA-2E45-4D70-965D-CC3DA28F17D1.thumb.webp.6ee754243d9ccca80fa4b8de732c2e16.webp

• Like 6