• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2021 Medium/Long Range Forecast Discussion.

John1122

• Mr Bob pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Freeze watches have been hoisted for Wednesday night(not tonight....).  For gardeners and farmers, very important to keep a close eye on things.  30 is the forecast low at TRI.  Wouldn't be surprised to see it a bit lower if things go really calm.  The amount of time by freezing is critical.  Fingers crossed this doesn't get worse as things are in bloom and all of the new foliage.  This fits a recent pattern(though certainly not uncommon) of late freezes, even after things make a turn towards spring.  Some years, we turn the corner at lower elevations and no worries.  Past two seasons have been a pain in the neck.  

The potential low of 26 at TRI would be very close to the latest that TRI has experienced temps dipping into the 20s this late in the season.  Looks like the latest that temps have dipped into the 20s is April 27th.  Impressive cold.  Man, looks frigid out there.  Going to be a lot of plants with new foliage damaged by this.  Sometimes I put tarps of things and wonder if it does any good.  Right now, the tarps are covered with frost.  Looks like this has been a freeze where temps have been sustained for several hours below freezing.  Looks like TRI dropped from 36 to 29 in a matter of one hour just after midnight.  Quick drop.  We have one of the coldest temps in the region right now.  The quick drop leaves me mildly suspicious (humidity soared about then as well) of the record, but looking out the window....looks rough(meaning very cold and has been that way for some time).  We will likely have been below 30 for 6+ hours.  Have to wonder if this will be tough on even trees in the forest which are hardy.  I have seen that happen once several years ago.  This is a bad freeze.  

One more night of this tonight, and then we might be done for the season...might be.   Garden begins to go into the ground next week.  

3 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

I was down to 28 at my house and had a heavy frost. Glad I covered up my Jap maple and Bloodgood.

Good thinking.  We covered up our patio peach as well.  Man, it is was still burned though.  I think the duration of time which we were in the 20s was the problem.  We will see if it survives.  

• Like 1

Good thinking.  We covered up our patio peach as well.  Man, it is was still burned though.  I think the duration of time which we were in the 20s was the problem.  We will see if it survives.  

My most delicate plants, I took some tent poles and placed them on all 4 corners of the shrub but made sure they were a foot above the shrub. Then I threw a tarp over it all so no moisture gets through. Works great and keeps the material off the plant.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

My most delicate plants, I took some tent poles and placed them on all 4 corners of the shrub but made sure they were a foot above the shrub. Then I threw a tarp over it all so no moisture gets through. Works great and keeps the material off the plant.

In hindsight, that was definitely the way to go.  We have a hoop house for our garden that does that for us.  Just need something to trap the earth's heat and leave a little bit of separation with the cover.  I figured the peach would be ok since it it right next to the house, but the cold air must have dammed against the house there.  It looks better than I though today.  These late season freezes tax our resources - tarps, plastic, etc.  Some stuff(if we didn't have covers) we were simply like...good luck!  LOL.  The one thing which I would have covered better were our blueberry bushes which were in full bloom.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

36.5 this morning. That's very chilly for mid May.

46 in Knoxville.  And yet....kids at the bus stop were wearing shorts and a t-shirt.  These are the same teens only wearing a hoodie when it was 23 one morning a few months ago.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dodged one with a frost on the rooftops last week, but the garden was spared....Looks like summer heat is about to show-up and have some staying power.  My garden needs some seasonably warm weather - and consistent rain(which may be tough to come by with the modeled Bermuda high configuration).

• Like 1

Dodged one with a frost on the rooftops last week, but the garden was spared....Looks like summer heat is about to show-up and have some staying power.  My garden needs some seasonably warm weather - and consistent rain(which may be tough to come by with the modeled Bermuda high configuration).

Need to get some storms going or I will be dragging a hose by next week

The Euro Weeklies are hinting at developing dry with possible drought conditions developing through the next 6 weeks.  The spigot, after several years of good rains, is off.  TBD on when it returns.  Thinking this might be the beginning of a very dry time frame measuring in months if not years - but THAT is getting far to ahead of myself.

The Euro Weeklies are hinting at developing dry with possible drought conditions developing through the next 6 weeks.  The spigot, after several years of good rains, is off.  TBD on when it returns.  Thinking this might be the beginning of a very dry time frame measuring in months if not years - but THAT is getting far to ahead of myself.

Just curious question here. Are the weeklies showing a lot of heat to go along with the dryness? Those two seem to go together in summer.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic