• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2021 Atlantic Hurricane season

6 minutes ago, Prospero said:

GFS is back to showing something in the Gulf a week or so out.

The basin is active. Both 95L and 97L have a chance to develop, though I think 97L might have the better long range odds at this point. The steering pattern would suggest at least at this point some type of close approach to the US by one or both waves, but obviously a long way out. 

Ridge placement is such that if 97L develops, it's going to be a Caribbean runner. Typically with a pronounced surface and 590s DM ridge, you get strong low level easterlies in the Caribbean. Climatologically speaking, we still have westerlies screaming over top creating strong shear for anything that might develop, aka the Caribbean graveyard this time of year. But with a potential CCKW in place, increased instability and potential upper level easterlies may coincide through the Caribbean as well. Upper ridge placement could pull off a surprise here. Not to get too far ahead (TCG is still not climatologically favored), but similar rare occurrences and synoptic favoribility have happened. The last anomalous July was 2005. We got Dennis and Emily that year.

• Like 2

^ Of course, the Euro may be about to miss on an early TCG here. It's not perfect and does strike out occasionally. There is clearly good low level convergence now occurring within the southern envelope of the wave axis and monsoonal trough. The northern envelope of the wave appears to be folding and breaking away from the ITCZ, which is dragging behind 95L to the WNW of 97L. In short, we have a decent cyclonic spin to this system already; whether it presently has a closed low level vortex, that may not be far off with convective bursting near a hypothetical center tonight.
5a65e7b4f90f26a88ca23a118ce967d1.gif

• Like 1

A modest TS over Tampa Bay during the 4th of July week would disappoint a lot of people around here, but I'd be tickled pink to watch some waves break over a seawall and watch the wind blow our palm trees around during some bands of driving rain. Yea, I know, sick. But that would be my ideal 4th of July week...

NHC has 95L at 10 percent... 97L at cherry for Day 5

Tropical Weather Outlook
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 AM EDT Wed Jun 30 2021

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

1. A broad area of low pressure, associated with a tropical wave, is 
located about midway between the west coast of Africa and the 
Windward Islands.  This system is producing a large area of showers 
and thunderstorms that continues to show some signs of organization. 
Environmental conditions appear generally favorable for development, 
and a tropical depression is likely to form during the next few 
days while the system moves west-northwestward at about 20 mph.  
Interests in the Windward and Leeward Islands should closely 
monitor this system as it will likely be moving through that region 
on Friday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent.

2. Disorganized showers and thunderstorms continue in association with 
a tropical wave located a couple of hundred miles east of the 
Lesser Antilles.  Significant development of this system is 
unlikely while it moves quickly westward to west-northwestward at 20 
to 25 mph, passing through the Lesser Antilles today and then across 
the eastern and central Caribbean Sea later this week.  Regardless 
of development, this system could bring locally heavy rainfall to 
portions of the Lesser Antilles during the next couple of days.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...10 percent.

Forecaster Pasch

So either we'll get slammed, or wait twiddling our thumbs with nothing.

I wonder what will become??

I would prefer thumb twiddling while watching storms try to become something, kind of like Elsa. Yet that does get tiresome. Better than scanning the News channels for anything interesting though.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Prospero said:

So either we'll get slammed, or wait twiddling our thumbs with nothing.

I wonder what will become??

I would prefer thumb twiddling while watching storms try to become something, kind of like Elsa. Yet that does get tiresome. Better than scanning the News channels for anything interesting though.

It’s been a weird summer here in S E FL; not really that warm, not a lot in the way of afternoon storms. I think ocean temps are cool for this time of year in the low 80’s

Looks to me like we have a cold mdr this year with below average activity. Not seeing why everyone's forecasting an above avg season. Maybe they are accounting for the garbage the nhc decideds to name nowadays. Don't think I've ever seen a hurricane as bad looking as elsa. I mean the aircraft recon even showed this was not a hurricane, yet noaa decided to throw away data and call it what they want. 

• Weenie 2

2 hours ago, Weathersteve said:

Looks to me like we have a cold mdr this year with below average activity. Not seeing why everyone's forecasting an above avg season. Maybe they are accounting for the garbage the nhc decideds to name nowadays. Don't think I've ever seen a hurricane as bad looking as elsa. I mean the aircraft recon even showed this was not a hurricane, yet noaa decided to throw away data and call it what they want. 

Who cares what the aircraft recon showed? That's not the best way to classify a storm. There were surface observations that showed that the storm was indeed a hurricane. You can't argue with actual surface observations. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Weathersteve said:

A few gusts at hurricane force doesn't qualify in my book as sustained at 75.

Well good thing you don't make the call on these things. 

The Meteorological Service of Barbados reported a sustained wind of 74 mph and a gust to 86 mph. 
  • Like 1

Okay I see what the data shows and you are correct. But satellite presentation was not there for this storm at all and 996mb for a hurricane really? I don't know if hurricane classification has changed but at cat 1 30 yrs ago is very different from a cat 1 today.