Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2021 General Discussion

Spartman

On 4/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, TimB84 said:

That’s where I would be alarmed. Outside of the cold season, highs, lows, everything has made a steady climb of anywhere from 3-5 degrees for the most part. UHI affects lows more than highs, and DTW is nearly 20 miles from downtown, yet the daily highs in July and August have increased by about 5 degrees over the last century. I thought for a minute that my use of the word “catastrophic” was extremist, but now that I see the data, I stand by my use of that word, because the data affirms it.

The only holdup I have when discussing AGW relates to the warming that took place from 1880s till the 1940s. The amount of increased CO2 was quite minimal, yet the warming was similar to the 1970s to 2010's. I mean....did 280ppm to 310ppm really make enough difference to equal the rise from 320 to 410ppm?

CO2_emissions_vs_concentrations_1751-201

global_temp_vs_carbon_dioxide_graph_620.gif

Here's some info I came across that may help. Surfing for stuff like this is fun. :)

In 1874, the station instrumentation at Chicago (a major station) included "Two standard barometers, three standard thermometers, one standard minimum thermometer, one standard maximum thermometer, one standard water-thermometer, one standard hygrometer, one standard anemometer, one self-register for anemometer, one standard wind-vane, one standard rain-gauge."  At Dodge City, Kansas (a lesser station) the instrumentation included "One standard barometer, one standard thermometer, one standard minimum thermometer, one standard maximum thermometer, one standard hygrometer, one standard anemometer, one small wind-vane, one standard rain gauge."

https://www.analogweather.com/-signal-service.html

And they were doing 3 times a day measurements.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jonger said:

The only holdup I have when discussing AGW relates to the warming that took place from 1880s till the 1940s. The amount of increased CO2 was quite minimal, yet the warming was similar to the 1970s to 2010's. I mean....did 280ppm to 310ppm really make enough difference to equal the rise from 320 to 410ppm?

CO2_emissions_vs_concentrations_1751-201

global_temp_vs_carbon_dioxide_graph_620.gif

That is interesting, and I’m not sure I have enough knowledge to really explain that. From a statistical perspective, I would caution you on the “warming was similar” statement: based on the second graph you provided, the trend line increases by about 0.3 degrees Celsius from 1880-1940 (0.005 degrees per year) and by about 1.0 degree Celsius from 1970-2015 (0.022 degrees per year). So the rate of warming was more than 4 times as fast during the latter period compared to the former. I’m not sure I would describe that as “similar.”

4 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Be careful guys, we have already pushed the envelope for this post. Climate change mantra has it's own category on the forum. We are suppose to be focused on April. A little OT isn't too bad, but AGW talk is for somewhere else. Thanks guys!

Fair enough, and my apologies. I’ve said what I wanted to say on the matter and no more. Back on topic, so how ‘bout that double digit temperature anomaly at ORD thus far this April?!

April has sure been warm for its start this year. The first week had anomalies up +20-25. The last week tho has been pretty avg. The next few days look avg to colder. Much needed rain the last few days. Total for April is running around 2" which is about double the avg for this time of year.

• Like 1

Today was a perfect example of how Spring can be pretty but it still overall annoying as hell with its allergies. I want to say the flowering trees are 2 weeks ahead of normal but I don't even know what normal is anymore. They haven't been flowering till early May in recent years but I know thats late. Last year around this time we started diving right into a Winter pattern which pretty much halted any Spring production.

FB_IMG_1618356251589.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

There are definitely way too many for a science forum that is for sure.

I mean I agree that it probably doesn’t belong in a thread discussing April 2021 weather in the Midwest, but I am disappointed in the number of fellow weather enthusiasts who put their fingers in their ears when it comes to science.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malacka11 said:

They said it could not be done... They were wrong.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_60.png

My mom last night "Dave rexroth (local TV met) said we might have snowflakes Thursday!?"

me "yes. that's April 15. the same day we had 1.5" last year. then 3.5" April 17. Then 0.7" May 10. And many flakes in between"

mom "I remember but I thought this spring would be different"

me *snickers*

• Like 2

You're in a top floor hotel room and wake up with a massive tornado (wedge, of course) bearing down.  Where do you hide?

I'm on a long term assignment in EF5land, in a corner room of your typical cheap, new, generic Hilton brands construction.  10' (sw facing) and 40 '(nw)  of exposed walls, 8' of those the bathroom with just a glassed door shower, no tub for protection.  I'd guess a direct hit from a major tornado would drive all kinds of debris through the exterior walls, which being on the top (4th) floor would be about the most likely in the building to fail.  Flat roof probably goes quick.

Hide in the hall?  Unfortunately, big windows on both ends of that emergency wind tunnel.  Elevator lobby alcove is somewhat better, no window on the (ne) exposed wall, but no side room that would provide an interior wall.  Second best option?  Maybe try to get to the 3rd or 2nd floor alcove?

Stairwell, luckily across from my door, seems like the best bet.  Bigger block (maybe 9"x24"?) bricks, all around, but I don't know if they are reinforced, hollow, etc.  Go as far down as possible (depending on how many patrons get in there), right?  All that metal staircasing potentially coming down on me is a bit unsettling, but I guess if the stairwell gets enough damage for that then the winds and debris towards the top would probably be pretty bad.

No basement, and maybe not enough time to run down 3 flights of stairs and then through the long hallway and passed the sw facing glassed lobby to the somewhat interior bathrooms (that probably couldn't fit in just the first floor guests).  The ground floor staff laundry room might be best if the machines lined the exterior wall.

Maybe I should buy a bike helmet....

• Weenie 1

23 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Today was a perfect example of how Spring can be pretty but it still overall annoying as hell with its allergies. I want to say the flowering trees are 2 weeks ahead of normal but I don't even know what normal is anymore. They haven't been flowering till early May in recent years but I know thats late. Last year around this time we started diving right into a Winter pattern which pretty much halted any Spring production.

FB_IMG_1618356251589.jpg

SE MI/NW OH-------Credit to Channel 13Image

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

SE MI/NW OH-------Credit to Channel 13Image

I wonder how they can tell that? Unless they are going by a specific tree or something. It just seems very hard to figure out something like that since everything does not always bloom at the same pace as everything else. Some trees are more susceptible to the weather when they bloom than others are. 

5 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Pretty chilly evening to be planting trees lol, but did it anyway.  Planted wildfire black gum, and dawn redwood.  

Here's a shot of the dawn redwood.  This puppy could be well over 100ft tall someday. :tomato:

jojo (1 of 1).jpg

Jesus, not sure if this pertains to your exact type but according to Wikipedia they grow to "at least 165 feet". That's some tree you've got there. 

Just now, cyclone77 said:

That's it lol.  Go big or go home! :P

One day, I hope to have a property where I can house a tree (or two or three) of that size but suburban living won't cut it :D 

Congrats though, that thing will be beautiful in a few decades. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Jesus, not sure if this pertains to your exact type but according to Wikipedia they grow to "at least 165 feet". That's some tree you've got there. 

First it has to survive those first ten years of teenagers texting while driving and leaving the roadway, anhydrous wagons breaking tongues and combines running between fields with the heads on before it can even think of those lofty goals. Being that close to the road is kind of a crap-shoot (please pardon the expression).