Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2021 Discussion

Torch Tiger

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most model guidance is cooling the column pretty quickly over the interior, but whether or not it becomes a prolifc snow maker will be so dependent on exactly how that ULL tracks underneath SNE. The orientation matters....if the ULL is more elongated E-W, that is probably good for snow getting into more regions. But having it more circular or elongated N-S then it would be less favorable for snow in SNE...you'd prob see more snow out in NY State and maybe VT on that type of setup.

I was just looking at late April '87. The ULL was more elongated, but it had a real sharp piece of energy and brought the low almost NNW and put central and ern areas right in the money spot where all the forcing was on the west side of the srfc low.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1987/us0429.php

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was just looking at late April '87. The ULL was more elongated, but it had a real sharp piece of energy and brought the low almost NNW and put central and ern areas right in the money spot where all the forcing was on the west side of the srfc low.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1987/us0429.php

I you know I have trouble remembering that one...

I was living in Acton at the time, teenager ... I don't remember a big snow storm but I know the reference etc... But I remember one afternoon, we had partial leaf out - is that the one?  I think it was like the 24th or 25th ...something late in the month.  We were cold rain in the afternoon, and I remember right around as dusk was coming on the rain was over to snow at about the same rate as the light faded - I'm not sure if that's the same event though.  I remember walking up to the gym to get my 2 hours of basketball pick-up games in when I should have been doing homework ... heh, and noting the snow was sticking to the maple leafs.... etc.   But it didn't like cut power or anything and I don't recall much else about that event.

damn

I just checked the models and based on what I am seeing it appears a low is going to be developing underneath Long Island and undergo rapid cyclogenesis, developing into a monster ocean low reminiscent of April 1st 1997. It is later in April, but the low appears to strengthen so drastically on the Euro and Navy that it dynamically cools the atmosphere and changes the rain over to heavy snow and blizzard conditions. The models aren’t showing it with the snow map algorithms, but based on the upper levels of the atmosphere as well as the strength of the low, the models support mostly snow after starting as rain. The upper levels are well below freezing with a low rapidly strengthening after transferring under LI, which screams blizzard not only in the berkshires but right down to the south shore and possibly even the cape. Based on the Canadian, which is the lower envelope of guidance in terms of snow potential, approximately .5 of liquid falls as rain before the upper levels dynamically cool enough to support snow, and from that point to the end of the storm approximately 1 in of qpf falls, which translates to roughly 6-8 inches in the lower elevations with 12+ in the higher elevations (due to ratios). This is the LOW end. If you look at the navy or euro, the low develops earlier, strengthens more, and brings in more cold air which lead to not only increased QPF but higher ratios, so it supports 30+ in the higher terrain with 18-24+ right down to the south shore. In this type of early spring nor’easter threat, the snow map algorithms are useless. The upper levels and dynamics tell a different story than the 10:1 snow maps as well as the surface maps. My official forecast is a blend of the euro, navy and Canadian:

Worcester Hills and Berkshires: 20-30 inches, iso 40

I95 corridor: 15-25 inches, iso 30

south shore: 8-16 inches, iso 20

cape: 6-12 inches, iso 15

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 12

11 minutes ago, George001 said:

I just checked the models and based on what I am seeing it appears a low is going to be developing underneath Long Island and undergo rapid cyclogenesis, developing into a monster ocean low reminiscent of April 1st 1997. It is later in April, but the low appears to strengthen so drastically on the Euro and Navy that it dynamically cools the atmosphere and changes the rain over to heavy snow and blizzard conditions. The models aren’t showing it with the snow map algorithms, but based on the upper levels of the atmosphere as well as the strength of the low, the models support mostly snow after starting as rain. The upper levels are well below freezing with a low rapidly strengthening after transferring under LI, which screams blizzard not only in the berkshires but right down to the south shore and possibly even the cape. Based on the Canadian, which is the lower envelope of guidance in terms of snow potential, approximately .5 of liquid falls as rain before the upper levels dynamically cool enough to support snow, and from that point to the end of the storm approximately 1 in of qpf falls, which translates to roughly 6-8 inches in the lower elevations with 12+ in the higher elevations (due to ratios). This is the LOW end. If you look at the navy or euro, the low develops earlier, strengthens more, and brings in more cold air which lead to not only increased QPF but higher ratios, so it supports 30+ in the higher terrain with 18-24+ right down to the south shore. In this type of early spring nor’easter threat, the snow map algorithms are useless. The upper levels and dynamics tell a different story than the 10:1 snow maps as well as the surface maps. My official forecast is a blend of the euro, navy and Canadian:

You could go higher there but a conservative 15-40” for the region is optimal at this lead time. Plenty of time to adjust up as we get closer.  

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, George001 said:

Some career advice for you...whatever you decide to do, DO NOT consider a career in meteorology....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Will , verbatim when would you say it could flip to snow around 2K Hunter area 

I figure I would need be there by 3-4 to be safe 

Yeah prob late afternoon/early Thu evening that run it flips there.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, George001 said:

Are you for real?  Lmfao...holy smokes. 

58 minutes ago, George001 said:

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth . . .

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Where would a solution like that bring accumulating snow?

I think most of interior SNE would get accumulating snow if it played out like that. Prob significant snows for at least the Catskills/Berkshires, NW CT and prob N ORH county/Monads.....the details would determine if bigger impact snows hit the rest of the interior. Those details won't become clearer for a couple more days. The ULL could trend north or south....or weaker or stronger.