Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2021 Discussion

Torch Tiger

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No, You are def more than 73". Though 84" might be a bit on the high side if we did a long term average.

I don't think the GYX average is 30 years though....I think they only started in 1996. If you included the putrid 1980s into the 1981-2010 normals, then they would be less than 84".

I'm surprised Worcester is above normal, weird way to do it though. I suppose if I kept better track of every event at my house I'm probably right about normal.

11 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I'm surprised Worcester is above normal, weird way to do it though. I suppose if I kept better track of every event at my house I'm probably right about normal.

I'm not. That city always finds a way....just far enough (insert direction)...this year it happened to be southwest.

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Getting 9.6" on 12/5 turned out to be the difference (barring something weird happening this month)

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Definitely a weird winter.  Skunked in Jan and March.  Good Feb and Dec (and Oct)

HC expanding 'CC' f-up winter ...

get used to it ... it's the rest of our lives, ultimately en route to a destination of no winter as far N as Maine given enough decades -

• Like 3

That Euro is on 3 consecutive days of contiguous improvement in the complexion of the sensible weather from Wed onwards... Now, right out to the end of the run. 

3 days ago, we were good for a Wednesday nape day, with a so-so on Thursday...Then 2 days ago, we were good for both Wed and Thur being solid napers ...with hints of not being quite as bad in the general synoptsis for the weekend.  In the last 24 hours -worth of cycles the model has morphed down right balmy, for days.

The GFS ??  man - if I were to anthropomorphize that model out of frustration alone, it would be petty on-purpose finding needling reasons to never admit summer is still coming. What an asshole!  

lol.  But the Euro has us in a COL column from D 3 to to 10.   We are the fortunate roulette spinners of ending up under the ridge node that separates the troughs of a seasonal/climate Omega block.  Spring omega blocks are classic across N/A/  April phenomenon. The set up features a pin-wheel - ridge - pin-wheel configuration from west to east.  

If your region ends up in one of the pinwheels... you're f'ed. 

If you are lucky and end up under the narrow ridge the separates the two - such that the Euro is attempting to hold our region under for week straight ( hmm...), the rich get richer.

It's interesting how we've transformed from a nasty cold stormy look that was of course .1 F too mild to allow  snow ( so, 'hell' for short), into a relative utopia for the Mid Atlantic to Maine axis like this.  Weird... It's gotta be too good to be true.

Meanwhile, the GEF teleconnectors are selling 72.4" of new snow for NYC to PWM ...solidifying that particular modeling technology as the crowning achievement in American math -   f!  I dunno...maybe we'll just verify  a soothingly compromised 13 days of 38 F mist instead.

Not sure which way to go.  The Euro solution simply cannot happen in a GEFs telecon layout ... one of these two philosophies is going perform better -

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That Euro is on 3 consecutive days of contiguous improvement in the complexion of the sensible weather from Wed onwards... Now, right out to the end of the run. 

3 days ago, we were good for a Wednesday nape day, with a so-so on Thursday...Then 2 days ago, we were good for both Wed and Thur being solid napers ...with hints of not being quite as bad in the general synoptsis for the weekend.  In the last 24 hours -worth of cycles the model has morphed down right balmy, for days.

The GFS ??  man - if I were to anthropomorphize that model out of frustration alone, it would be petty on-purpose finding needling reasons to never admit summer is still coming. What an asshole!  

lol.  But the Euro has us in a COL column from D 3 to to 10.   We are the fortunate roulette spinners of ending up under the ridge node that separates the troughs of a seasonal/climate Omega block.  Spring omega blocks are classic across N/A/  April phenomenon. The set up features a pin-wheel - ridge - pin-wheel configuration from west to east.  

If your region ends up in one of the pinwheels... you're f'ed. 

If you are lucky and end up under the narrow ridge the separates the two - such that the Euro is attempting to hold our region under for week straight ( hmm...), the rich get richer.

It's interesting how we've transformed from a nasty cold stormy look that was of course .1 F too mild to allow  snow ( so, 'hell' for short), into a relative utopia for the Mid Atlantic to Maine axis like this.  Weird... It's gotta be too good to be true.

Meanwhile, the GEF teleconnectors are selling 72.4" of new snow for NYC to PWM ...solidifying that particular modeling technology as the crowning achievement in American math -   f!  I dunno...maybe we'll just verify  a soothingly compromised 13 days of 38 F mist instead.

Not sure which way to go.  The Euro solution simply cannot happen in a GEFs telecon layout ... one of these two philosophies is going perform better -

I didn’t think there ever was a cold stormy look for our area. You could see the wheel o rrhea was going to stay east and we’d be left under strong HP with warm W/NW flow. That’s why I kept questioning where some of these rainy and cold for days forecasts were coming from. I mean maybe the EPS showed that, but who cares. That has been awful all winter 

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I didn’t think there ever was a cold stormy look for our area. You could see the wheel o rrhea was going to stay east and we’d be left under strong HP with warm W/NW flow. That’s why I kept questioning where some of these rainy and cold for days forecasts were coming from. I mean maybe the EPS showed that, but who cares. That has been awful all winter 

Who said it was rainy and cold for days and days?

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The big ocean storm is spinning well to the east and the western edge of the clouds is bisecting  New England.  Looking to my south it looks like mammatus clouds but I have never seen them outside of thunderstorm activity.  What would you classify these as?

clouds.jpg

It's mammatus. They can occur outside of thunderstorms.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The big ocean storm is spinning well to the east and the western edge of the clouds is bisecting  New England.  Looking to my south it looks like mammatus clouds but I have never seen them outside of thunderstorm activity.  What would you classify these as?

That's mammatus.  I've seen them outside of thunderstorms before too.

Ninja'd by Dendy.

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The problem is that you see what you want to see.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

HC expanding 'CC' f-up winter ...

get used to it ... it's the rest of our lives, ultimately en route to a destination of no winter as far N as Maine given enough decades -

Yeah winters as we know them to be are going to be a thing of the past eventually so I plan on making the best of the winters we have left, by enjoying and tracking every last blizzard until that happens.

• Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

Yeah winters as we know them to be are going to be a thing of the past eventually so I plan on making the best of the winters we have left, by enjoying and tracking every last blizzard until that happens.

Japan just recorded its earliest cherry blossom bloom in 1,200 years.

12.        hundred.           years.

- gee ...wonder why

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, George001 said:

Today is your lucky day because Dairy Queen plans to have Blizzards for years........

Image result for images of dairy queen blizzard

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, George001 said:

We'll never stop having blizzards. Even a place like DCA gets them and they average about 6C warmer than we do in the winter....we'll never reach that warm...prob wouldn't even get halfway there. In addition, New England is in a more geographically favorable location anyway sticking out into the Atlantic.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Do they really have records back that far????

I dunno... maybe -

That was a snark rip from a CNN 'Project Planet' headline, which as an org ...they shimmer artfully in turning screws with shock and awe headline tactics so it says what it says - 

I would add, though, that comparing Japan's legacy to the U.S. is like comparing an 1854 Petrus, to grapes still on the vine so they might -

Man, if so...1200 years is like the typical seam -length on an actual geological Epoch turn ... so that would be an impressive record to actually break.

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Japan just recorded its earliest cherry blossom bloom in 1,200 years.

12.        hundred.           years.

- gee ...wonder why

Didn't they have a record snowy January as well? That sounds like an awesome combo to me, crushing snowfall followed by straight slingshot into heavy heavy spring.