• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2021 Observations.

John1122

I’m not sure where to put this but this is a nice write up or overview of April 27 2011. Someone may want to start a thread so we can have separate conversations about that event so we don’t clutter this thread. Here’s MRX’s presentation....

https://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=61e843c3094e4b00bf8b5568034dde63

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PowellVolz said:

[mention]John1122 [/mention] thought you might be interested in this..

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSMRX&e=202104271336

Thank you! I'm going to assume it didn't quite cross over into Campbell, but that's as close as it could get without doing so. The debris ball stayed in the air well into Campbell. Looks like we still stand at 1 tornado in the last 70 years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It feels like late March or Early April today rather than May 10th. Didn't get out of the 50s today and it's down to 47 right now. 

Mt Leconte will be down around freezing the next two mornings. Saw were Beach Mt had snow showers over the weekend. It was actually coming down pretty hard.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still not been terrible temp wise. Nights are in the low to mid 50s because the air is so dry and we have just been a touch over 80 today with around 79 the prior two days. Looks to get hotter over the next 3-4 days then maybe some rain. I've been watering my tomatoes at night but nothing else so far. The creeks are still running above normal for this time of year, so there's pretty good soil moisture still available.

• Like 2

Still not been terrible temp wise. Nights are in the low to mid 50s because the air is so dry and we have just been a touch over 80 today with around 79 the prior two days. Looks to get hotter over the next 3-4 days then maybe some rain. I've been watering my tomatoes at night but nothing else so far. The creeks are still running above normal for this time of year, so there's pretty good soil moisture still available.

I’ve had to start watering my lawn. I’m fine with losing my fescue in August but I’m not going to lose it in May.

• Like 1

Had some nice rains already today and the main event is still on the way. Forecast for tomorrow is amazing for nearly June. Mid 60s and mid 40s. 

We had a very strong storm roll through about 4:45. 40-50mph winds and a lot of lightning. Velocity was showing 60-70mph over the top of me but that hardly makes it to the ground. Not much rain but I ain’t complaining.

• Like 1

Some much needed rain this evening.  Still need more, but a good start.  Probably won't have to water the garden for a couple of days.  You all can thank me for the pattern change.  Stepped up and bought some irrigation stuff for my garden this week.  Works like a champ.  This guaranteed rain.  I will be setting up a GoFundMe which will help fund this sacrifice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
We have received about 1" of rainfall here in Kingsport for the month of June.  Not terrible, but we have struck-out quite a bit on days where rain seemed a given.   Had a lot of wind yesterday that seemed to come out of the blue.  

I keep missing out also here in N Knox. I picked up .22” while under a flood watch. Cells just kept splitting me.

I ended up with around 5 and a half inches of rain over the course of the week. Rainy, but nothing like last year or the year before when I was having a 3-4+ inch rain event every few days. Still we have had historic floods 4 times in the past 30 months. That's due to having the rainiest years in the last 100 years or so back to back.

• Like 2

Sunday night I saw lightning and heard thunder locally for the first time since maybe April. Could be March. It was a great night time light show. Storm missed by a couple miles, which actually improved line of sight with the lightning. 

A week prior we had thunderstorms in Florida, but that's not news in June down there, ha. Night lightning is not a Florida specialty though. Twas so nice to see frequent lightning back home on Sunday. 

• Like 1