• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern Sanitarium

buckeyefan1

While I will say it seems likely we end up with a below-well below normal temp for December, our inability to capitalize on otherwise promising patterns has rendered long range forecasts and teleconnections almost useless to me for trying to predict winter weather. It’s a tough pill to swallow seeing the temps coming the next few days and not having any storm systems remotely close to even track. I’m not done with this winter yet, I am liking all the early cold, but at some point we’re going to have to do something on the winter weather front. Outside of one moderate system last year and a snow-rain system in early December 2018, it’s been completely dead here on the snow front.

6 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

It’s a tough pill to swallow seeing the temps coming the next few days and not having any storm systems remotely close to even track. I’m not done with this winter yet, I am liking all the early cold, but at some point we’re going to have to do something on the winter weather front. Outside of one moderate system last year and a snow-rain system in early December 2018, it’s been completely dead here on the snow front.

I hear ya.   My area of North GA hasn’t had measurable snow for three years now.  I realize this is the south etc., but I’ve been here for 30 years and most years at least early on had at least a couple decent snows per year.

We recently bought a home in Ohio (mostly for our son at Ohio State) and of course we’re not there now while they are having their first good snow…

On 12/22/2022 at 7:27 PM, NorthHillsWx said:

While I will say it seems likely we end up with a below-well below normal temp for December, our inability to capitalize on otherwise promising patterns has rendered long range forecasts and teleconnections almost useless to me for trying to predict winter weather. It’s a tough pill to swallow seeing the temps coming the next few days and not having any storm systems remotely close to even track. I’m not done with this winter yet, I am liking all the early cold, but at some point we’re going to have to do something on the winter weather front. Outside of one moderate system last year and a snow-rain system in early December 2018, it’s been completely dead here on the snow front.

Yeah it sucks and we just have to wait out the coming torch and see what happens after. We are probably at least into mid January at this point.

• Sad 1

I I joined this site 12 years ago or so, mainly to watch for winter weather.  I used to get so excited to weenie watch but it feels like the last 6 or 7 years have all been duds.  I check in now about once every 2 weeks and am disappointed.  Climate change sucks.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think we all need a trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA

This Afternoon
Snow before 4pm, then snow showers after 4pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 33. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 31 to 37 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow before 10pm, then snow showers likely between 10pm and 1am, then snow after 1am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 24. Windy, with a southwest wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Tuesday
Snow before 7am, then snow showers between 7am and 10am, then snow after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. High near 28. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 35 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, blueheels2 said:

I I joined this site 12 years ago or so, mainly to watch for winter weather.  I used to get so excited to weenie watch but it feels like the last 6 or 7 years have all been duds.  I check in now about once every 2 weeks and am disappointed.  Climate change sucks.

Not to be "that guy", as my snowfall average is put to shame by a number of areas in the US, but not sure why anyone in the southeast outside of the mountains would invest much time in winter weather.  It just doesn't happen often enough.  As an example, I looked up Raleigh and they average like mid single digit snowfall per season.  An average like that means it will usually snow at some point.  Just taking the wintry weather as it comes seems like it would save a lot of grief.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not to be "that guy", as my snowfall average is put to shame by a number of areas in the US, but not sure why anyone in the southeast outside of the mountains would invest much time in winter weather.  It just doesn't happen often enough.  As an example, I looked up Raleigh and they average like mid single digit snowfall per season.  An average like that means it will usually snow at some point.  Just taking the wintry weather as it comes seems like it would save a lot of grief.

Actually, it is the novelty of wintry precipitation in the SE that makes it more exciting and magical when it finally occurs. I average less than just about every very active SE poster (a mere one in four winters and with many of those just minor or trace events) and yet that doesn't reduce my interest in following wx in winter, my favorite season to read and post about. In every winter, I have the hope that there will be the rare wintry event. And if I don't get any that winter, I don't feel I've wasted time because it was interesting to follow and discuss, regardless, because it is a fun hobby.

I'll add that there's a lot more than wintry wx IMBY that gets me interested in discussions even though it is most interesting when it is here, of course. I also enjoy following other aspects of winter. Examples:

- temperature, especially cold which I get here repeatedly every year

- indices, which I love to follow and compare to historical stats

- wintry wx prospects and history in other areas, like RDU and ATL

- Due to the high variability alone, it is much more interesting than following the dog days of summer.

Although it is hard to beat posting about wintry wx prospects IMBY like it is for many posters, most of my posts have nothing directly to do with wintry wx prospects here. If they did, I'd be hardly ever posting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It’s the chase for us. Most of us are weenies are heart. It’s get tough and frustrating 

• Thanks 1

Hello all...While we're waiting for the next storm to track, I'm needing some advice if you would?  Middle school STEM teacher here and in the planning stages for a 10-day summer camp in June.  Would like to do a weather/climate/environmental science theme with them (about 30 sixth thru eight graders).  I have a fairly substantial budget and am looking at purchasing 15 of the Kestrel 3500 pocket weather meters and a couple of automated weather stations...what's the difference between an ultrasonic vs wifi?  Any other suggestions for a  pocket/portable meter?  Are there any designed for used with an ipad (since each kid will have an ipad to use)?  Would like to take them to Roan, Mt. Mitchell, Lake James, Blue Ridge Parkway, and other places on fieldtrips to let them take readings and record them in a journal or on ipad as a 2 or 3 student team.  I am also going to let them go thru a storm-spotter class.  I am a newbie to pocket weather meters, outdoor stations, and such...I would love to hear suggestions from this wonderful, knowledgable, and, often comical group.  Are any of you meteorologists either professional, college-level, industry-level, or it's your passion that would be willing to guest lecture or do labs/simulations with these kids?  Anyone from the NWS/NOAA who I could schedule a field trip with?  Any of you in the sports medicine field that use weather monitors for athletic safety.  Any DOT people out there who would talk to the kids about your typical day on the job as far as severe weather and preparation?  Any one involved with agricultural weather monitoring who we could visit?  We are located in Mitchell county and would be willing to come to another venue (within 2 hours drive in an activity bus).  Any suggestions as to other weather-related activity we could do?  Moderators, if I could use this banter thread for initial suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  My email is [email protected] if that's a better route.  Thank you for reading and I welcome your help.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Sometime between Jan 26-Feb 2 will feature a widespread SE winter storm for parts of the forum. You heard it here first folks. #optimistic #turnthatfrownupsidedown

Lock it in...made air reservations today to be out of the area that week. It'll snow, and I'll be delayed in someplace like Chicago trying to get home.

• Haha 1

Not sure exactly where to ask this but I was just looking at the lower 48 via the GOES Image view (since there isn't much going on with the dismal rain falling right now...).  Almost the whole country is covered by clouds.  Has this ever occurred (I'm sure it has) and the exact opposite, has the entire lower 48 ever been without a cloud with satellite proof?

If this was a war all the weenies would be crushed and defeated by the Southeast ridge. Most would surrender but us weenies retreat and lay back until the next year and charge at the first Gfs run that shows snow. We will defeated at the battle of weinesburg but we will never give up. 

Our local met displayed a sobering statistic last night.  The annual average January snowfall in Norfolk since 1991 is 2.6 inches.  That's just pathetic.  We had huge storms in the 70s and 80s.  My parents always bragged about the big storms they got in the sixties.  Not anymore, and it's a long term thing.